Mobile Speed Cameras go live

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Mobile Speed Cameras go live

Post by Slipper1 »

Ireland.com wrote:Mobile speed cameras to go live

A network of privatised mobile speed enforcement cameras is to go live on the State’s roads from Monday.

The cameras will be rolled out incrementally over the coming months and are expected to be fully operational by February.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy and Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern signed a five-year €65 million contract with the GoSafe consortium to provide the service last November following a lengthy tender process.

Under the deal, it was agreed that 45 mobile cameras would provide more than 6,000 hours of speed checks per month across the State.

The development comes almost 12 years after a Fianna Fáil-led government promised to introduce a such a network. It is the first time in the history of the Garda that a key element of day to day policing has been outsourced.

The new cameras, which will be housed in clearly marked vans, will periodically monitor some 600 areas, more than 60 of which are in Dublin, identified as regular sites for speed related road traffic collisions.

It is intended that the cameras will perform speed checks on the various stretches of road at times when crashes have been known to occur on them in the past.

A list of the areas that will be monitored by the cameras is available from the traffic section of the Garda website at http://www.garda.ie.

The new contract will have no impact on speeding enforcement currently carried out by the Garda.

The force uses eight mobile cameras in vans, 400 hand-held speeding devices and more than 100 automatic number plate recognition cameras which are installed in Garda cars for checks that capture about 200,000 speeding motorists annually.

Motorists caught speeding by the new cameras will be liable to incur penalty points and fines, which will be administered by the Garda.

The GoSafe consortium is being paid a flat fee to provide the service and there is no provision for commission or bonuses irrespective of how many motorists are caught speeding.

The secretary general of the Department of Justice, Seán Aylward, previously estimated the proposed network may generate half a million speeding penalties a year.

At ¤80 per speeding fine, the privatised speed cameras alone could generate roughly ¤40 million a year.

A Garda spokesman said the cameras were not being installed as a revenue gathering exercise but were a means to improve safety levels on the State’s roads.

The consortium, led by the Spectra company, will be directed by the Garda and run by gardaí operating in the Garda Office for Safety Camera Management.

A Road Collision Factbook produced earlier this year by the Road Safety Authority shows that in single-vehicle crashes speed was cited as the main contributory factor in 54 per cent of cases.

When two vehicles were involved in a fatal crash speed was deemed to be the main cause in only 15 per cent of cases, with driving on the wrong side of the road causing 52 per cent of these.
List of camera locations can be found here Garda Website
Get in the f%~king bag.
West Brit
Mullet

Re: Mobile Speed Cameras go live

Post by West Brit »

I'd actually much prefer that red light cameras were installed first. People running red lights have come far closer to killing me than somebody doing 65 km/h on the N11.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

West Brit wrote:I'd actually much prefer that red light cameras were installed first. People running red lights have come far closer to killing me than somebody doing 65 km/h on the N11.

i think we should get rid of all the red lights in leinster and change them to blue.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

actually come to think of it, we should have a one light system in leinster

a big blue circle for go and nothing for the rest.

cant have the rest of them* showing their colours in our territory

and by them i mean the rest of the provinces
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Interesting article about the removal of traffic lights at lots of Junctions in Oxfordshire , UK. It was in The Sunday Times about 3 weeks ago. Seemed like a great idea
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

West Brit wrote:I'd actually much prefer that red light cameras were installed first. People running red lights have come far closer to killing me than somebody doing 65 km/h on the N11.
I'd actually much prefer that Toyota Aygos were banned... your taking your life in your hands driving one of those yokes.....
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Rogocoko wrote:
I'd actually much prefer that Toyota Aygos were banned... your taking your life in your hands driving one of those yokes.....
It did hurt me buying something where my money indirectly helps them down south.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Slipper1 wrote:
Ireland.com wrote:Mobile speed cameras to go live

A network of privatised mobile speed enforcement cameras is to go live on the State’s roads from Monday.

The cameras will be rolled out incrementally over the coming months and are expected to be fully operational by February.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy and Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern signed a five-year €65 million contract with the GoSafe consortium to provide the service last November following a lengthy tender process.

Under the deal, it was agreed that 45 mobile cameras would provide more than 6,000 hours of speed checks per month across the State.

