Wedding Locations

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Wedding Locations

Post by TerenureJim »

Just cant see the value of paying corkage so it's an area I'll be pressing any hotel we approach. I just don't see what service the offer to justify it.

By the by has anyone done a wedding in Donegal either Letterkenny or Donegal town end. Seems to be a rake of very nice hotels up that direction which I figure might be a destination wedding that's a bit outside the usual 1-2 hours outside Dublin and hence maybe might be more inclined to haggle to get a big party in.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: This is a disaster, I was at a wedding where wholesale bartering ensued and the masses were walking around exchanging bottles of wine for differing shades!
Although enjoying the thread I usually avoid weddings so I am a bit confused as to why this is a disaster. People are up and down all the time to the bar if they don't drink the wine. As far as I can see it helps people from different tables mix. If it is a problem just give a polite request not to be bartering the wine.
Picture a fat drunk man with a bottle of white in each hand, going from table to table offering 2 white for 1 red in the middle of dinner and you might rethink!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Just cant see the value of paying corkage so it's an area I'll be pressing any hotel we approach. I just don't see what service the offer to justify it.

By the by has anyone done a wedding in Donegal either Letterkenny or Donegal town end. Seems to be a rake of very nice hotels up that direction which I figure might be a destination wedding that's a bit outside the usual 1-2 hours outside Dublin and hence maybe might be more inclined to haggle to get a big party in.
Was at a wedding in Harvey's point a couple of yrs ago, cracking place on a pretty spectacular setting.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sh1t I'm not supposed to be on this Thread........... Yau didn't see me....Right?
Last edited by johng on January 17th, 2013, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Picture a fat drunk man with a bottle of white in each hand, going from table to table offering 2 white for 1 red in the middle of dinner and you might rethink!
That's just fatist and drunkist! :shock:
Jaysus, Spoofer called me a racist earlier in the week! I'm going to have to tone it down a touch!
Daniel Sullivan
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

TerenureJim wrote:Just cant see the value of paying corkage so it's an area I'll be pressing any hotel we approach. I just don't see what service the offer to justify it.

Was at Lough Eske last March. Cracking hotel. Unlike Harvey's Point, it's not actually on the lake but still a lovely hotel. They also offer a chocolate fountain as part of their package which was a nice novelty that was very popular (but resulted in multiple chocolate covered children and one chocolate covered ceemec running wild).
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Hang on, are hotels charging corkage on wine they're supplying themselves???
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

honeyec wrote:Hang on, are hotels charging corkage on wine they're supplying themselves???
No - they charge on wine you bring. And to answer the question above as to why - it is to compensate for their lost profit on what they would have sold - the logic being that the profit on drink sales is part of the business model. It wouldn't be profitable without it.

You can try not paying any but I don't think there are many places that will agree - unless maybe you suggested a significantly higher charge on the location - same thing in effect but a flat charge rather than a "per bottle" charge
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

The Doc wrote:
honeyec wrote:Hang on, are hotels charging corkage on wine they're supplying themselves???
No - they charge on wine you bring. And to answer the question above as to why - it is to compensate for their lost profit on what they would have sold - the logic being that the profit on drink sales is part of the business model. It wouldn't be profitable without it.
Yeah, I know all that, just the way some people were talking it sounded like their hotels were charging corkage/pouring charges even on their own wine.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Doc wrote:

You can try not paying any but I don't think there are many places that will agree - unless maybe you suggested a significantly higher charge on the location - same thing in effect but a flat charge rather than a "per bottle" charge
Oh I get that they're trying to make up for the loss on the drinks you would have bought but in all honesty I'd say as with a lot of Irish weddings the bar will probably run out of booze so it's not like they won't make a bit on that.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Date sorted, venue sorted, band sorted, ceremony venue and celebrant agreed upon and to be sorted shortly.

All that's left is the decor, the favourites, the seating plan, the menu and various other details that are well down the road.

Happy days.

And a big thanks to all the posters on here for the ideas, it may not have seemed like much but we got some great info from you guys which helped a huge amount in decisions made.

No doubt I'll be revisiting this thread from tiem to time and giving it bumps up the general page, much to the annoyance of John G no doubt, when we get down to ideas on details such as what wine label/champagne etc. etc. etc.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:the seating plan
Bahahahahahahahahahah!
Enjoy that evening.
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Watch out Franc....weddings by Leinsterfans is after your business! ;-)
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The other half found this during recent research for anyone looking for the perfect cake topping...

http://shop.weddingsonline.ie/online-st ... e-figurine

Also anyone know of a place that'd rent a delorean for a few hours.....
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

TerenureJim wrote:The other half found this during recent research for anyone looking for the perfect cake topping...

Try here
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

TerenureJim wrote:The other half found this during recent research for anyone looking for the perfect cake topping...

I tried to procure this one but she was rather unimpressed:

http://www.thecakecreator.ie/shopimages ... 0chain.jpg
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ceemec wrote:

Ha, the bro had that one!
Daniel Sullivan
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

TerenureJim wrote:Has anyone out there ever been to a Springbreak show or hired them for a wedding, they seem to be popping up a lot name wise in terms of the google engine for wedding bands. Are they good? Pricey? Difficult to get?
My brother had them. They were €4k which is pricy but that was 2010. They were brilliant but did not play long enough IMO.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hickiefan wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Has anyone out there ever been to a Springbreak show or hired them for a wedding, they seem to be popping up a lot name wise in terms of the google engine for wedding bands. Are they good? Pricey? Difficult to get?
My brother had them. They were €4k which is pricy but that was 2010. They were brilliant but did not play long enough IMO.
Thanks, guess its a sign of a good band when you say they didn't play long enough!

We're looking at cakes at the moment, if anyone has time google "Aliens Wedding Cake" not sure herself is going to go with it but I can always hope!
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

ceemec wrote:

I don't blame her.

I wanted the Alien chestbursters but himself wasn't having it. We just didn't bother with caketoppers in the end.