Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Love Spreads was/is an absolute belter, in my opinion. I heard Second Coming before The Stone Roses [on account of my relative youth], and the former will always be one of my favourite albums ... despite its failings. It was never going to measure up to the debut, but I can't think of too many albums that do.
There's the downside of me listening to it probably once in my early 20s and thinking it wasn't relevant. Maybe it wasn't to me back then. I've stuck with the opinion of a kid for 20 years and you know what they're full of. Mind you, I don't really listen to much pop/rock music any more so maybe I've missed that boat.
These were one of the bands that grew on me, It felt like hard work at the time but when it clicked- I could not get enough of them.
I felt the same with the Smyths, but after many many attempts, they are still pants IMO
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Stone Roses get back together and now this shower break up! Happy Days!! :-)

Irish pop act Westlife are to split “amicably” after 12 years and 26 top ten hits, the group announced tonight.

Westlife will bow out following a farewell tour next year and said they were looking forward to “new ventures”.

Over the course of their career the group has achieved 14 number one hits.

In a statement the group said tonight: “Over the years Westlife has become so much more to us than just a band. Westlife are a family.”

The group — for many years managed by Louis Walsh — survived the departure of one of its founding members Bryan McFadden and continued seamlessly as a four-piece.

Singer Mark Feehily also won admiration for announcing he was gay when the boy band was at the peak of its success.

They produced hit after hit, with singles such as Swear It Again and Flying Without Wings among their number ones.

Many of their big hits over the years were cover versions and they capitalised on a swing revival by recording a Rat Pack-style album Allow Us To Be Frank.

Members Feehily, Kian Egan, Shane Filan and Nicky Byrne are due to release a greatest hits album shortly.

They said they had “countless memories that we will forever cherish” from their years together.

In a statement posted on their website, they said: “We today announce our plan to go our separate ways after a greatest hits collection this Christmas and a farewell tour next year.

“The decision is entirely amicable and after spending all of our adult life together so far, we want to have a well-earned break and look at new ventures.

“We see the greatest hits collection and the farewell tour as the perfect way to celebrate our incredible career along with our fans. We are really looking forward to getting out on the tour and seeing our fans one last time.” It continued: “Over the years Westlife has become so much more to us than just a band. Westlife are a family.

“We would like to thank our fans who have been with us on this amazing journey and are part of our family too.

“We never imagined when we started out in 1998 that 14 years later we would still be recording, touring and having hits together. It has been a dream come true for all of us.”

Walsh said the band wanted to "go out on top" and "not be like other boy bands". He said the group were "great ambassadors to Ireland" and that they would continue to work in the entertainment area.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

4 day weekend

see rant thread
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Thanks to careful (scabby) use of my annual leave days, I've worked my last 5 day week for the year :D
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Cianostays wrote:Thanks to careful (scabby) use of my annual leave days, I've worked my last 5 day week for the year :D
Does that mean you are coming to Edinburgh next week?
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

aisling7 wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Thanks to careful (scabby) use of my annual leave days, I've worked my last 5 day week for the year :D
Saving the pennies for Montpellier trip so I shall have to miss Edinburgh this time. Don't forget your glasses :wink:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Cianostays wrote:
aisling7 wrote:
Saving the pennies for Montpellier trip so I shall have to miss Edinburgh this time. Don't forget your glasses :wink:
Glasses?? What glasses??!! ;)
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Someone's finally had the audacity to challenge the Haka! (Lets see if it works tho!)
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

kermischocolate wrote:
Someone's finally had the audacity to challenge the Haka! (Lets see if it works tho!)
Not for the first time,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUHwCje ... re=related
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I can't watch the youtube link at work but I meant someones finally done it since the IRBs new rules about not challenging it.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Had a job interview today. Went well enough to have second interview later this week.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

IanD wrote:Had a job interview today. Went well enough to have second interview later this week.
Great stuff, the best of luck with it.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

brian_c wrote:
IanD wrote:Had a job interview today. Went well enough to have second interview later this week.
Thanks Brian

Delighted to say I dont have to go for the second interview... I start next Tuesday.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Congrats :)
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

IanD wrote:Delighted to say I dont have to go for the second interview... I start next Tuesday.
Good man, fair play!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

IanD wrote:
brian_c wrote:
Thanks Brian

Delighted to say I dont have to go for the second interview... I start next Tuesday.
Great news - congrats
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
josie
Graduate

Post by josie »

Yay Ian!!
Oh pointy birds
Oh pointy, pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy, nointy
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Well done Ian. If I recall it's been a while so that's really great news.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Fair play to ya Ian, good luck with the new job
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not getting the job I wanted because that idiot Ian did instead. Sorry, should have put this in the rant thread.

P.s Congrats Ian! :D