3%
Don't Know
5%

Total votes: 97

leinster80
Enlightened

Re: Leinsterfans.com Election Poll

Post by leinster80 »

I just went through some of the candidates for wicklow and something struck me... We Irish must be obsessed about our footpaths. The amount of candidates advocating for better footpaths is unbelievable.... I can sleep easy at night now knowing somebody has the footpath crisis under control.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Eric Doyle Higgins wrote: I PROMISE:

Never:-

• To accept so much as a single cent in “travel expenses”;
I will vote for any party that promises to make Eric a minister of state in the department of foreign affairs (european affairs perhaps). Bankrupt within a week.

Sometimes expenses are entirely necessary and justified. Eric is just throwing out lowest common denominator cr@p.
He's also basically promising to do as little work as possible. I've been to plenty of funerals of people I didn't personally know (e.g. family of friends), doesn't make me a politician.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

... and the first Illegal Poster of the (yet-to-be-announced) Election Campaign Award goes to....

Drum roll....

Lucinda Creighton, who has her mush up in a number of places around St Stephen's Green this morning. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:

AA Roadwatch have been on the radio warning about a traffic hazard :wink:
T - 45
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

There are illegal SF, FF and FG posters up all over the place. Some Independents have had theirs up for almost a week now.

Personally, I've always voted for the candidate with the most posters. It's the only way I can decide.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:... and the first Illegal Poster of the (yet-to-be-announced) Election Campaign Award goes to....

Drum roll....

Lucinda Creighton, who has her mush up in a number of places around St Stephen's Green this morning. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:

Is she scantily clad???
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

leinster80 wrote:I just went through some of the candidates for wicklow and something struck me... We Irish must be obsessed about our footpaths. The amount of candidates advocating for better footpaths is unbelievable.... I can sleep easy at night now knowing somebody has the footpath crisis under control.
This is actually one of the most important planning issues in rural areas.
Have you ever tried to walk along a country road without being run down by cars flying past?
Because we line our narrow country roads with one off houses we have created a huge car dependency problem.
No footpaths means its unsafe to walk on many rural roads so more people use their cars and thus making the problem worse.

I would make it a condition on giving planning that the applicatant provided a suitable length of footpath to enable the people to walk safely to the local services.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

John23 wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:... and the first Illegal Poster of the (yet-to-be-announced) Election Campaign Award goes to....

Drum roll....

Is she scantily clad???

good jeebus john23, some of us are trying to eat breakfast.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

FF still polling at 15% here, roughly what they'll get in the general election!

Ireland really is a country of religion and politics with a very blurry line between the two!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

sarah_lennon wrote:FF still polling at 15% here, roughly what they'll get in the general election!

Ireland really is a country of religion and politics with a very blurry line between the two!
And weak politicians
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I think the 15% for FF here is reflective for the rest of the country. However I heard it said these days that opting for FF in an opinion poll is akin to picking your nose, you'd never admit to it in public but in private you'd do differently. :wink:
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

John23 wrote:I think the 15% for FF here is reflective for the rest of the country. However I heard it said these days that opting for FF in an opinion poll is akin to picking your nose, you'd never admit to it in public but in private you'd do differently. :wink:
Same could be said for Labour, if people think we are in a over taxed messy place now just wait till Joan the moan gets her mits on the cheque book :(
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Going for FG, the thoughts of Gilmore as Taoiseach or Burton in FInance is more scary than FF getting back into power.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

sheepshagger wrote:
John23 wrote:I think the 15% for FF here is reflective for the rest of the country. However I heard it said these days that opting for FF in an opinion poll is akin to picking your nose, you'd never admit to it in public but in private you'd do differently. :wink:
Same could be said for Labour, if people think we are in a over taxed messy place now just wait till Joan the moan gets her mits on the cheque book :(
We aren't overtaxed. We have never been overtaxed... at least not at source. Its just that the revenue we did get in - stamp duty, VAT etc was wildly squandered. Now the PAYE worker is taking it up the rear through the USC...

There are many other countries that pay a far higher tax rate than us. Of course they have public services as a result. In the height of the boom there were disgraceful numbers on trollies.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Post by ad nauseam »

Would normally go for FG as Brian Hayes is in our constituency and he's a good guy, but have chosen Labour as I'm a bit spooked by FG's plans for 30,000 redundancies in the public sector (being one myself). Will have to talk to Hayes about it but the plan at the moment is to vote Labour first to take the heat out of the FG surge. FF can spend some quality time in Opposition as far as I'm concerned - too long in Government. The rest of the candidates I wouldn't be bothered voting for.
To the bitter and twisted, nothing is ever good enough.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Remind me how we did under the last Labour Minister for Finance, was it

a) Really rather well
or
b) In hock to a bunch of foreign banks?

and did the tax burden

a) Fall
or
b) Rise so much as to drive people out of their homes?
I have Bumbleflex
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

I'm talking from an overall tax view -that's what affects the man on the street. It's all well and good to make promises to reverse the cuts already implemented but someone has to pay for them (savings from wastage in the system if tackled won't be enough).
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

sheepshagger wrote: promises to reverse the cuts already implemented
Source?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Remind me how we did under the last Labour Minister for Finance, was it

a) Really rather well
or
b) In hock to a bunch of foreign banks?

and did the tax burden

a) Fall
or
b) Rise so much as to drive people out of their homes?
Indeed I think everyone agrees that he did a fine job, but he wasn't a moaning headcase who just keeps shouting stop harranging me when he couldn't come up with anything lucid, or party policy to talk about.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

sarah_lennon wrote: There are many other countries that pay a far higher tax rate than us.

Hold on now, you'll have to quantify exactly what you mean by this.
Do you mean income tax levels?
If so, I agree. However, we pay very high taxes and duty on pretty much everything else in this country bar petrol and even now, the gubbernment are trying to raise that in line with other EU countries.

On another note, anyone see Vincent Browne last night? I didn't think he could ever manage to be more condescending and dismissive than normal but he managed it with Eoin O'Broin last night.
For someone who is supposed to be a political theorist, he was blown out of the water by Browne numerous times.
Eoin, I don't think you'll be getting even my 9th preference vote.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sheepshagger wrote:I'm talking from an overall tax view -that's what affects the man on the street. It's all well and good to make promises to reverse the cuts already implemented but someone has to pay for them (savings from wastage in the system if tackled won't be enough).
So what you are saying is that a labour Minister for Finance will increase the tax burden without controlling spending despite the fact that the only time we had a labour minister for finance he decreased the tax burden by, in part, controlling spending.
I have Bumbleflex