2%
Can't vote
5%

Total votes: 58

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Presidential Election

Post by fourthirtythree »

Another thing that Higgins might bring to the presidency is a focus on the arts in Ireland abroad. We have lived through a government of aggressively philistinic ignorance and the arts industries in Ireland have suffered as a result. They do matter both culturally and economically. The last shower were utterly clueless however. I really like the way that Mary Mc is genuinely interested in and supportive of the Irish rugby team, it would be nice if the notion of culture and the presidency extended beyond sports. I'm reminded of Hillery whose chief claim to fame was reputedly having the lowest golf handicap of a head of state.

Just a thought.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

fourthirtythree wrote:Another thing that Higgins might bring to the presidency is a focus on the arts in Ireland abroad. We have lived through a government of aggressively philistinic ignorance and the arts industries in Ireland have suffered as a result. They do matter both culturally and economically. The last shower were utterly clueless however. I really like the way that Mary Mc is genuinely interested in and supportive of the Irish rugby team, it would be nice if the notion of culture and the presidency extended beyond sports. I'm reminded of Hillery whose chief claim to fame was reputedly having the lowest golf handicap of a head of state.

Just a thought.

which shower gave all the 'artists' tax breaks
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Scott wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Another thing that Higgins might bring to the presidency is a focus on the arts in Ireland abroad. We have lived through a government of aggressively philistinic ignorance and the arts industries in Ireland have suffered as a result. They do matter both culturally and economically. The last shower were utterly clueless however. I really like the way that Mary Mc is genuinely interested in and supportive of the Irish rugby team, it would be nice if the notion of culture and the presidency extended beyond sports. I'm reminded of Hillery whose chief claim to fame was reputedly having the lowest golf handicap of a head of state.

Just a thought.

Well they gave all the multimillionaires the same tax breaks, Bono made out like a bandit. And that was a very different government under the corrupt but intellectually ambitious Haughey. Ahern had no high mindedness about him, but had all the shabby, grubby, power and money hungriness of his predecessor's predecessor in the party leadership (and if we're just counting taoiseach we would need to add in another predecessor or two).

It was a different world. They had money, the Ahern government, but no intellect, no ideas, and no integrity.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

What shower tried to take the artists exemption away and ended up capping it?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Just as a matter of pure disinterest, would anyone like to suggest who the respective nominee's may look to appoint to the Council of State?
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Scott wrote:

Just a thought.

Give me a break, the last thing this country needs is to spend more money on the f%~king "arts" . Every town in the country has an Arts centre, artists can still earn €80k pa tax free, yes tax free. Funding for the "Arts", while reduced is still substantial given the real interest that it commands.

The point about sport is pointless as hundreds of thousands of people enjoy and participate in sport whereas a tiny minority of people in this country have any interest in the "Arts".

We need a President we can be proud of (like the incumbent) not one who will read poetry to us.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Well, Spoofer, you're reading the written thoughts of Irish people on various topics and contributing in writing yourself, so I suggest you're already pretty active in the Arts.

I'd be interested to hear from you on Slovakia. Without googling, just a brief para or two on its history, culture, type of people, social fabric... anything that comes to mind really. It shouldn't be hard because Slovakia has a bigger population than Ireland and the Slavic people are probably as ancient a race as the Celts or pre-Celtic Irish.

Could it be that a big reason Ireland has a bigger international identity than Slovakia or many other similarly sized 1st world countries is that we have promoted a cultural identity based on the arts that has set us apart and helped us be recognised internationally, not just in English-speaking countries?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

jezzer wrote:Well, Spoofer, you're reading the written thoughts of Irish people on various topics and contributing in writing yourself, so I suggest you're already pretty active in the Arts.

I'd be interested to hear from you on Slovakia. Without googling, just a brief para or two on its history, culture, type of people, social fabric... anything that comes to mind really. It shouldn't be hard because Slovakia has a bigger population than Ireland and the Slavic people are probably as ancient a race as the Celts or pre-Celtic Irish.

Could it be that a big reason Ireland has a bigger international identity than Slovakia or many other similarly sized 1st world countries is that we have promoted a cultural identity based on the arts that has set us apart and helped us be recognised internationally, not just in English-speaking countries?
You mean interenet forums are part of the arts??? I need to redo my tax return.

I think emigration has had a larger impact on the recognition of the Irish culture than any expenditure on the "Arts". Ask foreigners what they know of Irish culture and you will get "Guinness, Riverdance and U2".
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

the spoofer wrote: artists can still earn €80k pa tax free, yes tax free.

whereas a tiny minority of people in this country have any interest in the "Arts".
So how do they earn the €80k?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

the spoofer wrote:Riverdance and U2
So two of the top 3 things people will know about Ireland fall under the arts?

Which side of this debate are you on?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

sarah_lennon wrote:
the spoofer wrote: artists can still earn €80k pa tax free, yes tax free.

whereas a tiny minority of people in this country have any interest in the "Arts".
So how do they earn the €80k?
Some people are stupid enough to pay Graham Knuttel (sp?) for the "paintings" he produces and Cecilia Ahern for her "literature".
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Broken Wing wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Riverdance and U2
So two of the top 3 things people will know about Ireland fall under the arts?

Which side of this debate are you on?
I doubt U2 and McColgan are still on the take from the State.

Just out of interest I googled "Arts Funding Ireland". All I can say is "Jesus wept".
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

How exciting! An assassination attempt!
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Leinsterman wrote:How exciting! An assassination attempt!
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Edit-
Poll results weren't real. Sorry about that. Blame Twitter.
Last edited by future international on October 19th, 2011, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

MRBI didn't release a poll today, so apparently those reports are false.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Leinsterman wrote:How exciting! An assassination attempt!
Yeah, I never heard such rot in all my life. Dana gets a puncture on her way home and suddenly there are snipers on top of buildings shooting her tyres out. This woman is a total fruit cake.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

And he was only going at 100kmph at the time when it burst and he nearly lost control. Yeah right. :lol:

In fact, why was he driving at only 100kmph on the motorway? :evil:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I can only assume a betting syndicate has a massive gamble on Gay Mitchell finishing last and they wanted to take out the competition! ;-)
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Leinsterman wrote:And he was only going at 100kmph at the time when it burst and he nearly lost control. Yeah right. :lol:

In fact, why was he driving at only 100kmph on the motorway? :evil:
It was a slow day :idea:
T - 45