for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:We either trust the 80/20 risk split and keep the 20% locked up and tell them that's the plan and/or sort out our testing or sh1t is going to happen and we risk losing the advantage we've gained.
The financial and mental pressures on people are building up and something positive has to be done about it.
The word indefinitely is not an option.
Testing is there purely to inform the government as to effectiveness of their countermeasures. That is it.
Testing has value for people whether they test positive or negative and it has a major impact on the people they care for or who care for them.
Apologies for the insensitivity you are correct, a major impact.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Can anyone explain why other nations are going down the same testing and tracing route that has been so successful in s korea and Germany ?

why are we not all just following that lead?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

JB1973 wrote:Can anyone explain why other nations are going down the same testing and tracing route that has been so successful in s korea and Germany ?

why are we not all just following that lead?
I presume you mean why is everyone not following the Korean and German example? In Ireland its because we appear to lack the testing kits and the the physical capacity to turn around tests and get results out. There is a backlog which is being cleared now, in part using German labs so I think we should be up to date in a week. In the UK who knows? The government keep saying that testing will be ramped up to German levels and then not meeting the target by a mile. So it could just be because they are incompetent or they are unofficially sticking with the so-called 'herd immunity' strategy.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Got a text to say I tested negative for Covid, then a phonecall 2 days later to say it was negative. Which I thought was odd, as at the test centre they said they'd only ring me if it was a positive result. Happy my test is negative, but I fear it could be wrong. I had several of the symptoms lasting 2 weeks, also I'm rarely ill. When I was tested I was feeling better and my results were nearly 3 weeks in coming back. For my peace of mind, I'd like a blood test to see if I did have it, but realistically it's small potatoes with all that's happening.
Peggy glad to hear your wife is improving.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RoboProp wrote:Got a text to say I tested negative for Covid, then a phonecall 2 days later to say it was negative. Which I thought was odd, as at the test centre they said they'd only ring me if it was a positive result. Happy my test is negative, but I fear it could be wrong. I had several of the symptoms lasting 2 weeks, also I'm rarely ill. When I was tested I was feeling better and my results were nearly 3 weeks in coming back. For my peace of mind, I'd like a blood test to see if I did have it, but realistically it's small potatoes with all that's happening.
Peggy glad to hear your wife is improving.
I had a bad dose of flu in January that if I had it now I'd have no doubt I had coronavirus. But the timing was all wrong. Maybe you had the same thing?
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Trump has been a very mixed bag on COVID 19 but he's dead right to pull funding on WHO.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
bertlim
Beginner

Post by bertlim »

Oldschool wrote:Trump has been a very mixed bag on COVID 19 but he's dead right to pull funding on WHO.
Why?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Because China.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bertlim wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Trump has been a very mixed bag on COVID 19 but he's dead right to pull funding on WHO.
Why?
Because he's not alone.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-70135427
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I wonder had trump asked himself these questions
A) what is a wet market?
B) do all wet markets sell live animals?
C) do all wet markets sell live wild animals?
D) do all wet markets butcher animals in front of you?
E) how many people in the world rely on wild meat as part of their protein intake?
F) why?
G) do all wild animals being traded end up in wet markets?
H) do all wild animals being traded end up in the food chain?
I) whats easier to target, a wet market which is easier to see or the trade in wild animals which is not so easy to see?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

For your immune system health.
Vitamin D3
Beans and/or Bananas.
Yogurts
Probiotics
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

heno wrote:I wonder had trump asked himself these questions
A) what is a wet market?
E) how many people in the world rely on wild meat as part of their protein intake?
F) why?
I) whats easier to target, a wet market which is easier to see or the trade in wild animals which is not so easy to see?

Maybe when you're finished asking yourself questions you'll actually come to a conclusion.
And don't forget to ask yourself about the origins of SARS and COVID19 (if you don't know the answer then there's a problem.......)
BTW a few more questions for you to consider.
Did the AustralianPM ask himself?
A) What is a wet market.
B)
While I'm at it.
Did the WHO ask
A) What is a wet market.
And don't forget to ask yourself.
A) What is a wet market
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

To describe this lunatic as being a 'mixed bag' on the pandemic is extraordinarily charitable. Furthermore the WHO provides essential assistance to developing countries where public health is as underfunded as in, for instance, the USA.

