Medicines and Supplements in Schools rugby

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

El Diablo
Mullet

Medicines and Supplements in Schools rugby

Post by El Diablo »

I heard a piece on Morning Ireland yesterday about the dangers of some of the medicines and supplements that kids are using in schools sports, rugby in particular. It sounded like they were making a link between some of these products and a risk of heart problems in later life.
Unfortunately I didn't hear the whole thing. Did anyone catch the detail? Was it in the paper?
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

That's been a topic of discussion for years now. Creatine was appearing when I was finishing school and there were a lot of schools using it but at the same time, many were nervous about using it.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
its about winning
Bookworm

Post by its about winning »

The problem is not with "creatine" or Whey protein shanks. The problem is some of the other products on sale in Health food stores are infact on the IOC banned substance list. These products are being bought by young schools and club players.
If the Irish sports council was to change its anti doping program to include schools and u/20s teams there could be one of the biggest scandels in irish sport.

The creatine debate is not really an issue. All long term studies on creatine are currently at 10-20 years. And as yet NO study has found it to have long term effects on organs (kidneys/Heart/Pancreas). It is a naturally produced substance in every person and the amount produced is highly differant per person. It is not a banned substance by the IOC/sports council/WADA. In some studies it is found that it has no training effect at all (in certain people)
The worry is the other substances.
North side living - south side educated
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

its about winning wrote: The creatine debate is not really an issue. All long term studies on creatine are currently at 10-20 years.
Bear in mind I left school at the beginning of the 90s. :wink:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
its about winning
Bookworm

Post by its about winning »

Leinsterman,
I am just going on research studies that have been done. You can get them in Journal of Sport Science/Journal of sports medicine etc. All available online if you want a good read.

It is a sad issue that needs to be looked at. If they are using food supplements now what will it lead to in the future????????
North side living - south side educated
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I heard the piece on Morning Ireland. They were on about young people (rugby players) using bodybuilding supplements. Now they weren't talking about creatine or plain protein. They were on about these nitrate supplements and other things of the like that help you put on muscle very quickly indeed. They were also taliking about products that boost testerosterone levels. Many of these products (I wouldn't even call the supplements) contain substances banned by the IOC and substances which are in fact classified as medicines.

One problem I had with the piece was that rugby players were being singled out. From my experience the only people I have seen taking rubbish like this are young bodybuilders in the gym I'm a member in. I don't think there is widespread use of such products within rugby schools. Players do use supplements like Maximuscle and USN proteins but I don't think they are taking the stuff I have mentioned earlier. I think that this was a piece of sensationalist journalism trying to point fingers at rugby schools.

I would like to emphasise that for active sportspeople there is no risk from taking protein. However, young rugby players shouldn't be taking any supplements and particularly creatine as it can cause hormonal problems for teenagers under the age of 18
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I've heard about this nitro stuff alright, it's getting a bit of use in rugby for sure - not sure about schools level, don't know what that's based on (other than scare mongering obviously)
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

This is the piece from Friday's Morning Ireland:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1019/medicine_av.html
The school's rugby player sounds like a stereo typical Ross O'Carroll Kelly type!

From http://www.rte.ie
Inquiry into sale of unlicensed supplements
Friday, 19 October 2007 15:41
The Irish Medicines Board is investigating shops selling body-building supplements that should be licensed as medicine.
This investigation is centred around products that claim to enhance training energy and strength.
These supplements are available over the counter and are being used by young people.
Cases are being built against shops selling supplements, which the Irish Medicines Board says should only be sold in pharmacies as medicines.
The board is looking at 500 possible breaks of medicinal product legislation ranging from weight loss products to body building supplements.

From the Irish Medicines Board website (http://www.imb.ie):
Notice Information: Human Medicines - Advisory - 19/10/2007
The IMB can confirm that it is carrying out a number of investigations in relation to the illegal sale of products that are suspected to breach the medicinal products legislation. Products either containing a medicinal substance or making a medicinal claim are considered to be medicinal products that fall within the remit of the IMB and therefore must be authorised prior to being placed in the Irish market. The IMB actively enforces against known breaches of the medicines legislation in this regard and can confirm that its enforcement unit has been successful in a number of prosecutions in this area and is actively investigating some 500 potential breaches of medicinal products legislation.

In addition, the Classification Committee of the IMB has reviewed and continues to review many borderline products that can be considered to fall into the category of ‘body-building products’ to determine whether they are medicinal products and takes appropriate action where necessary.

The IMB would reiterate its warning to consumers against purchasing medicinal products on-line as there is no guarantee that these products are of appropriate quality, are effective or that they contain what they purport to contain. The Irish Medicines Board cannot guarantee the quality, safety or effectiveness of any product that is supplied by an unauthorised source and strongly advises against anyone purchasing medicines in this manner.

The issue of internet sales is a global one and commands extensive resources from regulatory agencies worldwide. The IMB would like to reassure consumers that it will continue to monitor the marketplace for such illegal activity, in close collaboration with Gardaí and Customs, and will continue to take the appropriate legal action to prevent illegitimate supply of medicinal products in Ireland. The IMB was involved in the closure of 12 internet sites last year selling prescription-only medicines and it is continually monitoring new Irish registered sites as they come online.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Weber Shandwick
Siobhan Molloy /Eoin Quinn
Telephone: 01-6760168
Mobile: 086-8175066
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

yeah they had the IRFU doctor down in Michaels the other day to talk to players and parents about supplements
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

true blue 06 wrote:yeah they had the IRFU doctor down in Michaels the other day to talk to players and parents about supplements
Was he saying what was safe to take or telling them not to take anything?
A proud Winsome Fluter
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:yeah they had the IRFU doctor down in Michaels the other day to talk to players and parents about supplements
Was he saying what was safe to take or telling them not to take anything?
wasn't there but have spoken to others who were and the doc told them to stay away from eveything... this wont happen though
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

seniorcup08.googlepages.com

only promotes the taking of protein through a balanced diet on this site under nutrition
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009