Ben Dunne Gym - Sandyford

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donald
Mullet

Ben Dunne Gym - Sandyford

Post by Donald »

I heard an advert on the radio for Ben Dunne gyms stating that they are opening soon in Sandyford and membership will only be €`90 for the year. Does anyone know when this will be opening and what location will it be in Sandyford? Is it just going to move into where Total Fitness was opposite Lamb Doyles?
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: Ben Dunne Gym - Sandyford

Post by Slipper1 »

I thought his plans were well underway before TF went under.

Don't know where he's going, would be interested.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Mmmmmmm if he is taking over the old TF I hope he doesn't take out the pool (which he tends to do to cut costs).
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

September in the Beacon, according to his website.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

If it's 90 shekels per year, I can guarantee you there won't be a pool.
I use the one in Lucan, having used the one in Trinity for several years, BD is better, even though I do miss the sauna.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

combatlogo wrote:If it's 90 shekels per year, I can guarantee you there won't be a pool.
I use the one in Lucan, having used the one in Trinity for several years, BD is better, even though I do miss the sauna.
Seems its in the Beacon South Quarter (not the old TF).

Looking at his website he's very very cheap :shock:

http://www.bendunnegyms.com/home.php
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

275 for 15months in Carlise seems pretty good. Have hear some horror stories about the place though that would put me off, even though my missus says its grand
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:275 for 15months in Carlise seems pretty good. Have hear some horror stories about the place though that would put me off, even though my missus says its grand
Have joined recently on a short-term deal. Grand so far, but admittedly I'm in and out pretty quickly as I'm just doing weights there.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:275 for 15months in Carlise seems pretty good. Have hear some horror stories about the place though that would put me off, even though my missus says its grand
Have joined recently on a short-term deal. Grand so far, but admittedly I'm in and out pretty quickly as I'm just doing weights there.
Whats the population like in there Donny, especially around the free weights area?

I can't be doing with mongo eastern european types, repping 3 big ones and then passing out
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Whats the population like in there Donny, especially around the free weights area?

I can't be doing with mongo eastern european types, repping 3 big ones and then passing out
Busy. Especially in the evenings apparently. I try to get down first thing in the morning and get in and get out. It's not too bad at that time. Haven't the patience to be waiting on guys hogging machines for endless sets of reps.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

combatlogo wrote: I use the one in Lucan

What's that one like? I've been toying with the idea of joining it for a while. The Lidl car park seems to be permanently packed since the gym was opened above it.

combatlogo wrote: even though I do miss the sauna.

Fnar! :lol:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Donny B. wrote: Haven't the patience to be waiting on guys hogging machines for endless sets of reps.
Just ask them can you "work in".

If they look at you like you have 2 heads just say "it's where I do a set while you rest, and then you do a set".

If they are still puzzled ask them can you get a "more expensive membership" like theirs that allows them exclusive use of the equipment.

If all else fails "accidentally" drop the heaviest plate you can find on their toes.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Alternative Ulster wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Haven't the patience to be waiting on guys hogging machines for endless sets of reps.
Just ask them can you "work in".

If they look at you like you have 2 heads just say "it's where I do a set while you rest, and then you do a set".

If they are still puzzled ask them can you get a "more expensive membership" like theirs that allows them exclusive use of the equipment.

If all else fails "accidentally" drop the heaviest plate you can find on their toes.
:lol: Might try some of them.

I particularly hate the ignorant feckers who sit on machines having chats with their mates in between their poxy sets. :evil:
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Donny B. wrote: I particularly hate the ignorant feckers who sit on machines having chats with their mates in between their poxy sets. :evil:
If you never ask to work in, they will sit there forever.

You would be surprised how accommodating most gym rats are.

They may look all intimidating etc. while they are working out, but ask them for a spot, or to work in, and they may shock you.

Normally the more intimidating they look, the more helpful they are. (Obviously exceptions)

The younger, "not so impressive looking" ones who are unused to gym "etiquette" are the least cooperative.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:Whats the population like in there Donny, especially around the free weights area?

Busy. Especially in the evenings apparently. I try to get down first thing in the morning and get in and get out. It's not too bad at that time. Haven't the patience to be waiting on guys hogging machines for endless sets of reps.
f%~k that so
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

It looks like we've lucked out at Clare Hall.

2 Schemes in for PP at the minute with the City Council, doesn't look like we'll be getting our Gym back (and very definitely our pool) anytime soon.
We'll have another Lidl though so that's great. I'm looking forward to stocking up on fishing equipment, shelving and men's fashions along with my cucumbers & Beans.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Darce wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:Whats the population like in there Donny, especially around the free weights area?

f%~k that so
Never bother with the weights in Carlisle but there's a decent number of good cardio machines (bar the somewhat regular breakdown of the odd treadmill) and the price is dead on. Got a year's membership for €175 just after Christmas. Interesting to see that the Fitness Dock has gone into receivership, think the one in Camden St was charging something along the lines of €400 (maybe a little less) for a year so hardly suprising that they haven't traded out of trouble. Also they seem to be in areas that you'd imagine would have high-ish rents.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

TerenureJim wrote: Interesting to see that the Fitness Dock has gone into receivership, think the one in Camden St was charging something along the lines of €400 (maybe a little less) for a year so hardly suprising that they haven't traded out of trouble. Also they seem to be in areas that you'd imagine would have high-ish rents.
That place tried to charge me €525 to renew just over a year ago. One of the lads I worked with went to them to see the cost as a new member around the same time and got quoted €299. After hearing that they could have offered me a free membership and I still wouldn't have taken it.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

Has anyone any update on this new gym in Sandyford? Any good? Is it very busy at peak times?
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Donald wrote:Has anyone any update on this new gym in Sandyford? Any good? Is it very busy at peak times?
It only opened on the 27th Dec.
Get in the f%~king bag.