General Election 2011

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: General Election 2011

Post by combatlogo »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: i think you're reading too many Blanky posts, in fairness to Darce, wjhen discussing Sinn Feign north/south is as good a refeerence as required.
In fact I live in the middle east of Ireland, that is an accurate geographical description that carries no other weight with it....... Learn to love your inner compass! :D
Care to explain that comment?

Its (sic) fairly evident your (sic) not the sharpest tool on here but please dont (sic) engage in wombatloco style lies and falsehoods.
Oh the irony! :lol:

Please point out any post where I've lied Blanky or retract your comment.

I've yet to hear any TD or RTE hack refer to this jurisdiction as "the South" whereas "the North" is invariably used rather than the correct term of "Northern Ireland".
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

combatlogo wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: i think you're reading too many Blanky posts, in fairness to Darce, wjhen discussing Sinn Feign north/south is as good a refeerence as required.
In fact I live in the middle east of Ireland, that is an accurate geographical description that carries no other weight with it....... Learn to love your inner compass! :D

Its (sic) fairly evident your (sic) not the sharpest tool on here but please dont (sic) engage in wombatloco style lies and falsehoods.
Oh the irony! :lol:

Please point out any post where I've lied Blanky or retract your comment.

I've yet to hear any TD or RTE hack refer to this jurisdiction as "the South" whereas "the North" is invariably used rather than the correct term of "Northern Ireland".
Mom!! Phineas and Ferb are at it again!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote: He thinks that he's a Paxman, but he falls a long way short.
What's Paxman ever done? In his case it genuinely only is about Paxman.
Is that my starter for 10... No conferring...

It actually took me until today to get that.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Its fairly evident your not the sharpest tool on here but please dont engage in wombatloco style lies and falsehoods.
I'd be happy to SB and I'll do so with niether insolence nor ignorance.

Firstly, If by refering to you as Blanky offended you, then I apologise. It was merely an effort to lighten the tone of what I was about to infer.
I would be of the belief that you would take a hardline stance regarding the respect given to our nations history, whilst I appreciate your position I would tend to lean towards been, very grateful to our forefathers without perhaps wishing to avenge their sprirt of rebellion. Without been judgemental, I wouldn't wish to have a history of oppression define me. Although I am not suggesting that your interest in our history defines you, it certainly seems to play a greater role in your analysis than it would in mine.

Regarding the lies and falsehoods you found in my post, I can't see them, but I assume it is a sleight within the sentence. My points (opinions) RE:
1. Sinn Fein is that as they operate in both houses it is simpler/easier to refer to the houses/countries in a very basic geographical fashion.
2. My geographical location is Northern Kildare closer to the coast than the midlands..... the middle east without the political unrest!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

If the election voting is to take place on 25th of Feb, this will mean a reduced crowd for the Treviso game in RDS? No?
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Broken Wing wrote:Unfortunately you're right that everyone would know what you are talking about. Lazy ass, dumbing down journalism has allowed our nation to be given a post colonial nickname which reduces it to a mere region and leads to confusion about Ireland's status in the UK. Is it any wonder large UK retailers refer to the Irish Times as a "regional paper". That I hear TDs and RTÉ journalists using "Southern Ireland" and "the South" as shorthand for the name of the country is incredibly depressing.

I'll stop being a tw@t when people refer to my country by its name.
I'm with you on this one Broken Wing. The Republic being refered to as the South, gets right on my tits. The South is down around Waterford, Cork & Kerry.
I remember working with an ex-squaddie who had served in Northern Ireland. He used to slag Ireland off about, among other things, still "getting your TV from the mainland". Everytime he started that shoite I pointed out the foolishness of setting up a TV station on the Aran Islands.
I used to do a good bit of business in Norn Iron and I used to get that a good bit as well. My response, which always shutted them up, was,
"No we don't get our TV from the Mainland, we pirate a lot from our nearest neighbour, the UK who is also like us, an Island off the Mainland. The reason we do that, is that we couldn't be bothered paying for TV when we can rob yours for free. Thanks for that by the way and I hope you weren't taxed too much from your wages last month? Oh, and by the way, you lot are also paying for our Lighthouses all around our coasts. So thanks for that too".
LEINSTER pour toujours
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Peg Leg wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Its fairly evident your not the sharpest tool on here but please dont engage in wombatloco style lies and falsehoods.
I'd be happy to SB and I'll do so with niether insolence nor ignorance.