His sole reason for withdrawing funding is, as usual, to distract from his own abysmal failures. It's an enormous surprise to see the xenophobic Australian government jump on board as well, truly shocking.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Trump tells people he's the only one who can help while disowning any of the consequences of the Virus, so you see it's a mixed bag.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

A) what is a wet market?
F) why?

Seems increasingly likely it's escaped from a lab and not at all related to the wet market.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

paddyor wrote:
A) what is a wet market?
F) why?

Seems increasingly likely it's escaped from a lab and not at all related to the wet market.
Not what the report states. It was being investigated in the lab and there is the possibility of inadequate safeguards. But the origin of the virus through various species has been worked out - it originates in animals and is not man made.

"Wet market" is a bit broad - if you go to a fruit and veg market, that is a wet market. The issue is livestock markets.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

The Doc wrote:"Wet market" is a bit broad - if you go to a fruit and veg market, that is a wet market. The issue is livestock markets.
It's not just livestock markets though, but those peddling in what could be termed exotic and hunted meats instead of standard farmed meat raised to follow standards.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hippo wrote:
To describe this lunatic as being a 'mixed bag' on the pandemic is extraordinarily charitable. Furthermore the WHO provides essential assistance to developing countries where public health is as underfunded as in, for instance, the USA.

His sole reason for withdrawing funding is, as usual, to distract from his own abysmal failures. It's an enormous surprise to see the xenophobic Australian government jump on board as well, truly shocking.
WHO surely have a similar opinion of Mr Trump to your own.
WHO were warned that Trump was thinking about withdrawing their funding.
Given Trump's volatility do you think it was wise of them to risk losing that funding and effectively hurt the developing just to approve China's reopening of the "wet markets"
WHO shoot selves in foot shocker.
As for underfunded health services here's looking elsewhere.
It's a fair comment to say that the overriding strategy in dealing with COVID19 has been isolation not a good health system.
Trumpanoia is amazingly tunnel visioned.
Was listening to a guy on British TV freaking about Trump.
Everything he was accusing Trump of, the British the have under achieved on despite the NHS which is good plated compared to the HSE.
In particular he was ranting about the number of cases and deaths. This just as the news is breaking that there are some counting issues in regards to deaths.
UK isn't doing as well as the US on a per capita basic in terms of deaths for example. Total deaths 12k v 31k - you can work the per capita yourself.
BTW I would give the credit for the fight against CV to the governor's less so Trump but Trump all bad, nah
As for the Australian distrust of China, it just goes to show they're more clued in than some.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

FLIP wrote:
The Doc wrote:"Wet market" is a bit broad - if you go to a fruit and veg market, that is a wet market. The issue is livestock markets.
It's not just livestock markets though, but those peddling in what could be termed exotic and hunted meats instead of standard farmed meat raised to follow standards.
I know the problem - my point is that people use the term "wet market" meaning meat. Wet market is a term to differentiate from Supermarkets with packaged goods or other non-perishable markets such as electrical markets. A wet market includes a flower market or a fruit and veg market.

If people mean livestock or meat markets they should be specific
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Oldschool wrote: WHO surely have a similar opinion of Mr Trump to your own.
WHO were warned that Trump was thinking about withdrawing their funding.
Given Trump's volatility do you think it was wise of them to risk losing that funding and effectively hurt the developing just to approve China's reopening of the "wet markets"
WHO shoot selves in foot shocker.
As for underfunded health services here's looking elsewhere.
It's a fair comment to say that the overriding strategy in dealing with COVID19 has been isolation not a good health system.
Trumpanoia is amazingly tunnel visioned.
Was listening to a guy on British TV freaking about Trump.
Everything he was accusing Trump of, the British the have under achieved on despite the NHS which is good plated compared to the HSE.
In particular he was ranting about the number of cases and deaths. This just as the news is breaking that there are some counting issues in regards to deaths.
UK isn't doing as well as the US on a per capita basic in terms of deaths for example. Total deaths 12k v 31k - you can work the per capita yourself.
BTW I would give the credit for the fight against CV to the governor's less so Trump but Trump all bad, nah
As for the Australian distrust of China, it just goes to show they're more clued in than some.
There's so much here, so much. But I really haven't the energy. Carry on.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan