Remax leinster League

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

groundhog
Knowledgeable

Re: Remax leinster League

Post by groundhog »

I thought the Clondalkin v Clane game was a great advertisement for Division 2 both sides being fully committed and either side could have won it and in fact Clon had 2 difficult penalties deep into injury time to win it but both just went narrowily wide, one was a monster kick from their own 10 and it was a great effort and worthy of winning the match. It was played in a fair spirit, I think Clons failure to mix their game up cost them in the end but I can see Clon getting a result in Longford, no pressure on them now at all.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
hands away
Bookworm

Post by hands away »

totally agree with groundhog, was a great game of rugby. and league is bubbling nicely. clane have a strong pack, and their backline looked the more dangerous of the 2, and back 3 especially countered well and punished any loose kicks. their discipline at the end was excellant as clondalkin went through the phases looking for a chance to win it.

clondalkin will be hurting after this. they did seem to have a slight edge up front, theyve 2 huge 2nd rows causing alot of damage and their tight head carried alot of ball, but they seem very reluctant to go wide once the pack have made the yards, 2nd time i've seen them this year and thought the same the last time too.

the way i see it now;
longford (61) have it won, dont even need anything against clondalkin as they're 7 pts clear and have an easy win the last weekend. congrats to them :clap: have a winnable towns cup game too, so season is far from over.
Clondalkin (54), 2 wins gives them promotion, 1/2 and theyre waiting on ash to slip up or they're in the playoff, 0/2 wont be enough for the play off
Ashbourne (53), need 2 wins and clondalkin to drop points and they're up, 1/2 will get them the playoff.
Clane (49), a bit more straight forward, need 2 wins and one of the others to lose both. will lose head to heads.
Let the bears pay the bear tax!
The Galloping Ghost
Learner

Post by The Galloping Ghost »

In other news thought Cill Dara were unlucky to go down and certainly felt they were one of the better teams in 1A going by their games against Boyne but the damage was done in prior that first game against Boyne. Would expect them to bounce straight back up, a spell in a lower division did Dundalk the power of good a couple of seasons ago.
Not too sure about Cill Dara bouncing straight back up. It was an ageing team at the start of the season especially the pack, and i can't see too many of them giving their full commitment for next season, in fact i'd say a few will be happy playing seconds or pack it in altogether. They really need to look at recruiting players in and developing their youth section more because there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of youth coming through. I honestly don't know how they felt that they were one of the better teams in Div 1a given where they finished in the league. Granted they were a much improved side in the latter stages of the season but as you said yourself the damage was done earlier on in the campaign.
huggy bear
Beginner

Post by huggy bear »

Your right groundhog was a great game and I thought clondalkin
could have and should have won it. Clondalkin just didn't get the ball out to their backs because they have the talent out there , should have tested the clane backline more but they'll bounce back ,
And will beat Longford down there . The losing bonus point also helped.
Clon for automatic promotion place ,
CMON THE CLON
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

I think there is a fallacy that you need to be young to play rugby probably perptuated by clubs with youngs sides. Boyne won the league this year with a pack that was probably older than Cill Dara's do you think Cillian Duffy, Brendan Muldowney , Eoin Collins or even Craig McGrath or Niall Kerbey are spring chickens? Cill Dara played well against Boyne in both their games and probably should have won at least 1 of those games. The league table doesn't lie I'd admit but neither does it always tell the whole story, and it was their early season form that killed their chances they picked up 12 of their 17 points in the second half of the season. And for the record based on their games against Boyne I thought Newbrdige were the worst side in the division and one of the reasons they were so poor against us was becuase the were too inexperienced so where do you draw the line on youth and experience? Boyne were relegated at the turn of the century we bounced back, Dundalk and Coolmine likewise even Newbridge have done it - so Cill Dara should look at those examples and not the likes of Kilkenny or Ashbourne. It's a true test of the character of a club to learn and recover from adversity so I hope they do bounce back.

