for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:No, it is not reasonable to make any assumption beyond what has been published.

So...
I have answered all of your questions, can you please tell us what discrimination you have experienced as a white man?
Your wrong, It's absolutely necessary to make assumptions and then test them.
Not for the first time you won't answer the question.
As for your question to me.
What discrimination are you referring to?
This is the COVID thread perhaps you'd post it elsewhere because COVID is far too important an issue to be sidetracked.
You said blah blah blah discrimination against white people, now I’d like to know what discrimination you have experienced as a white man
I'm sure you would and so because you're such a nice fellow I'm going to keep you in suspense.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I know the reason, you never have. You’re just (maybe unwittingly) spouting alt-right talking points with nothing to back it up.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:I know the reason, you never have. You’re just (maybe unwittingly) spouting alt-right talking points with nothing to back it up.
Why are you bothering? Absolutely nothing you say is being considered. There is an ignore function for a reason.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The COVID19 pandemic is hammering our economy.
Current policy is not sustainable.
The money is going to run out and everyone is going to be effected.
So before that happens everything that can be done to get businesses back in action should be done.
The CMO and his team need to change tack and do the government.
As an example the current situation regarding pubs opening could best be described as -
In the distant future when perhaps pubs are open, just as I wouldn’t go into a dirty restaurant now I am not going to go into a crowded pub in the future.
It's likely that most people would at least like the option of being able to go into a pub be it crowded or otherwise.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Money is a human construct, covid-19 isn't
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jackie Brown wrote:Money is a human construct, covid-19 isn't
So knowing that, what is your take on the next steps in dealing with COVID should be.
McConkey and Moynagh were discussing this on Prime Time during the week.
Moynagh was arguing that maybe we don't need all the restrictions that are in place to keep COVID under control.
Evidence, as he put, is that about three things are needed, social distancing, an all Ireland approach and testing/tracing..
McConkey said that they are concentrating on deaths because it's the only hard evidence.
Moynagh was strongly suggesting that the approach on restrictions needs to be changed.
McConkey was saying we need to wait until the 18May so that we can see how Denmark et Al are doing.
He also referred in passing to the need to wear masks.
It looks like the UK government are giving different regions some autonomy on their exit strategies so maybe there's some hope for getting an All Ireland approach.
Last edited by Oldschool on May 10th, 2020, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:I know the reason, you never have. You’re just (maybe unwittingly) spouting alt-right talking points with nothing to back it up.
Why are you bothering? Absolutely nothing you say is being considered. There is an ignore function for a reason.
Great advice for OSS although personally It's not something I believe in doing so you're probably right I don't listen to you enough.
What's your expertise in exactly, maybe I'm missing something?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Logorrhea wrote:
thanks, couldn't get it to work from Mobile, went in and tried on the laptop it's working now.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52604676

infection rates rising in Germany after restrictions are lifted
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
thanks, couldn't get it to work from Mobile, went in and tried on the laptop it's working now.
I'm going to miss you mate. :wink:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

:happy clapper:

Best case scenario: every country decides to go down the quantitative easing route at the same time and use a type of trading curb on the currency value to "forget" the impact on currency values.
Likely scenario, countries continue to buy bonds with whatever type of interest rates are applicable based on their S&P et al rating.

Looking at how the haves of the money world operate with regards to their preference for profit over humanity (Citibank-Haiti, United Fruit/Chiquita- Guatemala, Big Oil- Middle east US involvment, Vickers-WW1), I think the latter will likely happen and we'll be repaying for years to come.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Evidence suggesting COVID was in UK before Christmas.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52589449
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
:happy clapper:

Best case scenario: every country decides to go down the quantitative easing route at the same time and use a type of trading curb on the currency value to "forget" the impact on currency values.
Likely scenario, countries continue to buy bonds with whatever type of interest rates are applicable based on their S&P et al rating.

Looking at how the haves of the money world operate with regards to their preference for profit over humanity (Citibank-Haiti, United Fruit/Chiquita- Guatemala, Big Oil- Middle east US involvment, Vickers-WW1), I think the latter will likely happen and we'll be repaying for years to come.
Would this have worked in the last crash.
Could it work now.
Instead of giving the money to the banks, give the money to the person who has the mortgage, they pay off the mortgage (in part or full depending on ... Restrictions or criteria) and the bank gets the money but obviously looses the asset. Main impact would have been a lot fewer defaults.
But would it be a zero sum equation.
If it worked and I'm not sure it could, how could it be applied to small businesses in trouble.
It's not fair but who's to say that everyone wouldn't be better off.
Realise above could be a load of nonsense but if you are printing money is it simply then a case of making sure that the rich don't get any richer.
Bear in mind it's highly likely that the banks are going to need another bailout of sorts.
Could two birds etc
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschool wrote: It looks like the UK government are giving different regions some autonomy on their exit strategies so maybe there's some hope for getting an All Ireland approach.
Emmm - not quite. Health has been a devolved function for years. What Johnson announced wasn't cleared with the other three countries. So it's not the UK government "giving autonomy" - they already have it. But what did happen was that he announced unilaterally and then the three other governments announced that he didn't speak for them and they weren't changing current advice

But agree that NI is likely to try to stay closely aligned to us rather than England
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

To give you some idea of how unhinged Johnson is. This is an actual slide he presented.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

domhnallj wrote:Image

To give you some idea of how unhinged Johnson is. This is an actual slide he presented.
I saw this somewhere else. 3877 additional cases yesterday, according to the BBC [source: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274 ], so the UK's Covid alert level is somewhere between 3877.5 and 3877.9. Good system Boris. You f*cking idiot.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The latest edition of Private Eye contains as always a large dose of common sense from their medical correspondent, the well established MD.

He offers the following comments:

"The best two ways to avoid a Covid-19 death are:
a) not to catch it, or
b) be as healthy as possible.

Those with chronic diesases are most likely to die prematurly from any cause, including Covid-19, and yet 80% of chronic dieseases are preventable with a healthy diet, regular exercise, refreshing sleep and good mental health. We put off getting healthier for the future because coping with the stress of the present is tough enough. We deliver killer donuts to thank NHS staff. But what we put in our mouths is easily as deadly as what we breathe into our lungs. It just tastes better. Meanwhile South Korea boasts the healthiest diet, lowest rates of obesity and longest projected life expectancy in the world.

Anybody read the entire Slaintecare Report?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Slaintecare Report.
51 pages of political aspirations.
In other words how to waste the taxpayer's money.
How about sorting out the ongoing waste first.
Example - We spending a fortune to the private hospitals at the moment.
What are we getting for that money.
We were told that the public hospitals were going to be used to handle COVID and the private hospitals would look after the rest.
Larry Goodman must be laughing all the way to the bank and not for the first time on public largesse.
What is the point of trying to force Consultants to take the A Contract.
Sort out their insurance costs first by legislating for claim costs.
The politicians solutions is to publish Slaintecare and then hand it over to the DOH and HSE to implement it.
Does anyone believe that is going to work.
The failure to advise the general public to wear face masks is a disgrace, particularly at this point in time given
A. The HSE has cornered the market for medical standard masks and you couldn't get one even if you wanted to.
B. That restrictions are being eased and there is a likely to be a rise in cases, face masks would reduce the risk of transmission.
Are the HSE aware that, if the wearing of facemasks reduces the rate of transmission then the demand on the health system will be reduced also IE less cases, less deaths.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The latest edition of Private Eye contains as always a large dose of common sense from their medical correspondent, the well established MD.

He offers the following comments:

"The best two ways to avoid a Covid-19 death are:
a) not to catch it, or
b) be as healthy as possible.

Those with chronic diesases are most likely to die prematurly from any cause, including Covid-19, and yet 80% of chronic dieseases are preventable with a healthy diet, regular exercise, refreshing sleep and good mental health. We put off getting healthier for the future because coping with the stress of the present is tough enough. We deliver killer donuts to thank NHS staff. But what we put in our mouths is easily as deadly as what we breathe into our lungs. It just tastes better. Meanwhile South Korea boasts the healthiest diet, lowest rates of obesity and longest projected life expectancy in the world.

Anybody read the entire Slaintecare Report?
Met a mate of mine who is working in a step down ward, he said that obesity seems to be a massive risk factor, a lot bigger than I thought it was tbh.

He also said the recovery from long term intubation is horrific. Very, very sobering stuff