Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by limecat »

The hosting company broke their network...or the part of it that the server is on.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RTE will be getting in on the sporting classics, starting this Thursday.
Here's the list.
16th April:   GAA - Clare v Offaly All-Ireland Hurling Final 1995
23nd April: GAA - Cork v Waterford, Munster Hurling Final, 2004
 30th April: GAA -   Offaly v Kerry All- Ireland Football Final, 1982
7th May: Rugby - Italy v Ireland, Women's Six Nations, 2013 (17.03.13)
14th May : Soccer - Qualifiers from 1974 & 2015  - Rep. of Ireland 3-0 USSR ON 30TH Oct 1974 + Rep. of Ireland 1-0 Germany on 8th Oct 2015
21st May: Rugby - Ireland v New Zealand, 2013 (24.11.13)
28th May :  Soccer –Qualifiers from 1981 & 2017  - 14/10/1981 WCQ Rep. of Ireland 3-2 France + 09/10/2017 WCQ Wales 0-1 Rep. of Ireland.
4th June :  Soccer - Qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Netherlands, 2001 (01/09/2001)
11th June:  Hockey - Spain v Ireland, Hockey World Cup Semi-Final, 2018 (04.08.18)
18th June:  Rugby - Ireland v New Zealand, 2018
Avoid the 7th of May, Italy 3-6 Ireland. Worst game of rugby ever. Simply awful. I watched it live.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:RTE will be getting in on the sporting classics, starting this Thursday.
Here's the list.
14th May : Soccer - Qualifiers from 1974 & 2015  - Rep. of Ireland 3-0 USSR ON 30TH Oct 1974 + Rep. of Ireland 1-0 Germany on 8th Oct 2015
28th May :  Soccer –Qualifiers from 1981 & 2017  - 14/10/1981 WCQ Rep. of Ireland 3-2 France + 09/10/2017 WCQ Wales 0-1 Rep. of Ireland.
4th June :  Soccer - Qualifier: Republic of Ireland v Netherlands, 2001 (01/09/2001)
11th June:  Hockey - Spain v Ireland, Hockey World Cup Semi-Final, 2018 (04.08.18)
Avoid the 7th of May, Italy 3-6 Ireland. Worst game of rugby ever. Simply awful. I watched it live.
I'm sort of wondering why they are rationing this? Looking at their programme schedule they could play a game every day (bumping some of the cr@p they have on would be an added bonus).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:RTE will be getting in on the sporting classics, starting this Thursday.
Here's the list.
And on the 21st May turn the tv off with five minutes to go.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Not really sure where to post this but ultimately it's a rave about Leinster, so I'll stick it here.

My Dad died unexpectedly last month (March 21st). He was a fit & healthy 67 year old; had a normal Friday - did some work on the house during the day, had a couple of beers and a packet of crisps that evening - but didn't wake up on the Saturday. Luckily I was able to fly back that Saturday evening and my sister in Oz flew back the following day, to be with my Mam and other siblings.

It's strange to post this here but I guess most people on this forum actually saw him at Leinster or Ireland games, maybe many times, without knowing. Also, a lot here would share a special bond with a friend or family member over Leinster Rugby, just like we did.

My Dad grew up in Marino (not exactly rugby country) but played a couple of seasons with Arklow when he was younger - retiring after he dislocated his shoulder for the second time, playing against the Spanish international side. I went to a GAA school so was the only big rugby fan in my year. A few of the lads had/have a bit of interest in rugby but it's really just something I shared with my Dad.
He started bringing me to matches in the early/mid 90s when I was a young lad. I remember him lifting me over the turnstiles at Donnybrook - don't know if it was because I got in free or they were too heavy for me to push, or both.
We went to the interpros when that's all there really was, and as the leagues and cups developed, we went to more and more games. We've been season ticket holders for years and must have attended hundreds of games together (including Ireland games).

Some of the first memories I have were:
Barbarians - South Africa in Landsdowne Road in 1994 - South Africa had pockets in their shorts and some of the backs stood around with their hands in their pockets
Leinster beating Ulster 31-3 in the 95/96 season - I think it was in this game that Victor Costello tried to chip the fullback/winger and booted the ball right into his face.
The Heineken Cup games of the same season - Pontypridd and Cardiff games.

As much as I loved going to games in Donnybrook, the RDS, Landsdowne Road (and Croker), my best memories were when we traveled to games. We were at the finals in Edinburgh, Cardiff, London and Bilbao (missed last year's one) as well as away victories over Wasps, Northampton, Ulster and Munster. We didn't have a 100% travelling record though, having been at losses away to Munster (when they really got under Contepomi's skin in Cork I think), Wasps (still remember their fans singing "Come on you Boys in Black"), Biarritz and Clermont.

Even when I moved abroad a few years back, he kept the extra season ticket. It does the rounds throughout the season, but is always there for me for my trips home. We would text and chat weekly about Leinster and it's going to be really tough, when rugby recommences, watching the games knowing he's not there and not being able to chat to him about them.

There's so much more I could say about him, but I just wanted to share how big a part Leinster rugby played in our lives and how much I cherish that.

Laighin Abú
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Sorry for your loss Laighin Break.
Thanks for sharing.
My mother died nearly 11 years ago and rarely a day goes by without some memory of her popping in to my head or there's something I'd love to chat to her about.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

That's a lovely post Laighin Break. Sorry for your loss.

I remember that game against Ponty particularly well. Richie Collins slapped the ball out of Niall Hogan's hand when he was putting it into the scrum [a la 'Hand of Back] and Hogie just went nuts and started punching him in his massive bald head! Nought to sixty in half a second. One of my favourite Hogie memories. Such a competitor!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Sorry for your loss Laighin Break but it’s lovely to read your story about your relationship with your Dad - thank you for sharing
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes a lovely story. So nice to read apart from the fact that he's gone and so young... (younger than oldschool :shock: )

Many people would choose to go in their sleep at 67 rather than painfully at 85.

Personally I fancy peacefully in my sleep at 108 after a steak dinner and a few bevvies.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Personally I fancy peacefully in my sleep at 108 after a steak dinner and a few bevvies.
I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my father, and not screaming in terror, like his passengers.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sincere condolences @Laighin_Break. Your story is a beautiful example of "nurturing the game" and well done to your late Dad.

There's very little in the world, other than the odd great music track, that is more evocative than a special sport's memory. When ir was shared with someone whom you loved or admired, it's even more special.

Nice note and really glad you shared it. It reminds the rest of us of our good fortune to be able to look forward to more days of great memories. Laigin Abu
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:https://youtu.be/brhImHtXW7U

:D :D :D
Love it!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

These painkillers I'm on :D
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Tik Tok teens and Kpop stans
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Tik Tok teens and Kpop stans
Just saw some images now. It was like a cold, wet Friday night in the RDS v Zebre.
Is every Trump fan a hillbillie? Or just the ones they interview?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Tik Tok teens and Kpop stans
Just saw some images now. It was like a cold, wet Friday night in the RDS v Zebre.
Is every Trump fan a hillbillie? Or just the ones they interview?
In fairness, there would probably more in the RDS. Less than 6,200 there - and that includes all people in the venue such as security, Trump organisers etc.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Got meself a nice sun burnt face on the beach today.
Love it!!!
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Friday lunchtime team announcement. A feeling of normality. Bliss.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”