Re: Greens call for General Election

Post by Armchair »

wrong thread :oops:
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Dexter wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:The more I think about it the more it annoys me? Why now? They should have done it months ago or waited until a budget is passed. Now that the Healy Rea, Lowery et al clowns have pulled a typically cynical, self serving, ass saving attempt move of saying they're going to vote against the budget (which they haven't even seen) it looks likely we could be in limbo as there isn't time to hold an election and pass a budget by the end of the year.

Well f%~king done!
Agree, was thinking the same thing. As someone pointed out earlier, they are either very clever or very stupid and naive. I'm tending towards the latter. They have had 2+ years to do this, or else wait until the new year. The ship has sailed regarding what needs to be done in the budget. This has now started to spread concern around Europe as the passing of the budget is now under threat, which was a cornerstone of the negotiating conditions for the EU emergency aid.
At the end of it all the Greens are history anyway, no matter what.
After considering this in greater detail, I think that clever is the word.

I wracked my brains to try and fathom why they would be prepared to wait for January to pull the plug....

Then it hit me... :idea:

A politician doesn't qualify for a ministerial pension if they have served for 3 and a half years.

When did the Greens go into Government and when would they have to hand over their seals of Office after an election ? What's the time difference ?

If this holds true, then damn them all :evil:

Why have none of our cynical journo's not picked up on this potential ploy :roll:
T - 45
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Pretty sure it's only 2 years.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Mackman15 wrote:http://www.president.ie/index.php?secti ... 7&lang=eng

Oh thank god, Her Excellency is here all week.
Have they cut her allowance for going to rugby matches, can't afford fuel for car or had the IRFU no ticket for her, only SA match so far and looks like missing Sundas match as well :?
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

This country truly baffles me at times. How in the name of christ do 7,344 people still believe its a good idea to vote FF.
What does it say of the other numpties, with the obviuos exception of Doherty that we as a nation put forward to represent us.

JohnG put it expertly a few days ago in describing how people will walk into a booth and go with FF regardless of anything that may have been done previously.
(I won't repeat it but i agree entirely with the sentiment.)

Pearse Doherty (13,719), Frank McBrearty (3,366), Brian Ó Domhnaill (7,344), Barry O'Neill (6424), Thomas Pringle (3,488), Ann Sweeney (133).
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

FF got 20% of the vote. In the General Election they got 50%. It's a FF stronghold and they lost 60% of their vote. The glass is half full.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Broken Wing wrote:FF got 20% of the vote. In the General Election they got 50%. It's a FF stronghold and they lost 60% of their vote. The glass is half full.
Strange that.

20% was in fact the figure suggested previously.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Mackman15 wrote:This country truly baffles me at times. How in the name of christ do 7,344 people still believe its a good idea to vote FF.
What does it say of the other numpties, with the obviuos exception of Doherty that we as a nation put forward to represent us.

JohnG put it expertly a few days ago in describing how people will walk into a booth and go with FF regardless of anything that may have been done previously.

Pearse Doherty (13,719), Frank McBrearty (3,366), Brian Ó Domhnaill (7,344), Barry O'Neill (6424), Thomas Pringle (3,488), Ann Sweeney (133).
I find it incredible that you criticise 7,344 people for voting FF and yet fail to castigate the 13,719 people who voted for Pearse Doherty who represents a party that is the political wing of an organisation responsible for the deaths of thousands of people on this island and on our nearest neighbour. An organisation that carried out an attack that killed two people and could have killed the Irish rugby international Nigel Carr.

Yes FF have wrecked this country financially, but the troubles held us back as a people for 40 years.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

the spoofer wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:This country truly baffles me at times. How in the name of christ do 7,344 people still believe its a good idea to vote FF.

I find it incredible that you criticise 7,344 people for voting FF and yet fail to castigate the 13,719 people who voted for Pearse Doherty who represents a party that is the political wing of an organisation responsible for the deaths of thousands of people on this island and on our nearest neighbour. An organisation that carried out an attack that killed two people and could have killed the Irish rugby international Nigel Carr.

Yes FF have wrecked this country financially, but the troubles held us back as a people for 40 years.
They all have blood on their hands bar the greens and some strands of the Labour party. (ie the non DLeft bit) Just a matter of how far back you want to go.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

johng wrote:
the spoofer wrote:

They all have blood on their hands bar the greens and some strands of the Labour party. (ie the non DLeft bit) Just a matter of how far back you want to go.
My memory doesnt go back to when FF were a slightly constitutional party.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

the spoofer wrote:I find it incredible that you criticise 7,344 people for voting FF and yet fail to castigate the 13,719 people who voted for Pearse Doherty who represents a party that is the political wing of an organisation responsible for the deaths of thousands of people on this island and on our nearest neighbour. An organisation that carried out an attack that killed two people and could have killed the Irish rugby international Nigel Carr.

Be assured I’m no supporter of SF. Not my cup of tea at all. Offending the spirit of the Constitution isn’t exactly what I believe in either particularly when it’s perpetrated by one party in Government. Quiet clearly very many in Donegal would agree. Lab and FG had the same opportunity to get off their arse and challenge the Government in the same way that SF did. In my book and on that basis congratulations to Doherty for showing up these that are so desperately clinging to Power. It abhors me to think that they think so little of the citizens of this state. To think that when they got the kicking that they did in the High Court they were still prepared to challenge this in the Supreme Court and all of us would foot the bill just demonstrates the level they’ll drill to. I don’t believe for a moment that it is in some way hypocritical to separate the history of SF and the actions of Doherty to bring about today’s result.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Mackman15 wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I find it incredible that you criticise 7,344 people for voting FF and yet fail to castigate the 13,719 people who voted for Pearse Doherty who represents a party that is the political wing of an organisation responsible for the deaths of thousands of people on this island and on our nearest neighbour. An organisation that carried out an attack that killed two people and could have killed the Irish rugby international Nigel Carr.

