Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: Corona Virus

Post by kermischocolate »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:I am stuck in London lads (I live in switzerland)..and will be stuck here for a few more weeks.....the situation here is jaw droppingly shambolic. Not just the governments approach but the amount of doctors & nurses falling like flies to covid19 is astonishing. Some NHS staff are using bin bags to try and protect themselves from catching it.
If people are pointing the finger at china for not disclosing the true figure...brace yourself for the UK figures when they come in.
In the meantime, everyone is donating millions to the NHS because a 100 year old with a new hip is doing laps up and down his garden.
Fair play to the old guy, but, it is hard to describe how shambolic the approach has been here.
A thousand times this. As an NHS worker it has got beyond the realms of shambolic and firmly into corporate manslaughter imo.
Stay safe.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:Trump tells people he's the only one who can help while disowning any of the consequences of the Virus, so you see it's a mixed bag.
And outbidding his own states for supplies as well as pirating other private companies deliveries set to ship to other markets.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:Trump has been a very mixed bag on COVID 19 but he's dead right to pull funding on WHO.
Not the time for local politics in a global issue. Trump has been an unmitigated disaster. 5 years ago Obama moved to resource FEMA for this very purpose and he rerouted funding from the for a national garden fence.
His only efforts have been in service of markets and his reelection.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
paddyor wrote:Trump tells people he's the only one who can help while disowning any of the consequences of the Virus, so you see it's a mixed bag.
And outbidding his own states for supplies as well as pirating other private companies deliveries set to ship to other markets.
Do you disagree with that?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Trump has been a very mixed bag on COVID 19 but he's dead right to pull funding on WHO.
Not the time for local politics in a global issue. Trump has been an unmitigated disaster. 5 years ago Obama moved to resource FEMA for this very purpose and he rerouted funding from the for a national garden fence.
The WHO isn't local politics!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

The WHO isn't local politics. By removing funding he is playing to his base.
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote:The WHO isn't local politics!
Everything is local to him. I think the best description I've read is that he's not really intelligent in the bookish way. But he has an animal cunning for keeping himself centre stage.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Mixed!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

domhnallj wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Despite having a life-long passion and involvement with numbers, I can't understand how Prof Nolan can confirm that the 'R- ratio' for infection in Ireland is below 1 - given the minimal level and biased nature of tests conducted to date in Ireland.

If the vast majority of testing has been conducted on people exhibiting symptoms of the Virus, but the medical analysis says that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus also, what is the science or mathematics that indicates we have sufficient information to explain or calculate the current rate of infection of the c. 4.6m people untested to date? [i.e. c. 100,000 of population of 4.7m tested to date]

I would be grateful for any explanation or reference to any Paper explaining the basis of Prof Nolan's assertion. My name isn't Thomas, but my instinct always tends to doubting when I can't understand the fundamental basis of any public utterance.
There is an absolute deluge of models hitting the page on this so it can be hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I've attached a link to a paper from Neil Ferguson's group at Imperial since he is a well noted epidemiologist. I had a quick skim and they use a Bayesian approach with weak priors to generate their results. The relatively wide credible intervals they are reporting suggest they need a lot more data from individual countries and to probably use a more informative prior (but they need data to do this with any confidence). The model's output will change with updating though and this was published over two weeks ago.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperi ... 3-2020.pdf[/quote

Thanks @domhnallj.

Interesting Paper and inevitably numerous caveats and suppositions. Primary source data is the 11 EU countries further along the Covid curve. The two most significant, Italy & Spain excluded the majority of Care Home deaths from their initial data. Both are now integrating this data into their Reports and Italy is investigating the death rate in all State owned Car Homes.

My fundamental concern is that the basis of estimation of 'R' is not based on verified data. Lacking any other reference point (which greater daily testing could provide), there is no logical basis for saying that Prof Nolan's figure of 'R'= or < 1 is anything more than wishful thinking.

