2%
Can't vote
5%

Total votes: 58

Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Presidential Election

Post by Broken Wing »

IanD wrote:Dana - Cant believe the country needs to be lead by such an obviously religious person with all the abuse reports published and the fact that the Vatican as a Nation has been lambasted by the Toiseach and others.
Dana is almost as religious as Gay Mitchell.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Broken Wing wrote:
IanD wrote:Dana - Cant believe the country needs to be lead by such an obviously religious person with all the abuse reports published and the fact that the Vatican as a Nation has been lambasted by the Toiseach and others.
I'm sure neither of you actually have a problem with a religious person being president? As long as they agree with the (rather minimal in current Irish interpretation and as mandated by our constitution) seperation of church and state they can be catholic, muslim, mormon, or protestant no matter what crimes were committed by their co-religionists.

Having a problem with Dana and Gay Mitchell is to do with them, rather than the fact they are catholic, the fact that they clearly are incapable of distinguishing between politics and religion. With Norris I really do think the majority of people who don't support him don't have a problem with him being gay (as I don't think people imagine he'll be using the trappings of the office - or the official car or whatever - to trawl for sex) but rather to do with his ideas about the legal age of consent. Which are surely relevant. Oh and "my lawyer won't let me publish these letters" is a Bertie Ahern type excuse. You hire your lawyer, not the other way around.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:
I'm sure neither of you actually have a problem with a religious person being president?
Of course not. I have a problem with either Dana or Gay Mitchell being president though so I'll be voting for someone else. Looking at all the candidates Michael D may just win by default.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Personally I'm feeling....

and am just waiting for some honesty from the candidates

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Darce wrote: Never liked Michael D all that much but shaping up to be the best of a bad lot.

What a shambolic line up. Can we not just have a referendum and let Mary Mc stay on full time
If it's a referendum you're having, let's just get rid of the role and the Seanad while you're at it

Don't know why we're deluding ourselves that we govern anything tbh
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Darce wrote: Never liked Michael D all that much but shaping up to be the best of a bad lot.

What a shambolic line up. Can we not just have a referendum and let Mary Mc stay on full time
If it's a referendum you're having, let's just get rid of the role and the Seanad while you're at it

Only if we can cut the number of TDs as well.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

fourthirtythree wrote:
but rather to do with his ideas about the legal age of consent.

Which are what?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

sarah_lennon wrote:

Its not about governance, its about who gets the best seat in Lansdowne and Croker for the next seven years!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Scott wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Which are what?
We will never know, because all he does is quote Joyce, Wilde or his lawyers when asked a question.

At this stage, I just hope there is a "quick pick" option on the ballot paper
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Anyone listen to Norris on Newstalk? He was/is all over the shop - all bluster and no substance.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

TerenureJim wrote:Christ I think this will get worse then the O'Gara/Sexton debate
at least the o'gara/sexton debate has a point
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Scott wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Which are what?
It's difficult to tell but they appear to be nuanced, and my point had to do with the majority of the Irish electorate: I don't think they approve of nuanced ideas relating to ages of consent. It's not something I've given any real thought to myself. Perhaps when my children are teenagers I will have strong opinions.

And weaseling out of elucidation by passing the buck to his lawyer doesn't win him any friends either.

Oh, as a minor aside, not voting for him has the bonus of getting Eoghan Harris' back up. Anybody supported by him (whether it be rump Stalinism or Bertie Ahern) is automatically questionable.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Scott wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Which are what?
It's difficult to tell but they appear to be nuanced
They are in their hole nuanced. His view is that if two guys are going at it, no one can get pregnant, so there's nothing wrong with it. And then when he gets repeatedly criticised for his views, he comes out with some mealy-mouthed apology and expects everyone to let it go.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Having rushed in to declare my intention to vote for Martin McGuinness, I decided I had better do a bit of research just in case I had missed something.
So by a process of elimination I was left with only two candidates standing. Namely Dana or Martin.
My reasoning is as follows.
Gallagher - FF associations.
Davis - Bertie associations - Even worse.
Higgins - Just don't like him and he's party political.
Norris - Why risk it?
Mitchell - Don't want a party political president.

Which leaves.
Dana - Her stance on Pro Life stuff is way too right wing for me, if I'm being honest. However she does have the courage of her convictions.
and she's non-party.
McGuinness - Doesn't tick too many boxes either, but something about the man appeals to me. He is however party political

Gawd I hate difficult decisions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Oldschool wrote: McGuinness - Doesn't tick too many boxes either, but something about the man appeals to me. He is however party political

Well being a rugby fan you probably do like violence so I guess he has that in common :D
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

gfo wrote: They are in their hole nuanced. His view is that if two guys are going at it, no one can get pregnant, so there's nothing wrong with it. And then when he gets repeatedly criticised for his views, he comes out with some mealy-mouthed apology and expects everyone to let it go.
nice analysis, taking all the nuances into consideration before reaching a conclusion
:D
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:Having rushed in to declare my intention to vote for Martin McGuinness, I decided I had better do a bit of research just in case I had missed something.
So by a process of elimination I was left with only two candidates standing. Namely Dana or Martin.
My reasoning is as follows.
Gallagher - FF associations.
Davis - Bertie associations - Even worse.
Higgins - Just don't like him and he's party political.
Norris - Why risk it?
Mitchell - Don't want a party political president.

Which leaves.
Dana - Her stance on Pro Life stuff is way too right wing for me, if I'm being honest. However she does have the courage of her convictions.
and she's non-party.
McGuinness - Doesn't tick too many boxes either, but something about the man appeals to me. He is however party political

Its not too dificult OS, McGuinness is the only candidate that has absolutely no clue as to what most think here in the republic- as demonstrated by his West Brit comment.
Whilst I understand the mans reasoning for his involvement in the troubles, I resent the fact that he believes and infers that he was doing it for me.

I can't say I'm toO fond of any of the candidates, but I will vote for whowever talks the least shite and at least expresses a decent knowledge of what the job is actually about.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
bootlace
Knowledgeable

Post by bootlace »

Sadly as I can't have a vote even though I have a passport and was born in Ireland ,I still have to ask the reason why have a president,is it not best just to vote for the person with the biggest handshake and widest smile,seems to me a waste of time and effort,but probably more important a waste of money.Then it just could be one of those opportunities that make the nominees seem important.Do an x factor type thing but for everybody sakes just leave it alone,step away unless you are a manufacturer of red carpets.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Interesting article in today's paper http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 84883.html
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Old School wrote:
...also the only candidate to have experience of commanding an army, but apparently he's a piss poor shot.