Be assured I’m no supporter of SF. Not my cup of tea at all. Offending the spirit of the Constitution isn’t exactly what I believe in either particularly when it’s perpetrated by one party in Government. Quiet clearly very many in Donegal would agree. Lab and FG had the same opportunity to get off their arse and challenge the Government in the same way that SF did. In my book and on that basis congratulations to Doherty for showing up these that are so desperately clinging to Power. It abhors me to think that they think so little of the citizens of this state. To think that when they got the kicking that they did in the High Court they were still prepared to challenge this in the Supreme Court and all of us would foot the bill just demonstrates the level they’ll drill to. I don’t believe for a moment that it is in some way hypocritical to separate the history of SF and the actions of Doherty to bring about today’s result.
Well said. If Sinn Féin are the party pushing us towards democracy what does it say about the orthodoxy?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Election pushed back to March. Strange cause it's not like this government t postpone things is it? ;-)

They'll probably keep delaying it until they've banked their full wages/served their full term!

MARY MINHAN and HARRY McGEE

THE LIKELY date of the general election has been pushed back to March or even later, following a row at Cabinet between Fianna Fáil and Green Party Ministers.

The row between the Coalition parties erupted on the morning of the Budget when the two Green Ministers insisted their priority legislation on climate change, corporate donations and waste levies be enacted before the general election.

According to sources in both parties, Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey was particularly vocal in telling the Greens that they could forget about an early new year election if they wanted their legislation passed by the Dáil. “There was a row, they wanted their own Green legislation pushed through,” said one Fianna Fáil source. “Basically they were told they should have thought of that before they called time on the Government.”

A spokesman for the Greens in Government would not comment on Cabinet proceedings but indicated the party could be persuaded to pull back from its original demand, made on Monday, November 22nd, that it wanted an election in the second half of January.

“It’s certainly worth looking at if it means getting key legislation through, but this can’t go on for ever and progress can be made pretty quickly,” the spokesman said.

However, another Government source confirmed that Fianna Fáil wanted “as long a lead-in time to a general election as possible”. The election had been widely expected to take place towards the end of February or the beginning of March.

Green Party sources said they did not expect Fianna Fáil would try and block its legislation but would try to prevent the election taking place until after St Patrick’s Day. The Greens wish-list when the Dáil resumes on January 11th includes the Climate Change Bill, the Electoral Amendment Bill banning corporate donations and legislation on animal welfare and waste levies.

The Dublin Mayoral Bill, which has been sent to committee stage, also forms part of the list. Details of the row on the morning of the Budget emerged as a cross-section of party TDs contacted by The Irish Times yesterday said any immediate threat to Taoiseach Brian Cowen’s position as leader of Fianna Fáil had receded after a series of robust performances this week.

A clear majority of the 25 backbench TDs contacted said they now believed Mr Cowen would lead Fianna Fáil into the next election.

However, a number of them said the situation could change in the event of further setbacks for the party, including any opinion poll that suggested continuing deterioration in Fianna Fáil’s position under his leadership.

His TDs were impressed with Mr Cowen’s challenge to Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny and Labour leader Eamon Gilmore during Leaders’ Questions in the Dáil yesterday, as well as a more assertive tone in media interviews. A clear majority said they did not believe any Minister would move against Mr Cowen, now that he has asserted that he intends to lead the party into the election.

Kilkenny TD Bobby Aylward said he had never seen Mr Cowen as strong as in the past week. “If he wants to lead the party, he will,” he said. “I am happy enough to let him lead us into the next election.”

Other backbenchers who voiced unequivocal public support included Michael Mulcahy, Seán Ardagh, Niall Blaney, Niall Collins, John Cregan and Ned O’Keeffe. Mr Blaney said the hard decisions taken would mean that any new leader would face exactly the same wrath.

However, Dublin North TD Michael Kennedy said Mr Cowen’s problem was that he was not connecting with the public. “We need a new leader. If we wait too long, a new leader trying to establish himself will take too long.”
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Tree hugging hippies.

Wouldn't know a sound economic policy if it puctured a tyre on their bikes.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Donny B. wrote: The row between the Coalition parties erupted on the morning of the Budget when the two Green Ministers insisted their priority legislation on climate change, corporate donations and waste levies be enacted before the general election.

They should be fúcked out on their ear before they pass this load of bureaucratic nonsense.
The climate change bill is utter nonsense and will merely create more quangos and introduce legislation to tax businesses and domestic users more.
Welcome to the world of "carbon reporting" :roll:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Lots of speculation about a heave against Cowen at the minute.

This ship can't even sink properly!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

sarah_lennon wrote:Lots of speculation about a heave against Cowen at the minute.

This ship can't even sink properly!

Something is definitely going on.
Snap election in February coming up with Cowen replaced as leader?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

We're supposed to have the election in Feb / March anyway. I'd be more worried about the Dail being dissolved this week before a Finance Bill is passed and the consequences with the IMF

Just disastrous... I also think that Cowen needs to be investigated by the Gardai
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

P.ie is bursting at the seem.

BL is returning at lightening speed from Belfast for Biffo's FF resignation.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

It'd would be quite extraordinary if we had 3 taoisigh for 1 Dail term
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4