The Rose Of Tralee

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

The Rose Of Tralee

Post by Duff Paddy »

Dublin rose on newstalk just there, Sarah Gilmartin is her name, 21years old from Killiney, got entered by her bf apparently.

The (female) presenter on newstalk: "So what do you think of the situation in the middle east?"

Dublin Rose: "I think they're doing a great job"

Presenter: "Oh really, I think the people of South Lebanon might be surprised to hear you say that"

Dubln Rose: "I think they're trying really hard"

Presenter: "Do you think the UN resolution will work"

Dublin Rose: "eh, yeah".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

classic.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Re: The Rose Of Tralee

Post by Duke Raoul »

Duff Paddy wrote:Dublin rose on newstalk just there, Sarah Gilmartin is her name, 21years old from Killiney, got entered by her bf apparently.

The (female) presenter on newstalk: "So what do you think of the situation in the middle east?"

Presenter: "Oh really, I think the people of South Lebanon might be surprised to hear you say that"

classic.
Hee hee! :lol:

Magic.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:Dublin rose on newstalk just there, Sarah Gilmartin is her name, 21years old from Killiney, got entered by her bf apparently.

classic.
I heard that and thought that the presenter was deliberately attempting to make the rose look completly stupid (which she did). It was unfair for a middle of the road, low brow magazine programme to throw in a qustion like that. The stand in presenter comes across as considering herself to be superior to everyone else and just ends up making herself look stupid. Her continuing instance on interrupting every guest that tries to answer her banal questions puts her into the Pat Kenny league of interviewers.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I disagree Slipper - i thought it was great craic. The Rose of Tralee is an insult to any intelligent, self-respecting woman and should rightly be ridiculed. I know a dentistry student who once took park in the RoT - first time I met her I was giving her the usual cheese "have I met you before somewhere" and she goes "you probably know me from being on the RoT 2 years ago". I was just like "eh, yeah, that must be it" WOOP!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

classic.
Blonde Ambition ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
T - 45
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:

classic.
Blonde Ambition ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I'm sure from a blow-in's perspective the RoT is Ireland at it's best - what other country would dare put on such a show - pretty girls, all doing degress and that, all so accomplised at singing, dancing and poetry. And all amateurs with none of them asking for it to go professional. Can't wait for it to be over!!
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:I disagree Slipper - i thought it was great craic. The Rose of Tralee is an insult to any intelligent, self-respecting woman and should rightly be ridiculed. I know a dentistry student who once took park in the RoT - first time I met her I was giving her the usual cheese "have I met you before somewhere" and she goes "you probably know me from being on the RoT 2 years ago". I was just like "eh, yeah, that must be it" WOOP!
No I am not disagreeing with the fact that the girl sounded dim and the competition is backward, she could have come up with a much better answer than she did - My issue is with the fact that the presenter set out with a clear "I am superior to you" attitude and deliberately worked her way towards attempting to make the Dublin Rose entrant look stupid.

That is unfair and bad journalism
Get in the f%~king bag.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Slipper1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I disagree Slipper - i thought it was great craic. The Rose of Tralee is an insult to any intelligent, self-respecting woman and should rightly be ridiculed. I know a dentistry student who once took park in the RoT - first time I met her I was giving her the usual cheese "have I met you before somewhere" and she goes "you probably know me from being on the RoT 2 years ago". I was just like "eh, yeah, that must be it" WOOP!
No I am not disagreeing with the fact that the girl sounded dim and the competition is backward, she could have come up with a much better answer than she did - My issue is with the fact that the presenter set out with a clear "I am superior to you" attitude and deliberately worked her way towards attempting to make the Dublin Rose entrant look stupid.

oh yeah you're dead right - it was a fairly snide little set-up but by God, it made for great radio.

Anyway, Newstalk is not the place to seek out good journalism - although getting rid of Dunphy was a good start. Moncrief is a fantastic radio talent, Hook is quite good too. They need to ditch some of the deadwood - especially the ghastly Orla Barry, who is simply rubbish.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Bit graphic for this time of the day isn't it? Are Newstalk becoming a "shock jock" station?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:

oh yeah you're dead right - it was a fairly snide little set-up but by God, it made for great radio.

Anyway, Newstalk is not the place to seek out good journalism - although getting rid of Dunphy was a good start. Moncrief is a fantastic radio talent, Hook is quite good too. They need to ditch some of the deadwood - especially the ghastly Orla Barry, who is simply rubbish.
Agreed -Moncreif is top noch, though Hookey needs to sort out his sinus issues - he sounds plastered every evening during his show.
Get in the f%~king bag.
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

ROT is a fantastic window into Irish life for a foreigner like myself. Second only to Winning Streak
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Slipper1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Slipper1 wrote: No I am not disagreeing with the fact that the girl sounded dim and the competition is backward, she could have come up with a much better answer than she did - My issue is with the fact that the presenter set out with a clear "I am superior to you" attitude and deliberately worked her way towards attempting to make the Dublin Rose entrant look stupid.

Agreed -Moncreif is top noch, though Hookey needs to sort out his sinus issues - he sounds plastered every evening during his show.
Just read Hooky monster's book. Interesting chap.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

StuF wrote:ROT is a fantastic window into Irish life for a foreigner like myself. Second only to Winning Streak
Or Fame and Fortune in the summer.... good old Marty Whelan.... what a talent :clap: :clap:

What a professional!!!!
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Just read Hooky monster's book. Interesting chap.
I knew his daughter well in what he calls the "dark days" he certainly is in a different place both mentally & financially now. I still wonder how someone so beautiful as she, is half George?

Her wedding photo is in his book - have a look and you will see what I mean.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Did anyone hear the clip from the Moncreiff show where Henry interviewed the Miss World contestants?

If not it was pretty much the ROT interview but with more dumb females. Highly entertaining.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Slipper1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: Just read Hooky monster's book. Interesting chap.
I knew his daughter well in what he calls the "dark days" he certainly is in a different place both mentally & financially now. I still wonder how someone so beautiful as she, is half George?

Her wedding photo is in his book - have a look and you will see what I mean.
The poor son, the guy managing the Lansdowne Hotel, is the spit of him.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

StuF wrote:ROT is a fantastic window into Irish life for a foreigner like myself. Second only to Winning Streak
I don't often say this but I wish I written this one
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Broken Wing wrote:Did anyone hear the clip from the Moncreiff show where Henry interviewed the Miss World contestants?

If not it was pretty much the ROT interview but with more dumb females. Highly entertaining.
They just played the clip of Henry talking to Spoiral "I'd like to be a 'rapper' Spoiral, do you think I could be a 'rapper'"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Surely to god, beauty(?) contestants are supposed to be authorities on world peace!
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

sarah_lennon wrote:Surely to god, beauty(?) contestants are supposed to be authorities on world peace!
But is it not a "Miss Lovely Girl" competition and is that not altogether different?