Can't vote
5%

Total votes: 58

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Presidential Election

Post by Hippo »

MarkyDeSad wrote:Old School wrote:
McGuinness - Doesn't tick too many boxes either, but something about the man appeals to me. He is however party political
...also the only candidate to have experience of commanding an army, but apparently he's a piss poor shot.

:happy clapper: :happy clapper:
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

MarkyDeSad wrote:Old School wrote:
McGuinness - Doesn't tick too many boxes either, but something about the man appeals to me. He is however party political
...also the only candidate to have experience of commanding an army, but apparently he's a piss poor shot.
Ah, the old revolutionary way.

Those that can, shoot
Those that cant, stand for election.

Its now so bad, Dana is even looking like a good option.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

I can't vote in this thing, and for the most part I don't care very much ... but if you f%~kers elect Dana I'll be very upset.

:x :x :x

EDIT: misspelled f%~kers
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So far, I've changed my vote three times.
I started with McGuinness - I'm pleading temporary insanity on that one.
Then I shifted to Dana - I didn't go public on that one for obvious reasons - I'm a reactionary, she's just downright too conservative.
Now I'm thinking Gay maybe - I mean Mitchell, of course. I think, in the scheme of things he's a decent kind of guy. I also thought his brother Jim was a decent sort also.
Davis, Gallagher and Norris are out for a variety of reasons, which only leaves Higgins as the other possible no. 1
Is this making sense to anyone, because, if it is, would you mind explaining it to me.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hornet wrote:I use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!
Thanks - That pretty much captures where I'm at - I think?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Oldschool wrote:So far, I've changed my vote three times.
I started with McGuinness - I'm pleading temporary insanity on that one.
Then I shifted to Dana - I didn't go public on that one for obvious reasons - I'm a reactionary, she's just downright too conservative.
Now I'm thinking Gay maybe - I mean Mitchell, of course. I think, in the scheme of things he's a decent kind of guy. I also thought his brother Jim was a decent sort also.
Davis, Gallagher and Norris are out for a variety of reasons, which only leaves Higgins as the other possible no. 1
Is this making sense to anyone, because, if it is, would you mind explaining it to me.
Mitchell is every bit as conservative as Dana. Bear in mind too that this is the man who wanted to host the Olympic Games here. Don't confuse him with his brother, not a patch on him.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Mitchell also the man who said that maybe the electorate shouldn't be asked about European treaties after the defeat of Lisbon I. Seemed to think we weren't intelligent/educated enough to make the right decision.

He's also the man who seems to think there are issues to debate in the election to be Ireland's best paid tourist. I'm not sure what he thinks the president does but, if elected, he may be in for a shock.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Christ - That just leaves me with Higgins - No, no I can't do it, anyway he's too old.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Oldschool wrote:Christ - That just leaves me with Higgins - No, no I can't do it, anyway he's too old.
Too old? Sure he's from Tír na nÓg! He's only hitting puberty by their standards.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

So Norris has been claiming disability for years because he was deemed not well enough to work as a lecturer.
Yet he claims he's able to work as a Senator? Frikkin hell, a lecturer's job is cushy enough.
Seems to me that this has irrefutably shown that the Seanad is nothing more than a subsidised doss-house for political dilettantes and unelectable part members.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschool wrote:Christ - That just leaves me with Higgins - No, no I can't do it, anyway he's too old.
Old School discriminating against the elderly...there's irony there somewher!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Latest Poll results...

Irish Times/IPSOS MRBI - MDH 23+5, SGAL 20+7, MMG 19, MD 12(-), DN 11 -14, GM 9 -12, DANA 6.

Conducted BEFORE TV3 debate
Get in the f%~king bag.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Slipper1 wrote:Latest Poll results...

Irish Times/IPSOS MRBI - MDH 23+5, SGAL 20+7, MMG 19, MD 12(-), DN 11 -14, GM 9 -12, DANA 6.

Conducted BEFORE TV3 debate
I'm really surprised at the increase in support for Gallagher, I hadn't considered that he'd be a front runner. On those figures it could be down to Guinness's transfers. My guess is that he'll transfer more to Gallagher than the Poet.

So we could have a least worst President after all...
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

McGuinness will transfer to Higgins if anyone, can't see him transferring much at all to Gallagher. The people who vote for McGuinness won't be adding many preferences for Mr Free Enterprise Hit the Ground Running.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

[quote="Hippo"]McGuinness will transfer to Higgins if anyone, can't see him transferring much at all to Gallagher. The people who vote for McGuinness won't be adding many preferences for Mr Free Enterprise Hit the Ground Running.[/quote

Maybe, I was thinking more: anti establishment candidate to anti establishment candidate. can't see mc guinness voters transferring to the gov candidate.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The broadly 'left-wing' McGuinness supporters will be more likely to transfer to Higgins. Those from the FF rump will probably transfer to Gallagher. Higgins has managed to keep himself separate from the government. I think Mitchell is perceived as the 'government candidate', even though the government don't seem to want to have much to do with him!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I think Higgins is getting a bit of a raw deal in terms of being perceived as an inoffensive, least-worst kind of candidate. If we were in less cynical, pessimistic, anti-establishment times, I'd have thought he'd be a front-runner in any presidential race on his long and largely successful career as a professional public servant (rather than a professional politician). Party politics aside, I think he's worthy of recognition and maybe will be a force for Ireland to start thinking of itself as a proud and culturally-diverse country and not a (bankrupt) economy again.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

jezzer wrote:I think Higgins is getting a bit of a raw deal in terms of being perceived as an inoffensive, least-worst kind of candidate. If we were in less cynical, pessimistic, anti-establishment times, I'd have thought he'd be a front-runner in any presidential race on his long and largely successful career as a professional public servant (rather than a professional politician). Party politics aside, I think he's worthy of recognition and maybe will be a force for Ireland to start thinking of itself as a proud and culturally-diverse country and not a (bankrupt) economy again.
There's a lot in what you say; I was never a big fan of the man, he always seemed a bit pleased with himself. Though of course, in the current possible presidential line-up that seems to be a defining quality! But yes, he's certainly put the time in and potentially has the ability to be a unifying figure, in that broad, wooly way the presidency seems to work. The same could not be said of the rest.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan