What's on the BBQ this weekend?

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

What's on the BBQ this weekend?

Post by TerenureJim »

Just thought it might be an idea to have a summer themed thread to share cooking/seasoning tips for some fine outdoor dining. To start a nice thick cut steak which has been well tenderised had a small seasoning from a sea salt/whole grain pepper rub laid out over hot charcoal... mmm tasty, basic but tasty.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: What's on the BBQ this weekend?

Post by sheepshagger »

A subject dear to my heart. . .

For starters. . .

Snags
Ribs
Chops
Steak
Bacon
Beef
Chicken
Sliced bananas in tin foil cooked with chocolate buttons/sliced mars bar in the middle (served with icecream)

There was thread on here years ago about BBQ receipes. .can't seem to find it now.

Some handy sites. . .

http://www.bbq.co.uk/bbq-recipes/recipe-library.htm
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/bbq--grilling/Main.aspx
http://www.recipes.co.nz/barbeque
http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/Weber-Extras/We ... ne-Recipes

Prefer gas myself, instant and no fooking around especially on a school night when you don't have a lot of time after getting home from work.

If I had more room i'd get something bigger but in the menatime this is the business - and can easily be taken in the boot of the car if needed. .

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/produc ... id=100.2.0
Last edited by sheepshagger on June 2nd, 2011, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

What are snags?
Get in the f%~king bag.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Slipper1 wrote:What are snags?
Sausages.

Sausages off a BBQ in a slice of bread with sauce. . .so simple and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

*No cheap sh!t sasuages though - must be at least 70% pork. Superquinn ones aint bad.
Last edited by sheepshagger on June 2nd, 2011, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Sausages.

I'll be having dead cow rubbed with a braai spice mix I picked up in Safferland with a nice Argie Malbec.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

combatlogo wrote:Sausages.

I'll be having dead cow rubbed with a braai spice mix I picked up in Safferland with a nice Argie Malbec.

If you're going to use a braai spice mix you could at least drink some Pinotage, you savage.

Anyhoo:
Burgers
Sausages
Marinated chicken breasts
Drumsticks
Might get some ribs too.

Wings that shall be done in the deep fat dryer .... just because.

None of which shall be bought in Superquinn because their meat is sh1te and rots within a day or two of buying it. The cnuts
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sheepshagger wrote:Prefer gas myself
GET OUT
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

TerenureJim wrote:
GET OUT
If you have loads of time for the coals to heatup then fine but use ours a few times during the week (in addition to the weekend)...would take too long.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

sheepshagger wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
GET OUT
If you have loads of time for the coals to heatup then fine but use ours a few times during the week (in addition to the weekend)...would take too long.
I'm with you on this. Having lots of burning fat dripping down sorts out the flavour for me. I don't trust the smell of lots of the charcoal out there. I always thought it would be nice to work with cedar wood or something but... for me it's not a "oh it's a sunny day let's barbecue" but more the way I do meat.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sheepshagger wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
GET OUT
I'm only taking the pi55, personally I prefer the charcoal or real fire (where possible) as I think it adds to the flavour of the meat as you cook it, the gas just isn't for me but I can appreciate why others choose it.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Takes a really special sort of person to give people food poisoning at a BBQ if you ask me. :?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

TerenureJim wrote:
GET OUT
Gas? With Terenure Jim here I prefer charcoal. I can understand your logic SS, but please for the love of God don't tell me you use an electric lawnmower!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

If anyone is having a bbq this weekend, I recommend beercan Chicken. http://bbq.about.com/od/chicken/ss/aa072807a.htm
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

sheepshagger wrote:A subject dear to my heart. . .

Sliced bananas in tin foil cooked with chocolate buttons/sliced mars bar in the middle (served with icecream)
Peeled or not? Sounds delish
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Scott wrote:

Slice the banana and insert the chocolate with the skin still on....wrap in tin foil and cook, remove skin before serving with ice cream 8)
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

sheepshagger wrote:
Scott wrote:

Slice the banana and insert the chocolate with the skin still on....wrap in tin foil and cook, remove skin before serving with ice cream 8)
uumm i'm having that later. Ta
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Later this evening will be doing some pork spare ribs. Will be smoking them with aid of wood chips of old Jack Daniels barrels. Also basting them with my secret Jack Daniels laced BBQ Sauce 8)
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

banana in tin foil on bbq is truly the finest dessert you will ever taste. Havent tried it with the chocs but will do that this w/end - i normally just wrap them up, skin still on,and when they are done slice down the middle and serve with ice cream - food of the gods.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Not sure if this should be here, or in the beer thread or possibly even in the recession buster thread but Tesco are doing trays of 500ml cans of beer and cider - 24 cans for €24. That's a saving of over €35 :shock:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sheepshagger wrote:Slice the banana and insert the chocolate with the skin still on....wrap in tin foil and cook, remove skin before serving with ice cream 8)
Damn must try this next time I get the charcoals out. BBQ went very well this weekend. Had some steaks seasoned with a choice of pepper, spicy and chineese rubs. Also tried a few burgers with the pepper rub, burgers were lean freshly made mince, with obligatory thick cut cheddar melted on top as they neared readyness and toasted buns on the grill as well. Then cooked a few baked potatoes in foil inside the charcoals, light and fluffy doesn't even describe how good they were. Also a bit of flame grilled BBQ chicken blackened and crispy on the outside cooked prefectly and very moist (but properly cooked) on the inside. Went down very well with those present.

Also you don't win friends with salad but had a bit of Cavan cabbage (mix of white cabbage, mayo, few cloves of garlic), then a loose leaf mix salad with rasbury & mustard vinaigrette.

Desert was a classic apple pie, strawberries and cream combo.

The piece de restience was an inflatable paddling pool featuring an inflatable palm tree in the middle which was filled with ice and a selection of brahma, erdinger and some nice prosecco, sauv blanc and pino g.