Budget 2011

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Budget 2011

Post by Broken Wing »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Oldschool wrote: He's obliged to vote with the governemnt in the event of a tie AFAIK.
He has the casting vote. He's not obliged other than to his whip
Doesn't really matter. The budget will pass because, despite the sabre rattling, there are enough people in the opposition who will do with the EU/IMF say and that means passing the budget by either abstaining or supporting it.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Oldschool wrote: See how long you'd last without electricity.

What? What are you on about?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

For anyone interested in a live webcast of the proceedings...

here ya go!

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn ... tID=83&m=o
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I understand that the devil is in the detail, but that doesn't seem too bad.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

So PRSI for the self employed goes up but still no entitlements?

Looking forward to the January canvassers.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Slipper1 wrote:I understand that the devil is in the detail, but that doesn't seem too bad.
10% decrease in tax credits seems to be the biggie for me.
I might alter my pension contribution for a year or two to minimise the hit to my take home pay (yes I know that's awfully short-sighted but I have a few other smart ideas regarding this anyway)
If that amounts to a €6bn hit to expenditure and raises in taxes, imagine what you could do with savage cuts!

EDIT: Broken wing, that's a very valid point. It's extremely unfair to self-employed people.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Leinsterman wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:I understand that the devil is in the detail, but that doesn't seem too bad.
10% decrease in tax credits seems to be the biggie for me.
I might alter my pension contribution for a year or two to minimise the hit to my take home pay (yes I know that's awfully short-sighted but I have a few other smart ideas regarding this anyway)
If that amounts to a €6bn hit to expenditure and raises in taxes, imagine what you could do with savage cuts!

EDIT: Broken wing, that's a very valid point. It's extremely unfair to self-employed people.
Pretty much the same - I have no problem in paying my share, as long as things are across the board. The next few days will bring out a lot of the detail where we will all be better able to quantify the effect, but I did expect worse.

The unfortunate thing is that the opposition we have, Noonan standing in the chamber at the moment, talking rubbish and spouting soundbite after soundbite, are particularly hopeless in landing any decent blows on what is the most unpopular and 100% rubbish government.

If & when there is a change in government after the next GE - it will be that Fianna Fail lost it rather than anyone else won.
Get in the f%~king bag.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The one that jumps out at me is stamp duty. I can understand about stimulating the property market but this is a massive, massive tax cut for some people.

The exemptions will hit some people hard. For example, the exemption for transferring a site to a child for the purpose of building a home is apparently gone.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

ronk wrote:The one that jumps out at me is stamp duty. I can understand about stimulating the property market but this is a massive, massive tax cut for some people.

The exemptions will hit some people hard. For example, the exemption for transferring a site to a child for the purpose of building a home is apparently gone.
I'm interested in seeing the text about this myself.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Leinsterman wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:or the home energy saving scheme....... something!!

Keep an eye out for the NERP - National Energy Retrofit Programme.
There will be a lot of government money plunged into it .... a lot of which is ringfenced funding from the Carbon Tax.
Thought that NERP stood for.. No Economic Recovery Plan
T - 45
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Oldschool wrote:
Scott wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:Good to hear of the salary cap in the semi state sector. . . .a complete farce that the head of the DAA earns more than the French Prime Minister!

What are you on about the head of Coillte more than deserves his 450k plus annual salary. Those trees dont just grow themselves :?
See how long you'd last without electricity.

Wha?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

Broken Wing wrote:So PRSI for the self employed goes up but still no entitlements?

Looking forward to the January canvassers.
The gate that usually separates my dogs from unsuspecting members of the public, may just be faulty when they call.
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I think this has been a very political budget by FF and not done with the best interests of the people at heart.
It's designed to screw the next government as well as the punter.
As for Brian Cowen.
He comes out fighting in time for the next general election ie when FF need it, he'll do it.
Do it for the party Brian, but not the country - The good old FF way - We'll see how patriotic you'll be in opposition.
If the track record of previous FF oppositions is anything to go by, patriotism is the last thing I'll be expecting.

And BTW Brian your apology was less than fulsome and once again begrudgingly given.
A decent apology in the first place, would have put it to bed and it wouldn't have remained an issue still, right up to
your last days in government.
Far too little and way too late. People need closure on your administration's f^ck ups and you wouldn't even give them that.
I hope you get what you and the rest of your party deserve.
You, Bertie and your governments screwed this country over and neither of you have the good grace to admit it.
No class.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.