I hope he's right but I'd prefer more than a guess as my guideline.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Despite having a life-long passion and involvement with numbers, I can't understand how Prof Nolan can confirm that the 'R- ratio' for infection in Ireland is below 1 - given the minimal level and biased nature of tests conducted to date in Ireland.

If the vast majority of testing has been conducted on people exhibiting symptoms of the Virus, but the medical analysis says that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus also, what is the science or mathematics that indicates we have sufficient information to explain or calculate the current rate of infection of the c. 4.6m people untested to date? [i.e. c. 100,000 of population of 4.7m tested to date]

I would be grateful for any explanation or reference to any Paper explaining the basis of Prof Nolan's assertion. My name isn't Thomas, but my instinct always tends to doubting when I can't understand the fundamental basis of any public utterance.
There is an absolute deluge of models hitting the page on this so it can be hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I've attached a link to a paper from Neil Ferguson's group at Imperial since he is a well noted epidemiologist. I had a quick skim and they use a Bayesian approach with weak priors to generate their results. The relatively wide credible intervals they are reporting suggest they need a lot more data from individual countries and to probably use a more informative prior (but they need data to do this with any confidence). The model's output will change with updating though and this was published over two weeks ago.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperi ... 3-2020.pdf[/quote

Thanks @domhnallj.

Interesting Paper and inevitably numerous caveats and suppositions. Primary source data is the 11 EU countries further along the Covid curve. The two most significant, Italy & Spain excluded the majority of Care Home deaths from their initial data. Both are now integrating this data into their Reports and Italy is investigating the death rate in all State owned Car Homes.

My fundamental concern is that the basis of estimation of 'R' is not based on verified data. Lacking any other reference point (which greater daily testing could provide), there is no logical basis for saying that Prof Nolan's figure of 'R'= or < 1 is anything more than wishful thinking.

I hope he's right but I'd prefer more than a guess as my guideline.
Think it's more likely to be a fairly educated guess rather than wishful thinking.
Nolan has a lot more data available to him than is publicly available.
His curves at the very least will be adjusted to reflect when tests were taken rather than when the results became available. The "when" could be further adjusted to take account of when symptoms were first noticed/reported.
No doubt there may be other tinkering that can done to refine the data.
The R is very likely less than 1 but the actual value would fall within a range with a fair degree of room for error.
Also the pressure on the ICU etc is a supporting indicator.
The caveat is what is happening in the "nursing homes".
For example is it appropriate to start an easing of restrictions using figures that exclude the data associated with nursing homes.
The more specific caveat here, of course, is that resources that are being diverted to the nursing homes at present.
It is likely that, until those resources become available again, any easing will be symbolic rather than significant.
However it is important that some easing takes place.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote:Image
Mixed!
Jaysis, he’s actually inciting insurrection.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Do you disagree with that?
Yes I do, he has an option to use the defense production act to compel businesses to produce supplies for the country, his lobby advisors have advised him not to.
Now he is stealing from people like our friend kermischocolate in the NHS or our own friends in the HSE when they believe they have secured ppe. What is your f%~king problem with globalisation? In a global pandemic we need global honesty and a global support (I agree with you RE China's bullshit and agree with OSS RE your lack of sensitivity to the death toll) network. Ireland for example don't produce much in the way off ppe, but in companies like Roche (who expect to move to human trial in a number of days for a cv19 treatment ) we do produce the drugs. Should we pirate their output at the expense of others?
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ea86c ... pril-2020/

Padge 7 there has how they're approximating the R0.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
The WHO isn't local politics!
Poorly written, my point here is that he is attempting to mobilise a right wing media tool to focus on blame rather than the effort to protect people. And that is entirely in service of his reelection effort.
There will be plenty of time for blame after we get through this.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote: Think it's more likely to be a fairly educated guess rather than wishful thinking.
Nolan has a lot more data available to him than is publicly available.
His curves at the very least will be adjusted to reflect when tests were taken rather than when the results became available. The "when" could be further adjusted to take account of when symptoms were first noticed/reported.
No doubt there may be other tinkering that can done to refine the data.
The R is very likely less than 1 but the actual value would fall within a range with a fair degree of room for error.
Also the pressure on the ICU etc is a supporting indicator.
The caveat is what is happening in the "nursing homes".
For example is it appropriate to start an easing of restrictions using figures that exclude the data associated with nursing homes.
The more specific caveat here, of course, is that resources that are being diverted to the nursing homes at present.
It is likely that, until those resources become available again, any easing will be symbolic rather than significant.
However it is important that some easing takes place.
Eh? The indicators point to the Ro being closer to 4. The asymptomatic people being infected and not contributing to the data.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:[
Eh? The indicators point to the Ro being closer to 4. The asymptomatic people being infected and not contributing to the data.
Hope you are right.
We'll have herd immunity in no time.
So George Lee on RTE says that there were actually 20 deaths today and the 44 reported include 24 that may have died maybe ten days ago.
The Chinese must have sent our government a copy of their manual on how to count on one of the flights with all the PPE stuff.
To add to your point we may well have two Rs
One for the 20% approx who are cocooned < 1
The other for the 80% > 1
That would be great management of the situation.
Certainly they'll be different.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Surprise, surprise.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0418/11322 ... d-holohan/
You'd wonder why now?
You'd wonder when are we going to get a revised curve for daily cases.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg and OSS.
You're wasting your time.
You're barking up the wrong tree.
You both have chosen to intentionally misinterprete my post of RTE re Chinese death data.
Given that level of bias I suppose I should not be surprised at your tunnel vision on other issues.
US citizens are very likely quite happy that Trump blocked exports of PPE.
As you point out that hurts other countries health systems. But it's Trump's job to put American citizens first. He did his job.
We have the capacity to make at least some of our own PPE btw, it's not somebody else's job to look after us.
BTW I'm not an apologist for Trump despite obvious misconceptions to the contrary.
As I said his performance has been patchy to say the least however I'm not convinced that the alternatives would be doing any better.
You've only to look around the world to see how patchy the performance of other leaders has been.
Then you have the leaders who have performed very well.
Australia and New Zealand to name two.
As regards the WHO.
Trump is not the only one asking questions.
Politics is always local as someone pointed out.
He's not alone.
As for globalization, that's simply a ridiculous comment.
Laughable in fact.
I'm simply pragmatic about it.
It's a good thing but it has its' warts.
Unlike a lot who think PC is a good thing, I don't.
It impinges on freedom to speak and is often used to intimidate people into silence.
If there is something wrong then it needs to be fixed, not brushed under the carpet.
We've enough problems of our own without looking for trouble elsewhere.
Trump is Trump deal with him and stop slagging him off, it's counterproductive.
He's egotistical and can do harm and does.
We have a huge number of people working for US companies both here and in the US.
It's easy to piss Trump off, he can do a lot of damage to us but he won't be around for ever.
It's our job to ensure he does as little damage to us as possible.
If that's cold and callous then guilty as charged.
Worth remembering.
Trump has already passed a comment (in the last month) regarding the US Pharmaceutical output/capacity here in Ireland and that he'd like to see some of back in the US.
He's the one person who you'd put money on to do something about it.
That's what we've to deal with.
Jumping on the anti-Trump bandwagon is the soft, easy, lazy option.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ah OS, you're missing the point. Global issue needs global solutions. The WHO is the global entity tasked with preemptive measures and crisis management globally. It doesn't help to try to turn the narrative of blame when the problem is has yet to peak.
Regarding globalism right now, being pragmatic does not change the idealism of it being right. In the most part I agree with what you're saying and it is likely to be what will happen, but it's not the right thing to do to save lives.
Not sure what you're talking about PC commentary for, say what you like, whenever you like, but if you put it out there prepare for others to do the same from their pov.
Daniel Sullivan