Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

heno
Knowledgeable

Re: Corona Virus

Post by heno »

Laighin Break wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Have any of our cases made a full recovery?
According to the John Hopkins dashboard there have been 0 recoveries in Ireland.
First coronavirus patient discharged from CUH after making full recovery

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breaki ... 87419.html

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

By full recovery we are talking 48 hours having tested negative for the virus?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Logorrhea wrote:By full recovery we are talking 48 hours having tested negative for the virus?
That's what I heard about another case in Italy. Once they tested negative two days in a row they were clear.

It's two weeks since the first case here and the virus last for 2-3 weeks doesn't it so there wouldn't have been any recoveries before now. Hopefully that number rises sharply.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:By full recovery we are talking 48 hours having tested negative for the virus?
That's what I heard about another case in Italy. Once they tested negative two days in a row they were clear.

It's two weeks since the first case here and the virus last for 2-3 weeks doesn't it so there wouldn't have been any recoveries before now. Hopefully that number rises sharply.
Think it’s 10-11 days since the first case in Ireland. 14 days is this Saturday. We don’t know how many of the subsequent travel related cases were pre or post the first case. Incubation averages 2-10 days but can be as much as 14 and there are cases of 19, 24 and 27. The median is 6.4 for travellers from Wuhan. Maybe we’d be better if they told us, maybe not.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... on-period/

I was optimistic about our chances up until the last 3-4 days. Cheltenham is going to screw us big time.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What is the public health prognosis on proportions of the population that will require hospitalisation? I've read highly varying figures and all very confusing.

Is there an estimated % of total population who will need hospital?
Is there an estimated % of those infected who will need hospital?
Is there an estimated % of those over 60 & infected, who will need hospital?

Finally, given that those who get sick from the virus will be identified and admitted to hospital, can we use this figure to work back to what number of people are likely to have been infected and thus get an estimate of the % of the total population that have been infected.

Questions, questions, questions.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The most important and practical piece of information that we should and need to be given is "where the cases are occurring and particularly where the clusters are".
By where I mean the towns and in the cities, districts.
Additionally we should be told to bulk buy (as opposed to panic buy), the reason for this should be obvious.
Personally, if things go to plan me and Mrs School will be in lockdown from Monday.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Question.
Should somebody over 65 contract CV they are likely to become ill.
Assuming there are no underlying health issues.
What advice, initially, is your GP likely to give.
What treatment is being recommended.
Thinking here being, what over the counter meds should I stock up on.
As an aside what kind of temperature rises is likely.
Is it likely to be higher the more severe the illness.
Any other contra indications other coughing and sneezing, soreness of limbs, headache etc.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote:Question.
Any other contra indications other coughing and sneezing, soreness of limbs, headache etc.
If it's anything like it is over here in the UK you're well behind the curve on buying to wait things out. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are the usual suspects for self treatment and are nowhere to be found. Any OOC meds will not prevent your symptoms from getting to a dangerous level, they will only help lessen them - if things are getting bad medical intervention is required.
Anyone But New Zealand
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

First of all - I'd probably not look to this site for information.

Some of your questions on symptoms and treatment are answered here - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavi ... virus.html

Advice on self isolation and quarantine - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavi ... ction.html

Bear in mind - self isolation is only suggested if you have symptoms. It is not the advice for the general population. The general advice is to reduce social interaction to slow down the spread - not to stop all contact. The reality is that the virus can't be eliminated. The idea is to reduce the risk for "high risk" people and manage the burden on teh health service until the population has developed immunity - either through contracting it or through a vaccine.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

The Doc wrote:
First of all - I'd probably not look to this site for information.

