2%
Can't vote
5%

Total votes: 58

Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Presidential Election

Post by Broken Wing »

deco wrote:Does nobody think it necessary to ask Norris the kind of questions journalists would immediately and automatically ask of a bishop found to have remained silent about an episode of clerical abuse
Interesting comment but more than slightly hypocritical given all those journalists turning a blind eye, and even abusing the journalists that broke the story, when one of their own is invovled in allegations of sex with a minor.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Broken Wing wrote:
deco wrote:Does nobody think it necessary to ask Norris the kind of questions journalists would immediately and automatically ask of a bishop found to have remained silent about an episode of clerical abuse
Interesting comment but more than slightly hypocritical given all those journalists turning a blind eye, and even abusing the journalists that broke the story, when one of their own is invovled in allegations of sex with a minor.
In fairness I think the 'bold' part has a lot to do with their silence (try naming the guy here & see how long the post lasts before being removed).
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Broken Wing wrote:
Indeed. And even resembles an elephant in the middle of any room.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Broken Wing wrote: Interesting comment but more than slightly hypocritical given all those journalists turning a blind eye, and even abusing the journalists that broke the story, when one of their own is invovled in allegations of sex with a minor.

? ???? Really?

What happen to jurnos who broke the story
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Scott wrote:
Broken Wing wrote: Interesting comment but more than slightly hypocritical given all those journalists turning a blind eye, and even abusing the journalists that broke the story, when one of their own is invovled in allegations of sex with a minor.

? ???? Really?

Putting it as mildly as possible it was suggested to them in conversation with journos from other papers that they should not have broken the story. Indeed, it might be suggested that other journalists sitting on the story were covering up and protecting the accused.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Broken Wing wrote:
Scott wrote:

? ???? Really?

Putting it as mildly as possible it was suggested to them in conversation with journos from other papers that they should not have broken the story. Indeed, it might be suggested that other journalists sitting on the story were covering up and protecting the accused.

I see.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

if gay byrne gets a nomination i will join michael d's campaign. Or gay's and sabotage it from within. Either way if that smug pr!*k gets in i give up. Dana would be a better choice
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The funny thing is that someone went to all that effort to remove a candidate that might beat theirs, only to have him potentially replaced by one that would undoubtedly win
I have Bumbleflex
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I will not be voting for any of them. They are all a complete waste of space.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:The funny thing is that someone went to all that effort to remove a candidate that might beat theirs, only to have him potentially replaced by one that would undoubtedly win
Gay Byrne for president - yeah I could live with that.
M D and G M the other main contenders just don't have the gravitas you need for the presidency.
Mary from FF - Out, Out, Out or No, No, No - you were part of the government that destroyed this country. no effin way
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Dave Cahill wrote:The funny thing is that someone went to all that effort to remove a candidate that might beat theirs, only to have him potentially replaced by one that would undoubtedly win
In fairness, there wasn't much effort required - he was an open goal. Anyway, I thought he withdrew before the rest of his skeletons came out of the closet. Better for him to withdraw & keep this Seanad seat then risk losing it as well?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

deco wrote:
In fairness, there wasn't much effort required - he was an open goal. Anyway, I thought he withdrew before the rest of his skeletons came out of the closet. Better for him to withdraw & keep this Seanad seat then risk losing it as well?
& you know he had more how?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Scott wrote:
deco wrote:
& you know he had more how?
Only going by what Joe Jackson (a journalist ally of Norris) siad on RTE Radio last Sunday week: that he had heard a week earlier that there were three scandals about Norris ready to break - The Nawi letter was one, he wouldn't say what the other two were.

I just found this link though whilst looking for Joe's name (I heard the radio interview but couldn't remember the guy's name) - if you're interested in reading it. I haven't read it & don't intend to:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/irish-pres ... unday.html
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

So Gay Byrne thinks we're being run by mad people in Brussels and Sinn Fein want people in the North to have voting rights in our presidential election. Well folks goodnight and goodluck, where's best to start looking for a new abode US? Canada? Oz? Korea? Kiwistan?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Why do we need a president?

Seriously. The only time we see the president is representing us at functions or handing over seals of office. The seals of office handover is meaningless so we could do away with that completely. The decision on referring legislation to the courts could be handled by a panel of the Attorney General and maybe two Constitutional lawyers. So what purpose does the president serve? Wouldn't the state function just fine without a president?

We're skint. Cancel the election and instead have a referendum to remove the president from the constitution. The Áras can be turned into something else, the taoiseach's gaf even, and the state saves a rake of cash on an office that really serves no purpose beyond filling in at photo ops.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

If the taoiseach got a house then he'd have to take a mahoosive pay cut
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Broken Wing wrote:Why do we need a president?
Given the candidates I'd agree.

Gay Byrne ffs. Unbelievable nonsense.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

sarah_lennon wrote:If the taoiseach got a house then he'd have to take a mahoosive pay cut
Win win!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:So Gay Byrne thinks we're being run by mad people in Brussels and Sinn Fein want people in the North to have voting rights in our presidential election. Well folks goodnight and goodluck, where's best to start looking for a new abode US? Canada? Oz? Korea? Kiwistan?
Try Mars - Spacious, three bed roomed, underground appts, energy free, water recycled, grow your own food. The perfect green and sustainable abode.
The lower gravity is great for people with bad backs.
In addition, no unwanted visitors.
Only downside, TV coverage and the internet are a bit slow! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.