Firstly, If by refering to you as Blanky offended you, then I apologise. It was merely an effort to lighten the tone of what I was about to infer.
I would be of the belief that you would take a hardline stance regarding the respect given to our nations history,
I accept your apology, however....
What stance would this be then? I'm curious. Would this be your considered opinion or my stalker wombatlocos inane rants?
peg leg wrote: whilst I appreciate your position I would tend to lean towards been, very grateful to our forefathers without perhaps wishing to avenge their sprirt of rebellion. Without been judgemental, I wouldn't wish to have a history of oppression define me. Although I am not suggesting that your interest in our history defines you, it certainly seems to play a greater role in your analysis than it would in mine.
Again, please illustrate what my position is instead of making wild accusations wombatloco style about me.
As regards 'avenge the spirit of rebellion' :lol: WTF is all that about?
'History of oppression' doesn't define me, nor does it colour my analysis. I will point out facts and if asked for my opinion I will offer them to liven the debate.
I wasn't born into opression so why would i have a chip? :?
peg leg wrote: Regarding the lies and falsehoods you found in my post, I can't see them, but I assume it is a sleight within the sentence. My points (opinions) RE:
1. Sinn Fein is that as they operate in both houses it is simpler/easier to refer to the houses/countries in a very basic geographical fashion.
2. My geographical location is Northern Kildare closer to the coast than the midlands..... the middle east without the political unrest!
The lies i'm referring to is your inference...'your reading too many blanky posts'.... in which you are suggesting I'm staunch republican, anti-British etc etc. You didn't say this but you meant it.
I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't throw out wild accusations that are unfounded, untrue and are more the style of that right wing semi-literate buffoon wombatloco.

I accept your rationale on points 1 and 2. On point 1 however I'd argue the North is Donegal, Antrim, Fermanagh, Monaghan etc and the South is Cork, Kerry, Waterford etc. We live on the island of Ireland which contains a troublesome Northern quarter. Thats another story.
3 Gold Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: I accept your apology, however....
What stance would this be then? I'm curious. Would this be your considered opinion or my stalker wombatlocos inane rants?

Again, please illustrate what my position is instead of making wild accusations wombatloco style about me.
'History of oppression' doesn't define me, nor does it colour my analysis. I will point out facts and if asked for my opinion I will offer them to liven the debate.

The lies i'm referring to is your inference...'your reading too many blanky posts'.... in which you are suggesting I'm staunch republican, anti-British etc etc. You didn't say this but you meant it.
I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't throw out wild accusations that are unfounded, untrue and are more the style of that right wing semi-literate buffoon wombatloco.

I accept your rationale on points 1 and 2. On point 1 however I'd argue the North is Donegal, Antrim, Fermanagh, Monaghan etc and the South is Cork, Kerry, Waterford etc. We live on the island of Ireland which contains a troublesome Northern quarter. Thats another story.
Ok hardline stance might be a bit OTT, hows about- you feel a bit stronger about these things than I do, therefore have a tendancy to IMO over-react (but that is probably down to me not having the same level of interest in similar subjects)! No character slur there just opinion.

I did mean that you were a staunch republican, I stand corrected!

On the chip thing, I'd say your crooked with the weight of the thing!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Peg Leg wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote: I accept your apology, however....

