CBC send out signal of intent to "Big 6" for Cup

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

ruggerbugger
Beginner

CBC send out signal of intent to "Big 6" for Cup

Post by ruggerbugger »

CBC beat St.Andrews in the Senior League Final at Seapoint on Friday night, 18-10. This is after easily handling there group overcoming Kings Hos, Newbridge, Kilkenny at home and Wesley, Templeouge and CUS away. They defeated Pres.Bray in the semis last week 31-12 and beat a very strong Andrews team on Friday. They did while missing a Leinster player and 2 more Leinster players were not fully fit after Monkstown had to deal with a huge injury list in November but key personnel are coming back to full fitness just in time for the Cup.

Monkstown, captained by backrow Shane Grannell, are an imensley strong unit. They have an all Leinster backrow - Grannell, Steve Boucher and Leinster 19s captain, Michael Noone. Centres, Killian Jenkinson and Gary Foley are Leinster players also with second row, Richard Ivers an U18 Leinster player. That is CBC's "Big 6". All of those players have been or still are injured but they will all be fit and fresh to win the double on March 16th.

Especially with the draw, they will fancy themselves.
Last edited by ruggerbugger on December 16th, 2007, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lampshade
Learner

Re: CBC send out signal of intent to "Big 6" for C

Post by Lampshade »

ruggerbugger wrote:CBC beat St.Andrews in the Senior League Final at Seapoint on Friday night, 18-10. This is after easily handling there group overcoming Kings Hos, Newbridge, Kilkenny at home and Wesley and CUS away. They defeated Pres.Bray in the semis last week 31-12 and beat a very strong Andrews team on Friday. They did while missing a Leinster player and 2 more Leinster players were not fully fit after Monkstown had to deal with a huge injury list in November but key personnel are coming back to full fitness just in time for the Cup.

Monkstown, captained by backrow Shane Grannell, are an imensley strong unit. They have an all Leinster backrow - Grannell, Steve Boucher and Leinster 19s captain, Michael Noone. Centres, Killian Jenkinson and Gary Foley are Leinster players also with second row, Richard Ivers an U18 Leinster player. That is CBC's "Big 6". All of those players have been or still are injured but they will all be fit and fresh to win the double on March 16th.

Especially with the draw, they will fancy themselves.

Top 6???? - I wasn't aware there was a top 6.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I don't blame you for talking up CBC's chances, it worked for Michaels... Eventually.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Duff Paddy wrote:I don't blame you for talking up CBC's chances, it worked for Michaels... Eventually.
Yes but that was Michael's first win, CBC have won the title before so they know they can do it.
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

icebaby wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I don't blame you for talking up CBC's chances, it worked for Michaels... Eventually.
Yes but that was Michael's first win, CBC have won the title before so they know they can do it.
Yeah they'll have a good few lads from that 1976 team playing on this year's S to instill that belief.
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

Still dont see CBC inflicting much damage in the SC this year. Good team, but still a long way from the Cup. If I heard more people that didnt either go to the school or are in the school talking about how good they are, then mabe that would be a clear sign of interest to the other teams!
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Bit of a stupid statement there eoinzero. Gavin Cummiskey in the IT called them the 'dark horses' of the cup while Tony Ward(coach in Gerrads who've played CBC) said they were a solid bet for the cup especially considering their draw. 6 Leinster players is an indication of their pedigree with their whole back row starters for Leinster. Anyone have the bookies odds for the cup, I reckon that would give an indication of their right to be considered serious contenders.

BUT Duff Paddy is right, no point in getting ahead of themselves as Michaels did so many times. They have lost this year with their many injuries. The 'big 6' and Knock can experiment players in order to peek at cup time, cos after all they don't play games of consequence till the cup itself! All the League teams start training for and playing these games sooner and as a consequence can peek to soon. Imo they are the best team on their side of the draw and along with Belvo are the two best teams. Come cup time though that means nothing, injuries and nerves can get at you ect.

They are a serious threat though and I doubt the 'big 6' will be brushing them off like yourself.
....Till I Die
Beginner

Post by ....Till I Die »

eoinzero wrote:Still dont see CBC inflicting much damage in the SC this year. Good team, but still a long way from the Cup. If I heard more people that didnt either go to the school or are in the school talking about how good they are, then mabe that would be a clear sign of interest to the other teams!
I agree, it's only people who go to school there are saying that they are good.
....Till I Die
Beginner

Post by ....Till I Die »

It's not really a signal fire because the League is a micky mouse competition that is nothing like playing cup rugby.
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Last edited by bunty85 on May 3rd, 2023, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lampshade
Learner

Post by Lampshade »

bunty85 wrote:Ye cause Tony Ward and Gavin Cummiskey went to CBC :wink: ...think before you post till i die.

The league actually quite competitive competion and usuall draws the best team in the comp as the winner. The competition was supposed to help develop middle schools to win the cup more often. But how many league teams have won the cup since its inception. Zero, 2 finalists and a few semi finalists but nothing more, in fact before the mid 90s you had the likes of Pres, CBC and Dls win senior or junior cups in the 70s and 80s. It is my opinion that the league benefits the schools who dont compete in it. Every game for league team matters from Sept whilst the others can rest and experiment. Some form of league between all current league teams and the 'big 6' plus Castleknock should mini groups before Chrismas to decide on knockout stages for the cup, while the rest drop to the Vinny Murray.
By far and away the best team/school in that league in the last 20 years is Newbridge. Don't know how many they've won if any but just look at the calibre of player they have turned out. That is the most telling sign of a rugby school in my opinion anyway. And there is many more where they came from if I remember correctly.