Some of your questions on symptoms and treatment are answered here - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavi ... virus.html

Advice on self isolation and quarantine - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavi ... ction.html

Bear in mind - self isolation is only suggested if you have symptoms. It is not the advice for the general population. The general advice is to reduce social interaction to slow down the spread - not to stop all contact. The reality is that the virus can't be eliminated. The idea is to reduce the risk for "high risk" people and manage the burden on teh health service until the population has developed immunity - either through contracting it or through a vaccine.
I just realised - despite my username I am not a doctor - that is a reference to something else altogether
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

well if your not a Doctor, your either a drug dealer, a rapper or an inventor of time machines?

Either way, the more people understand this the better "The idea is to reduce the risk for "high risk" people and manage the burden on the health service until the population has developed immunity - either through contracting it or through a vaccine."
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Think it’s 10-11 days since the first case in Ireland. 14 days is this Saturday. We don’t know how many of the subsequent travel related cases were pre or post the first case. Incubation averages 2-10 days but can be as much as 14 and there are cases of 19, 24 and 27. The median is 6.4 for travellers from Wuhan. Maybe we’d be better if they told us, maybe not.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... on-period/

I was optimistic about our chances up until the last 3-4 days. Cheltenham is going to screw us big time.
Sorry I got mixed up with the first case in the north. When that happened I took that as being when we got it tbh.

Obviously we don't know what the right approach is yet but it makes me very uncomfortable that we have a different approach to the North and it sounds like that's causing trouble now because Michelle O'Neill wants to break from the approach in the rest of the UK.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Premier league and EFL suspended until further notice.
All French rugby suspended.
I've got the Soprano's on DVD, all episodes.
All UEFA fixtures suspended
MBA, MLB, PGA all suspended.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote:Premier league and EFL suspended until further notice.
All French rugby suspended.
I've got the Soprano's on DVD, all episodes.
All UEFA fixtures suspended
MBA, MLB, PGA all suspended.
It's absolutely unbelievable that as of late yesterday evening the PL and EFL both said it was business as usual. Even before Arteta was confirmed there seemed to be fairly solid stories that Leicester, Chelsea, and Everton were all quarantined.

And yet Wales Scotland is still scheduled to go ahead. I'd say that might change either because of a Government directive or someone falling ill but to be so adamant about playing it seems like insanity. I don't think it'll help long term anyway, I'd have thought it would be better to have to rearrange games collectively.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Yeah, even on a purely mercantile basis the attendance will likely be down. If they play it in a few months after (hopefully) things return to normal then they'd probably make more money
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Seems like Borris and team pushing the business as normal and its here so let's have it spread and develop herd immunity and yes a percentage of people die but thats triage. Very cold and calculated risks in the uk. Seem to be a real outlier in terms of approach and even scientifically there appears to be a lot of dispute with their approach.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Well, if our methods work , and theirs are seen not to, travel Ireland -UK ( Including to/ from NI) will have to be restricted / stopped- Though God only Knows how that could be done to and from NI
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

TerenureJim wrote:Seems like Borris and team pushing the business as normal and its here so let's have it spread and develop herd immunity and yes a percentage of people die but thats triage. Very cold and calculated risks in the uk. Seem to be a real outlier in terms of approach and even scientifically there appears to be a lot of dispute with their approach.
Problem with that is the NHS will collapse if you don't set out to slow its spread.

Suppose that's a positive for the Tories.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

TerenureJim wrote:Seems like Borris and team pushing the business as normal and its here so let's have it spread and develop herd immunity and yes a percentage of people die but thats triage. Very cold and calculated risks in the uk. Seem to be a real outlier in terms of approach and even scientifically there appears to be a lot of dispute with their approach.
Yet to see any actual scientists come out against the approach the UK Government is taking, just the social media mob. Spread of infection is at a different stage over here than it is in Ireland. Actions like Irelands will come in later. All decisions made so far are under recommendation of CMO and Scientists.
Anyone But New Zealand
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

FLIP wrote:
Yet to see any actual scientists come out against the approach the UK Government is taking, just the social media mob. Spread of infection is at a different stage over here than it is in Ireland. Actions like Irelands will come in later. All decisions made so far are under recommendation of CMO and Scientists.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-pathetic

From yesterday