Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Paddy Considine,

Acting goodness
And directing goodness too now. Was amazed to read he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.
No way, that's incredible. Haven't seen him in a bad role yet, and the man can wear a moustache in an impressive 70's fashion

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Completely forgot that one.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I met Rob Gretton (name drop name drop name drop) once, Paddy Considine nailed him completely in 24hpp
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Yeah couldn't believe it either when I heard it myself.

Good piece on it here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8440 ... elief.html

Really makes you like and respect the guy even more....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:I met Rob Gretton (name drop name drop name drop) once, Paddy Considine nailed him completely in 24hpp
Wow! :shock:

He was terrific as him in 24Hpp, ("I know what you are Tony, you don't know what you are, but I do. You're a C**t!") but I also thought Toby Kebbell (who played Paddy's brother in 'Dead Mans Shoes') was very good as him in 'Control' taking the same character but playing him a very different way.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Threesome :)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Xanthippe wrote:Threesome :)
Really? I thought it was rubbish.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Avenger wrote:
Really? I thought it was rubbish.
I quite enjoyed it, don't know if it is rave thread material, but better than most of the stuff on tv nowadays.
Get in the f%~king bag.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Big weekend?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Should this be in teh rave or rant thread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15348374

The Stone Roses to reunite for tour

Influential Manchester rock band The Stone Roses have announced the end of a 15-year split for a series of gigs.

The band will play two shows at Heaton Park, Manchester, on 29 and 30 June before embarking on a world tour.

At a London press conference, singer Ian Brown said his friendship with John Squire had been fixed and the group hoped to release a new record soon.

The Manchester band, which was formed in 1983, recorded just two albums before they dissolved in 1996.

Their 1989 self-titled debut is regarded as a seminal work, combining psychedelic pop and funky basslines.

The classic line-up of the band were all present for the announcement: Brown, John Squire, Mani (Gary Mounfield) and Reni (Alan Wren).

Supposedly named after a novel by Sarah Gainham, the band were at the forefront of the "Madchester" indie scene in the late 1980s and early 1990s, which also spawned the likes of Happy Mondays and The Charlatans.

They scored hits with tracks including Fool's Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, She Bangs The Drums and Love Spreads - their biggest single, reaching number two in 1994.

In the year their debut album came out, they topped NME magazine's readers' poll in four categories - best new band, band of the year, album of the year and single of the year, for Fools Gold.

Legal wranglings as they tried to part company with their original record label kept the band occupied until 1991, after which they took another three years to produce the follow-up, Second Coming.

Drummer Reni quit in 1995, followed months later by guitarist Squire.

The band struggled on for another six months with former Simply Red session guitarist Aziz Ibrahim before finally splitting up against a backdrop of internal arguments and legal cases.

Frontman Brown went on to pursue a solo career (and made a brief cameo in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) while bassist Mani joined Primal Scream.

Squire formed his own band The Seahorses and has also forged a career as an artist.

Drummer Reni was the most enigmatic of the quartet and largely disappeared from the public eye after their dissolution.

In recent years, rumours of a Stone Roses reunion have regularly made the press, only to be quickly scotched by individual members of the band.

Earlier this year, guitarist Squire told NME: "When it's just a get-together for a big payday and everyone gets their old clothes out, that seems tragic to me."

He added that he had not been approached with any concrete financial plans for a Stone Roses reunion.

Tuesday's announcement, supposed to be a surprise, had been heavily trailed in the British press.

One person who knew in advance was New Order's Peter Hook, who told BBC 6 Music he had been "tipped off last week".

"Because the band had such a short life, there was always this wish that they would reform - because they burned quite brightly and disappeared," he said.

"I think that they'll make their own magic.

"We're all ready to celebrate the Stone Roses coming back because we all want to celebrate that wonderful, golden period in Manchester history."

Hinting at how the band members had made peace with one another, Hook said: "When you talk face-to-face and you look into someone's eyes, it's definitely a much easier and much stronger way of communicating than doing it through your lawyers.

"You find the thing you loved about each other at the start."
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

limecat wrote:Should this be in teh rave or rant thread?
Rave
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Avenger wrote:
limecat wrote:Should this be in teh rave or rant thread?
Rave
So Stone Roses reforming? Does that count as being a Second Comming?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

limecat wrote: The Stone Roses to reunite for tour
Holy f*ck. Never thought I'd see the day.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

hugonaut wrote:
limecat wrote: The Stone Roses to reunite for tour
Holy f*ck. Never thought I'd see the day.
Did I miss something? I loved them in 1989, bought the album as soon as it came out, had singles and all that. But I think the last time they did anything I enjoyed was 1990. One good album and about 3 singles that weren't on it (depending on the version you got) and.... nothing worth listening to for 20 years? Also whatever voice yer man had is now shot... Actually come to think of it he was always hilariously out of tune live.

I don't think I'll be forking out 100 yoyos to go to the 02 to see them...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote: Did I miss something? I loved them in 1989, bought the album as soon as it came out, had singles and all that. But I think the last time they did anything I enjoyed was 1990.
Did they not famously record nothing between 1989 and 1994? 5 year gap between 1st and 2nd album and by that time whatever they had was lost/useless.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: Did I miss something? I loved them in 1989, bought the album as soon as it came out, had singles and all that. But I think the last time they did anything I enjoyed was 1990.
Did they not famously record nothing between 1989 and 1994? 5 year gap between 1st and 2nd album and by that time whatever they had was lost/useless.
I thought they released "fools gold" in 1990? The album was about April 1989.
EDIT
Teh Wikis says it was November 1989 for Fools gold. So yeah, nearly 22 years since they did anything worth listening to.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

fourthirtythree wrote:
johng wrote:
I thought they released "fools gold" in 1990? The album was about April 1989.
EDIT
Teh Wikis says it was November 1989 for Fools gold. So yeah, nearly 22 years since they did anything worth listening to.
Love Spreads was/is an absolute belter, in my opinion. I heard Second Coming before The Stone Roses [on account of my relative youth], and the former will always be one of my favourite albums ... despite its failings. It was never going to measure up to the debut, but I can't think of too many albums that do.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Being nominated for the "Lenny's" 'Looniness' award. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

The Irish Times running extracts from Cruiskeen Lawn throughout October.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Fitzybobs
Bookworm

Post by Fitzybobs »

limecat wrote:
The Stone Roses to reunite for tour
At the press conference today, Ian Brown said Ireland was second on the list after Manchester!
Funny lads actually, it's a good press conference.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote: Love Spreads was/is an absolute belter, in my opinion. I heard Second Coming before The Stone Roses [on account of my relative youth], and the former will always be one of my favourite albums ... despite its failings. It was never going to measure up to the debut, but I can't think of too many albums that do.
There's the downside of me listening to it probably once in my early 20s and thinking it wasn't relevant. Maybe it wasn't to me back then. I've stuck with the opinion of a kid for 20 years and you know what they're full of. Mind you, I don't really listen to much pop/rock music any more so maybe I've missed that boat.