Now where is the AIL Division 3 thread :D
Theboss
Learner

Post by Theboss »

Not Releasing wrote:I think there is a fallacy that you need to be young to play rugby probably perptuated by clubs with youngs sides. Boyne won the league this year with a pack that was probably older than Cill Dara's do you think Cillian Duffy, Brendan Muldowney , Eoin Collins or even Craig McGrath or Niall Kerbey are spring chickens? Cill Dara played well against Boyne in both their games and probably should have won at least 1 of those games. The league table doesn't lie I'd admit but neither does it always tell the whole story, and it was their early season form that killed their chances they picked up 12 of their 17 points in the second half of the season. And for the record based on their games against Boyne I thought Newbrdige were the worst side in the division and one of the reasons they were so poor against us was becuase the were too inexperienced so where do you draw the line on youth and experience? Boyne were relegated at the turn of the century we bounced back, Dundalk and Coolmine likewise even Newbridge have done it - so Cill Dara should look at those examples and not the likes of Kilkenny or Ashbourne. It's a true test of the character of a club to learn and recover from adversity so I hope they do bounce back.

Now where is the AIL Division 3 thread :D
I think having a young team like Kilkenny or Ashbourne takes time to develop and will come good in the long run, however I don't think this is intentional, teams at this level will pick players to win games and the fact that boyne or cill dara select players that are older should have no bearing. It's how you bring up the youth through the system to give you that mix of experience that will keep teams flying high for longer. There is also a lot to be said about the strength of a 30+ year old forward opposed to a 18-19 year old. Older muscle tends to be stronger (at this level).
r e seeding
Learner

Post by r e seeding »

clon better go back to clane and see if they can find promotion where they left it
Theboss
Learner

Post by Theboss »

r e seeding wrote:clon better go back to clane and see if they can find promotion where they left it
Ouch! Don't think they're out yet but they have a hard road considering Longford want to Finish off the league when they play them, plus Kilkenny with no breaks for the past few weeks. I'm reminded of their match against Gorey last year. Have they blown it?
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

The Galloping Ghost wrote:
In other news thought Cill Dara were unlucky to go down and certainly felt they were one of the better teams in 1A going by their games against Boyne but the damage was done in prior that first game against Boyne. Would expect them to bounce straight back up, a spell in a lower division did Dundalk the power of good a couple of seasons ago.
Not too sure about Cill Dara bouncing straight back up. It was an ageing team at the start of the season especially the pack, and i can't see too many of them giving their full commitment for next season, in fact i'd say a few will be happy playing seconds or pack it in altogether. They really need to look at recruiting players in and developing their youth section more because there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of youth coming through. I honestly don't know how they felt that they were one of the better teams in Div 1a given where they finished in the league. Granted they were a much improved side in the latter stages of the season but as you said yourself the damage was done earlier on in the campaign.
Where does anyone from Cill Dara say they were one of the better teams in the league, the league table does not lie and over the season Dara were not good enough. Your point on players packing it in, we will only see in time but that is not what I'm hearing. As for your point on the Cill Dara youth system your comment is totally unfounded. Numbers in this section of the club have never being stronger.

Well done to Boyne on their promotion to the AIL, I'm sure they will be very competitive as have most the teams promoted from this division. Also well done to Coolmine and Newbridge who have bucked the recent trends and after promotion been very competitive in A.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

Theboss wrote:
r e seeding wrote:clon better go back to clane and see if they can find promotion where they left it
Ouch! Don't think they're out yet but they have a hard road considering Longford want to Finish off the league when they play them, plus Kilkenny with no breaks for the past few weeks. I'm reminded of their match against Gorey last year. Have they blown it?
Clon will get promoted, their losing BP against Clane has kept them in pole position, Ashbourne will not win their last 2 games so Clon really only need one win and will get it against Kilkenny on the last day, if not the week before when Longford will be under pressure to finish the job on their home patch.
r e seeding
Learner

Post by r e seeding »

so its a relaxed longford team with promotion in the bag against a must win clon team after droping points to clane and gorey and on the road ?
chrisboy
Beginner

Post by chrisboy »

r e seeding wrote:so its a relaxed longford team with promotion in the bag against a must win clon team after droping points to clane and gorey and on the road ?

Ash, Clon, Clane all in the same boat so.. Must win.. Clon will be looking to keep their excellent away form goin, only one loss all season..

What will really make it a classic final weekend is if Clane can get the bonus point win at home to Roscrea!! :lol: :lol:
Theboss
Learner

Post by Theboss »

chrisboy wrote:
r e seeding wrote:so its a relaxed longford team with promotion in the bag against a must win clon team after droping points to clane and gorey and on the road ?