The development comes almost 12 years after a Fianna Fáil-led government promised to introduce a such a network. It is the first time in the history of the Garda that a key element of day to day policing has been outsourced.

The new cameras, which will be housed in clearly marked vans, will periodically monitor some 600 areas, more than 60 of which are in Dublin, identified as regular sites for speed related road traffic collisions.

It is intended that the cameras will perform speed checks on the various stretches of road at times when crashes have been known to occur on them in the past.

A list of the areas that will be monitored by the cameras is available from the traffic section of the Garda website at http://www.garda.ie.

The new contract will have no impact on speeding enforcement currently carried out by the Garda.

The force uses eight mobile cameras in vans, 400 hand-held speeding devices and more than 100 automatic number plate recognition cameras which are installed in Garda cars for checks that capture about 200,000 speeding motorists annually.

Motorists caught speeding by the new cameras will be liable to incur penalty points and fines, which will be administered by the Garda.

The GoSafe consortium is being paid a flat fee to provide the service and there is no provision for commission or bonuses irrespective of how many motorists are caught speeding.

The secretary general of the Department of Justice, Seán Aylward, previously estimated the proposed network may generate half a million speeding penalties a year.

At ¤80 per speeding fine, the privatised speed cameras alone could generate roughly ¤40 million a year.

A Garda spokesman said the cameras were not being installed as a revenue gathering exercise but were a means to improve safety levels on the State’s roads.

The consortium, led by the Spectra company, will be directed by the Garda and run by gardaí operating in the Garda Office for Safety Camera Management.

A Road Collision Factbook produced earlier this year by the Road Safety Authority shows that in single-vehicle crashes speed was cited as the main contributory factor in 54 per cent of cases.

When two vehicles were involved in a fatal crash speed was deemed to be the main cause in only 15 per cent of cases, with driving on the wrong side of the road causing 52 per cent of these.
Just thought I'd highlight the made up bits.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

And of course the fatalities on our roads will soon decrease...........................not.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Due to high volumes and issues regarding speed the Garda website has crashed....... Alanis Morissette would be proud.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Dammit! now I'm gonna be singing that song all day!
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Skinfull wrote:Dammit! now I'm gonna be singing that song all day!

"it's like RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNN on your wedd-ing day, it's like a FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE flliiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....when you're goin' anyway........." :mrgreen:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

nelly the elephant wrote:

"it's like RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNN on your wedd-ing day, it's like a FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE flliiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....when you're goin' anyway........." :mrgreen:
Serves me right.......coming off the M50 Southbound on the Loughlinstown exit yesterday and I nearly got blinded by the flash! Ah well.......first penalty points ever, not bad given the mileage I do.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Serves me right.......coming off the M50 Southbound on the Loughlinstown exit yesterday and I nearly got blinded by the flash! Ah well.......first penalty points ever, not bad given the mileage I do.

what do the vans look like?

white transits?? ?

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Leezer wrote:

what do the vans look like?

white transits?? ?
Yep, and a big speed camera picture on the side
Get in the f%~king bag.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Breakingnews.ie wrote: 26/11/2010 - 08:45:01
A mobile speed van has been completely destroyed in an arson attack in Dundalk, Co Louth this morning.

The incident happened just before 5am when the van was carrying out a traffic survey on the Dundalk to Carrickmacross road.

Gardaí say the front window of the van was broken. It is not yet clear how the fire was started.

The driver, who was uninjured in the incident, was alerted by the smoke.

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mobi ... z16OQWJvo5
"Appealing for witnesses" :D

And the thing has cameras - more irony
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Doc wrote:
A mobile speed van has been completely destroyed in an arson attack in Dundalk, Co Louth this morning.

The incident happened just before 5am when the van was carrying out a traffic survey on the Dundalk to Carrickmacross road.

Gardaí say the front window of the van was broken. It is not yet clear how the fire was started.

A "traffic survey"?? Is that what they call it now?
..and the driver was alerted by the smoke? not by someone smashing the front window of the van!!
Dont Panic!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

The Doc wrote:

Best news I've heard all week.

"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Yeah tackle-bag, it's great news altogether. Some hero trying to burn a man to death inside a van where he was just doing his job? I've not laughed so much since that motorbike garda was shot.
Last edited by Broken Wing on November 26th, 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

He wasn't a Garda, and it wasn't a Garda van.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!