The WTF thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: The WTF thread

Post by fourthirtythree »

While somebody is forcing to you pay for it and therefore it's worth complaining about, nobody forces you to watch it. I've never seen it nor anything else on that crapTV list. Surely the word "reality" in front of a description is enough to let any educated grown up know it's not worth paying any attention to.

A bit like "based on a true story": we didn't make a documentary but we didn't believe in the integrity of the fiction that we did make enough to market it as itself. When you are selling a TV show which is set up like all other shows on the basis that it's unrehearsed...
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

RTÉ claim Fade Street is not scripted which to me just means the dialogue is outlined and left to be ad-libbed. The scenarios and storylines are definitely set up.

Take one of the items from the highlight list above. Paul arrives at Oxegen to discover that his girlfriend (I've no idea which one she is) has "forgotten " to leave him a ticket at the guest list so he's stranded outside. Despite this Paul has no difficulty at all in gaining access to Oxegen and to the VIP section where he finds his girlfriend "drunk" and playing crazy golf with a bunch of equally "drunk" people.

In my defence, a mate was in that episode so we were looking out for her.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Broken Wing wrote:RTÉ claim Fade Street is not scripted which to me just means the dialogue is outlined and left to be ad-libbed. The scenarios and storylines are definitely set up.
Neither Cassavetes nor Larry David (to use two extreme examples) use that excuse to suggest audiences make allowances for what they produce. They don't need to. "Reality" TV producers do because what they produce is inconsequential rubbish.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:RTÉ claim Fade Street is not scripted which to me just means the dialogue is outlined and left to be ad-libbed. The scenarios and storylines are definitely set up.
Neither Cassavetes nor Larry David (to use two extreme examples) use that excuse to suggest audiences make allowances for what they produce. They don't need to. "Reality" TV producers do because what they produce is inconsequential rubbish.
I agree. I think it's dreadful nonsense. RTÉ always moan about how they buy so much US cr@p because home made stuff is so expensive but they'll waste money on a second series of this tripe.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Donny B. wrote: There's no depths to which RTE won't stoop these days. Their publicity over their "new season" was thoroughly depressing. Not one decent show, just another barrel of the usual shite.

barrel of shite indeed. & i see that they still have Daire O'Brien doing the rugby. So that's a conman, 2 clowns & a drugs cheat :roll:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

French film star Gerard Depardieu was kicked off a flight out of Paris after he was caught short while he waited for take-off and urinated into a bottle.

The cinema legend had been due to fly to Dublin on a CityJet flight on Tuesday evening and was told three times by cabin crew he could not use the bathroom.

It is understood the movie star got out of his seat and tried to relieve himself into an empty bottle at the back of the plane but also urinated on the floor.

Police were called after the plane returned to the departure gate and the Oscar-nominated Depardieu was ordered off.

CityJet insisted the plane was "fit for purpose" after it returned to the runway for take-off at Charles de Gaulle Airport.

Depardieu had been due to fly to Ireland as filming has begun on Asterix and Obelix: God Save Britannia, part four of the adventures of two Gauls who resist Roman occupation with help from a magic potion.

Depardieu, 62, and star of films such as Cyrano de Bergerac and Green Card, has claimed he has not drunk alcohol for the last two months.

It is understood he claims he repeatedly asked if he could use the toilet after drinking a litre of water shortly before take-off. He also claims he asked for permission from cabin crew three times but was refused.

A passenger on the CityJet plane contacted a French radio station on Wednesday morning reporting the incident and claimed the movie star had urinated on the aisle.

The traveller claimed he stood up minutes before take-off and declared in a loud voice: "Je veux pisser. Je veux pisser."
http://www.independent.ie/and-finally/s ... 50854.html
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Big Brother back on telly.

Biggest WTF ever!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:Big Brother back on telly.

Biggest WTF ever!
Christ.... I thought that was canned!!
Dont Panic!
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

Dexter wrote:
brummie-leinster-man wrote:Big Brother back on telly.

Biggest WTF ever!
Christ.... I thought that was canned!!
It's only on Channel 5 though, so I think we're safe here!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

I think this may belong here: Believe TV in trouble
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

There's one born again every minute.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

This definitely belongs here:

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/bu ... on.html#cr

Really.....WTF
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

This one is somewhat shocking/suprising

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 39497.html
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

TerenureJim wrote:This one is somewhat shocking/suprising

Is it? I don't see anything shocking about that at all. British intelligence has been working with Libya since the Lockerbie/IRA deal as part of the peace process. This was bolstered by the fact that Gadaffy was very anti al-qaeda who became the only terrorists Western governments were interested in during the last decade. Or is it the notion that some charity funds don't go where you think they should? Or is it that there are accusations against an Irish citizen that remain unsubstantiated even after seven years of surveillance? Can US/Irish/British intelligence be that stupid that they can't find anything on someone they claim to be a leading supporter of terrorism after all that time?

I don't know, nothing surprising or shocking in there to me.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

fourthirtythree wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:This one is somewhat shocking/suprising

Is it? I don't see anything shocking about that at all. British intelligence has been working with Libya since the Lockerbie/IRA deal as part of the peace process. This was bolstered by the fact that Gadaffy was very anti al-qaeda who became the only terrorists Western governments were interested in during the last decade. Or is it the notion that some charity funds don't go where you think they should? Or is it that there are accusations against an Irish citizen that remain unsubstantiated even after seven years of surveillance? Can US/Irish/British intelligence be that stupid that they can't find anything on someone they claim to be a leading supporter of terrorism after all that time?

I don't know, nothing surprising or shocking in there to me.
The other thing to take from that article is that if you are a member of an Islamist group or raise money for Islamic charities then you must be a terrorist!
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

by the looks of them their parents were doing the same

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... t-sex.html
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

That was some serious rain at 9:16 - http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar-old.asp?ani=y
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Must get rid of my collection of old Robinson Jam Jars and my video collection of the Black and White Minstrel show. :roll: :roll: :roll:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hornet wrote:
Must get rid of my collection of old Robinson Jam Jars and my video collection of the Black and White Minstrel show. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yeah bit odd and clearly the neighbours don't like each other but that said why are the BNP showing up to offer her support? Not too sure I'd want those lads turning up to support me in a case where I'd been accused of racial abuse