Ash, Clon, Clane all in the same boat so.. Must win.. Clon will be looking to keep their excellent away form goin, only one loss all season..

What will really make it a classic final weekend is if Clane can get the bonus point win at home to Roscrea!! :lol: :lol:
Wont be surprised if Roscrea ruin Clanes hopes, wouldn't be the first time. Plus they can still go ahead of Gorey and Edenderry should those loose. So they have a lot to play for also. Roscrea beat Kilkenny in Kilkenny and Edenderry last time so seem to be pushing hard for wins.
hands away
Bookworm

Post by hands away »

Leinster League - Division 1B

27/03/2011
Garda vs Enniscorthy home win
Monkstown vs West Offaly Lions home win
Portarlington vs New Ross home win
Tullow vs Wicklow home win

West Offaly Lions vs Portlaoise away win

Leinster League - Division 2

26/03/2011
Kilkenny vs Gorey away win
27/03/2011
Clane vs Roscrea home win
Edenderry vs Ashbourne away win with bonus
Longford vs Clondalkin home win
Mullingar vs Wexford Wanderers home win
Theboss
Learner

Post by Theboss »

hands away wrote:Leinster League - Division 1B

27/03/2011
Monkstown vs West Offaly Lions home win

West Offaly Lions vs Portlaoise away win

26/03/2011
Kilkenny vs Gorey away win
27/03/2011
Clane vs Roscrea home win
Edenderry vs Ashbourne away win with bonus
Longford vs Clondalkin home win
Mullingar vs Wexford Wanderers home win
Not sure about Gorey? Think Clane / Roscrea might be a surprise also.
hands away
Bookworm

Post by hands away »

will be close alright, just think KK can't move any higher or lower so havent a huge amount to play for, and gorey are in a dogfight & their form this time of year speaks for itself. so thought they might nick it.

any of those first 4 games could actually go either way, teams are a different animal when desperation mode sets in and in a division like that where there isnt a huge difference in class between most sides, come the end of the year when the struggling teams get the focus the top sides have had all year, anything can happen!
white
Bookworm

Post by white »

An Ashbourne win itself would be a big result, to win with a bonus is ambitious to say the least. Both sides under huge pressure to win for different reasons. I think Edenderry will want it more.

Agree that Gorey could come away with the spoils in Kilkenney. Clane have to win, just like Roscrea, but I see home advantage being crucial here, and with the ground hardening up there could be plenty of tries to be had in all 5 games.

I think Clon will be the party poopers down in Longford, who will need to wait another week before sealing the title. Clon simply need to use their backs more and mix their gameplan up a little.
Theboss
Learner

Post by Theboss »

white wrote:An Ashbourne win itself would be a big result, to win with a bonus is ambitious to say the least. Both sides under huge pressure to win for different reasons. I think Edenderry will want it more.

Agree that Gorey could come away with the spoils in Kilkenney. Clane have to win, just like Roscrea, but I see home advantage being crucial here, and with the ground hardening up there could be plenty of tries to be had in all 5 games.

I think Clon will be the party poopers down in Longford, who will need to wait another week before sealing the title. Clon simply need to use their backs more and mix their gameplan up a little.
I think both teams will want it, Ashbourne need it to keep promotion alive. We shall just have to wait till Sunday to see who left it in the dressing room. Clondalkin are under that bit more pressure than Longford so it will be down to how they handle this, their record for these games would suggest Longford to take this in Longford, only one loss at home this season and their support will be more vocal than ever (and they are usually very vocal). This will be a game to go and see I think.
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

Leinster League - Division 1B

Monkstown vs West Offaly Lions home win with bonus

26/03/2011
Kilkenny vs Gorey - Gorey might shade this - Kilkenny only pride to play for
27/03/2011
Clane vs Roscrea home win with maybe bonus - firm pitches will suit Clane
Edenderry vs Ashbourne Home win - Edenderry will want it more
Longford vs Clondalkin home win - Longford took the wise step and rested players last weekend - nothing going to stop the champs
Mullingar vs Wexford Wanderers home win with bonus
huggy bear
Beginner

Post by huggy bear »

Clondalkin will put one over the so called champs they really want this match and if Ashbourne can do it so can clondalkin, they have a fit mobile pack and a very dangerous backline that will test Longford. They also rested players so will be well up for Longford