General Election 2011

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: General Election 2011

Post by Broken Wing »

Unfortunately you're right that everyone would know what you are talking about. Lazy ass, dumbing down journalism has allowed our nation to be given a post colonial nickname which reduces it to a mere region and leads to confusion about Ireland's status in the UK. Is it any wonder large UK retailers refer to the Irish Times as a "regional paper". That I hear TDs and RTÉ journalists using "Southern Ireland" and "the South" as shorthand for the name of the country is incredibly depressing.

I'll stop being a tw@t when people refer to my country by its name.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:Unfortunately you're right that everyone would know what you are talking about. Lazy ass, dumbing down journalism has allowed our nation to be given a post colonial nickname which reduces it to a mere region and leads to confusion about Ireland's status in the UK. Is it any wonder large UK retailers refer to the Irish Times as a "regional paper". That I hear TDs and RTÉ journalists using "Southern Ireland" and "the South" as shorthand for the name of the country is incredibly depressing.

i think you're reading too many Blanky posts, in fairness to Darce, wjhen discussing Sinn Feign north/south is as good a refeerence as required.
In fact I live in the middle east of Ireland, that is an accurate geographical description that carries no other weight with it....... Learn to love your inner compass! :D
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Broken Wing wrote:Unfortunately you're right that everyone would know what you are talking about. Lazy ass, dumbing down journalism has allowed our nation to be given a post colonial nickname which reduces it to a mere region and leads to confusion about Ireland's status in the UK. Is it any wonder large UK retailers refer to the Irish Times as a "regional paper". That I hear TDs and RTÉ journalists using "Southern Ireland" and "the South" as shorthand for the name of the country is incredibly depressing.

Oh boo hoo

Do you have any Kiwi blood in you? Because you're doing a cracking line of preciousness
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Having so many family and in-laws from Norn I'm perfectly happy with "the South" and "the North" (or Northern Ireland). I refuse to deal with "the repuberlick of Ireland" though. Unless we're actually talking about the soccer team.

I can live with Mexico too.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

People can be as happy with the term and as childish about my reaction as they like.

It doesn't stop them being wrong and any Shinners (or FFailers since their TD's have started at it) calling to my door using the terms will get the same reaction.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Broken Wing wrote: I'll stop being a tw@t when people refer to my country by its name.
Why don't you take it up.........with the people on the mainland.

Legger.....
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

johng wrote:
Broken Wing wrote: I'll stop being a tw@t when people refer to my country by its name.
Why don't you take it up.........with the people on the mainland.

Legger.....
I remember working with an ex-squaddie who had served in Northern Ireland. He used to slag Ireland off about, among other things, still "getting your TV from the mainland". Everytime he started that shoite I pointed out the foolishness of setting up a TV station on the Aran Islands.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Broken Wing wrote:
I remember working with an ex-squaddie who had served in Northern Ireland. He used to slag Ireland off about, among other things, still "getting your TV from the mainland". Everytime he started that shoite I pointed out the foolishness of setting up a TV station on the Aran Islands.
I always say "France? Holland???" and look genuinely confused when people talk about our mainland (which is Europe, as it is for Britain).

Oh yes and "British Isles" as I heard someone explain on Newstalk the other week "it's not a political description, it's just geographical" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Anthea Turner once referred to Donegal as "the most northerly tip of Southern Ireland" on BBC's Holiday programme. FFS! :roll:

Have to admit I too hate the term. It's just wrong.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

Leinsterman wrote:HOW NOT TO USE TWITTER :lol:
:lol: :lol: can of worms
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Darce wrote:Anyone see that wagon, Mary Lou, on Vincent Browne

It's like none of the Shinners can actually comprehend basic mathematics. They have some seriously hair brained ideas on our economy. It's scary.

Vincent had a right good cut off her and had her fairly riled over Adams' performance in Southern Politics. Even Alan Shatter made light work of her.

That tool from Wicklow was a sanctimonious, condescending pr!*k
Anyone see that tosser Vincent Browne on Vincent Browne. He totaly threw the toys out of the pram at the thought that Edna wasn't going to appear on "his" election leaders debate programme. 15 minutes of pure rant. His ego takes over the whole programme. No wonder his numerous attempts at publishing have failed.

On another note, why is there the need for a "leaders debate". It'll be an hour and a half of pure spoof, avoiding direct answers, craw thumping, and unadulterated drivel. It'll end up with no winner, except for the airing TV station that gets an increase in its advertising revenue. If there's audience participation, the audience will be packed out with the various party apartchiks.

Paul Merton should host the debate, with a "Room 101" lever to hand, to trapdoor any prevaricators, ditherers or bulshitters. The programm wouldn't last 5 minutes :twisted:
T - 45
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

CRAZYDAVE wrote: Anyone see that tosser Vincent Browne on Vincent Browne. He totaly threw the toys out of the pram at the thought that Edna wasn't going to appear on "his" election leaders debate programme. 15 minutes of pure rant. His ego takes over the whole programme. No wonder his numerous attempts at publishing have failed.

Oh he's an awful provocative b*%&!x but the show the other evening with Joan the Moan, Joe Higgins and Simon Coveney was comedy gold.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Leinsterman wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote: Anyone see that tosser Vincent Browne on Vincent Browne. He totaly threw the toys out of the pram at the thought that Edna wasn't going to appear on "his" election leaders debate programme. 15 minutes of pure rant. His ego takes over the whole programme. No wonder his numerous attempts at publishing have failed.

Oh he's an awful provocative b*%&!x but the show the other evening with Joan the Moan, Joe Higgins and Simon Coveney was comedy gold.
Naw. He's not provocative. He's a tosser. Spent 20 minutes the previous night trying to get O'Cuiv to say he was sorry. Would have been quicker(and more satisfying) telling o'cuiv to bend over so that he could kick him up the arse on behalf of the country.

He thinks that he's a Paxman, but he falls a long way short.
T - 45
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

CRAZYDAVE wrote: Spent 20 minutes the previous night trying to get O'Cuiv to say he was sorry. Would have been quicker(and more satisfying) telling o'cuiv to bend over so that he could kick him up the arse on behalf of the country.

O'Cuiv's not the worst of them. He's a member of a party full of gougers but he seems a decent guy who tries his best but is in the wrong party.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

CRAZYDAVE wrote: He thinks that he's a Paxman, but he falls a long way short.
What's Paxman ever done? In his case it genuinely only is about Paxman.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

fourthirtythree wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote: He thinks that he's a Paxman, but he falls a long way short.
What's Paxman ever done? In his case it genuinely only is about Paxman.
Is that my starter for 10... No conferring...
T - 45
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

leinster80 wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:HOW NOT TO USE TWITTER :lol:
:lol: :lol: can of worms
Can't wait for that numb nuts Gogarty to call to my door. :evil: :evil:
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Peg Leg wrote: i think you're reading too many Blanky posts, in fairness to Darce, wjhen discussing Sinn Feign north/south is as good a refeerence as required.
In fact I live in the middle east of Ireland, that is an accurate geographical description that carries no other weight with it....... Learn to love your inner compass! :D
Care to explain that comment?

Its fairly evident your not the sharpest tool on here but please dont engage in wombatloco style lies and falsehoods.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Darce wrote:

Oh boo hoo

Do you have any Kiwi blood in you? Because you're doing a cracking line of preciousness
Nah, it's quite simple. Its obvious he has a bigger set of balls and considerably more backbone than you.
3 Gold Stars