Havent had one of these for a while...

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

"And they go forth into a world that is not entirely composed of public-school men or even of Anglo-Saxons, but of men who are as various as the sands of the sea. ... They go forth into it with well-developed bodies, fairly developed minds, and undeveloped hearts."

E.M. Forster by way of a Mr. R. O'Carroll-Kelly. I assume all are familiar with both scribes and their respective bodies of worth.... But I digress.

School's rugby is a strange beast, but I think it's the only thing standing in the way of full-blown apprenticeships (as seen in soccerball 'cross th'pond). And while I don't want to see rugby stagnate, I think it could, in the future, go the way of gridiron: A country's past-time that is followed by millions but that is played by such a small group of men as to be verging on the ridiculous.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mustapha wrote:And while I don't want to see rugby stagnate, I think it could, in the future, go the way of gridiron: A country's past-time that is followed by millions but that is played by such a small group of men as to be verging on the ridiculous.
I felt the same when the game decided to go pro - it's something you hear the likes of Hook go on about a lot (though in fairness, he also made some very un-PC about the islanders having a genetic advantage over caucasians). However, I can't reconcile that with the current massive resurgence in the amateur game in this country - the metro and the leinster leagues completely booming, as is underage rugby.

BTW, good to see somebody who's read the first edition of ross, diary of a schools rugby player as opposed to that horrific re-print/edit they later released.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I feel the schools and clubs at various age levels should compete in the same competition. Those schools which are large enough to compete on their own terms can do so, those too small can feed into clubs.

The dropout rate at around 20 is prob as much to do with guys having a bit of freedom and going on the lash as being driven out of the game, but there's obviously a culture shock of moving from school to club that needs to be handled better.

Think it's no coincidence we're starting to see players come into the Leinster setup out of the club system. Foolish to focus your rectruiting attention on the schools players.
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

God almighty, that muck is a travesty! A disgrace to its antecedent. Alas, alack, etc. A rant for another day....

As for the schools question, I think if these hotbeds are taken away, the gap will be filled by full time rugby academies run by the branches, where aspiring pros get nominal schooling. Restructure what the schools aim for, sure. But we'd be fools to dispose of them.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.