Irish airspace closure thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Irish airspace closure thread

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:Stop! Stop! you are making it too easy for me.

I could have mentioned Cockpits...Going down....Mile high club...

I'll let you off this time :lol:
Speechless! :oops:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

UK airspace due to reopen tomm afternoon, thevrest of the EU by Thursday...might just make the Glasgow flight on Friday...betterstill Toulouse is looking good 8)
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Plans to reopen Irish airspace were held up today after eruptions from the Icelandic volcano intensified.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA), who had hoped to allow some flights to resume early this morning, said the blanket no-fly would now continue until at least 1pm after charts showed the country at the centre of a contamination zone.

Stranded passengers were advised to contact their airline websites before travelling to airports, with the IAA warning the current restrictions could be extended.

The authority’s director of operations, Donie Mooney, said the decision was regrettable but unavoidable.

“When we looked at what was developing and where this ash cloud now was, it was centred right over Ireland,” he told RTÉ radio.

“It left us with no option but to put in this put in this restriction again and effectively landlock Irish airports.”

Meanwhile ferries are continuing to take the strain following the blanket ban on flights.

The six operators with services to Britain and France are reporting record bookings, as people desperately try to get home to Ireland from abroad.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hope ... z0lczrhexL
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

RYANAIR UPDATE – 15.00HRS TUE 20 APRIL

(A) Southbound flights from Spain, Southern Italy, Malta and Morocco continue as normal.

(B) Southbound fights from South of France (Marseille) to resume Wednesday 21st April.

(C) Extra flights from Madrid to Canary Islands scheduled for Wed 21st April and Thursday 22nd April to move passengers from Canaries to Mainland.

(D) Flights cancellations in Northern Europe extended from 1300hrs Wed 21st April to 1300hrs Thur 22nd April.

(E) Flights between Ireland and UK cancelled until 1300hrs Fri 23rd April to allow for extra flights from Ireland to Continental Europe and from UK to Continental Europe on Thursday 22nd April.

(F) Revised handling procedures notified to all airports to eliminate a backlog of passengers as soon as normal flight schedules resume.

Seems they are using aircraft from the irish routes to clear the backlog between the UK and the continent. . . . this could affect anyone using Ryanair to get to Glasgow on Friday.
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

My holiday on Saturday is looking less and less likely.

Stupid Iceland and it's giant volcano-gun.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Arse biscuits :(
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

Its cr@p for those caught in places but hope it clears up for the semi
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

02 are giving anyone roaming abroad 100 free texts as some people are stuck.

Ryanair is suspending all baggage and airport checkin fees for the next few days to speed up flights as they try to clear the backlog.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I'm very annoyed with this whole volcano business
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

All British airports are opening from 10pm tonight according to skynews.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

From rte.ie
21:00 Statement from Irish Aviation Authority:

- The Irish Aviation Authority and the Civil Aviation Authority of the UK have sanctioned the resumption of full service on a phased basis in all Irish and UK airspace from 2100hrs local tonight - Tuesday 20th April, 2010, to Europe, North America and the UK.

- The IAA warns that the lifting of the restrictions is subject to the ash cloud, currently positioned between Iceland and Ireland, not moving over Ireland tonight and no further aggressive volcanic activity.

- It is expected that flights tomorrow will focus on positioning aircraft and crews and full service by the airlines may take up to three days to recover. Passengers should consult airline websites before travelling to the airport for flights.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Planes landing at LHR at the moment.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanes

http://www.flightradar24.com/
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

sarah_lennon wrote:Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanes

http://www.flightradar24.com/
Well that's certainly a different view of Ireland's key features ( the River Swilly?)
"Look what Leinster have done again"
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Aer Lingus have 6 plans to reposition whilst Ryanair have 30

AL flights should resume from 1pm, Ryanair won't start until tomorrow.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

I'm still waiting to hear one - or even see it - remember the ad - Look up it's Aer Lingus
"Look what Leinster have done again"
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

RYANAIR UPDATE – 12.00HRS WED 21 APRIL

(A) Southbound flights from Spain, Southern Italy, Southern France (Marseille), Malta and Morocco continue as normal today.

(B) All flights in Northern Europe (except flights between Ireland and the UK) to operate as scheduled from 05.00hrs Thurs 22nd April.

(C) All flights between Ireland and UK (including domestic routes) will resume normal schedules from 05.00hrs on Fri 23rd April (to allow for extra flights from Ireland to Continental Europe; and from UK to Continental Europe on Thursday 22nd April).

BUT

(D) Ryanair expects more delays and cancellations on Thurs/Friday as Europe’s ATC’s and airports struggle to handle the volume of flights.

(E) Revised handling procedures notified to all airports to eliminate a backlog of passengers as soon as normal flight schedules resume.

Ryanair today (Wed 21st April) at 12.00hrs confirmed that it continues to operate Southbound flights from Spain, Southern Italy, South of France, Malta and Morocco as scheduled. From tomorrow Thurs 22nd April, Ryanair expects to resume a full schedule of Northern European flights (except flights between Ireland and the UK). Passengers holding reservations on these flights at these airports, should continue to present themselves at these airports as normal on Thurs 22nd April.

Ryanair has today (21 Apr) decided to cancel all of its flights between Ireland and the UK until 05.00hrs on Friday 23rd April in order to use these UK and Irish based aircraft to operate extra flights from the UK to Continental Europe; and from Ireland to Continental Europe on Thurs 22nd April to clear any backlog of disrupted passengers.

Ryanair is announcing these decisions in order to give intending passengers as much notice as possible of the likely developments in European airspace over the coming two/three days.

and from Aer Lingus

All Aer Lingus flights post 13:00 today are scheduled to operate.

The majority of our transatlantic flights are due to operate, however, flights EI 105 from Dublin to New York and EI 133 from Dublin and Shannon to Boston have been cancelled.

All UK and European flights scheduled to depart up to 13:00 today, Wednesday 21 April, have been cancelled.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

The Volcano looks like it's at it again and we are still in France :evil:
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Statement to be made by the IAA at 20:30hrs Irish Summer Time regarding the possbilities of closure tomorrow. Glad I brought a spare change of clothes.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Feck, Irish airspace closed from 7am tomorrow morning. We were due to land at 8.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.