Ok hardline stance might be a bit OTT, hows about- you feel a bit stronger about these things than I do, therefore have a tendancy to IMO over-react (but that is probably down to me not having the same level of interest in similar subjects)! No character slur there just opinion.
I did mean that you were a staunch republican, I stand corrected!
Fair enough Peg leg, I do feel very strongly on certain issues.
Peg leg wrote: On the chip thing, I'd say your crooked with the weight of the thing!
I disagree, i've a chip on both shoulders, well balanced :wink:
3 Gold Stars
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

What has the fact that Ireland is an island got to do with anything Blanky? We live in the Republic of Ireland, the rest of the island is part of the UK.

You need to learn the difference between an inference and an implication. Considering the poorly written drivel (see the post above where I highlighted it) you produce on here, you really do have a neck like a jockey's bollix to descibe anyone else's musings as semi-literate. That said, feel free to point out any errors I've made. Of course, you won't be able to, the same way you can't actually point out any lies I've written on here, as you claim.

"Right wing"? I revel in the term!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

combatlogo wrote:We live in the Republic of Ireland
Not according to our constitution we don't.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

wow this thread went off in a very boring direction.

Has a date been set yet?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Broken Wing wrote:
combatlogo wrote:We live in the Republic of Ireland
Not according to our constitution we don't.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

tate wrote:wow this thread went off in a very boring direction.

Has a date been set yet?
Dáil being dissolved Tuesday. Date will be announced then but very likely to be Feb 25th.

FF up to 28% of sitting TDs retiring/chickening out.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

combatlogo wrote: We live in the Republic of Ireland,
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

combatlogo wrote: We live in the Republic of Ireland,

Wombat, I know I usually ignore your nonsense but I couldn't resist this little gem. I see you are still maintaining your usual low standards :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :green clap:
wombatloco also wrote: you really do have a neck like a jockey's bollix to descibe anyone else's musings as semi-literate.
Not anyone else's, just yours. You should be embarrassed.
wombatloco also wrote: That said, feel free to point out any errors I've made. Of course, you won't be able to, the same way you can't actually point out any lies I've written on here, as you claim.
:lol: Youre joking right? BTW, out of curiosity what does a 'Jockeys bollix' look like? :lol:

wombatloco also wrote: "Right wing"? I revel in the term!
Have you finished George Dubyas autobiography yet? You remind me of him, dunno why, ya just do :D
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Y'mean more boring than weeks of meaningless chyte leading up to a general election?

Is that even possible?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:
Y'mean more boring than weeks of meaningless chyte leading up to a general election?

Is that even possible?
If I'm interpreting him correctly, I'd say he thought we'd put all that civil war politics nonsence behind us (and is disappointed to discover he could be wrong).
However I really think you have a very good point too.
This is a Rugby MB.
So on that basis, could we perhaps discuss how rugby or ex rugby players (or family members) might have a part to play in the next general election.
For example is Miriam O'Callaghan's brother running? What did people think of Jim Glennon opting out. Did Inda every play rugby. Noonan might have.
Would Brian O'Driscoll top the poll?
Or more searching matters, Does playing rugby make you a better politician etc.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Oldschool wrote:
johng wrote:

Is that even possible?
If I'm interpreting him correctly, I'd say he thought we'd put all that civil war politics nonsence behind us (and is disappointed to discover he could be wrong).
However I really think you have a very good point too.
This is a Rugby MB.
So on that basis, could we perhaps discuss how rugby or ex rugby players (or family members) might have a part to play in the next general election.
For example is Miriam O'Callaghan's brother running? What did people think of Jim Glennon opting out. Did Inda every play rugby. Noonan might have.
Would Brian O'Driscoll top the poll?
Or more searching matters, Does playing rugby make you a better politician etc.
close to what i think but i was specifically referring to the semantic pissing competition that has developed
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Martin is announcing his front bench today. Is there any point to this? They'll have a meaningless title for less than a day and then the Dáil is dissolved. Is it just a way of anointing people as future ministers (and thus enticing their constituents to have a local man a minister) if the Irish amnesia about FF hits again and they somehow make up the government?

Personally I think it's just another way for FF to remain the main news story. They've already had a fortnight out of changing leader and then having the new boss go on a tour of every radio station in Ireland.
Pro 12 Champions 14!