Under12 in D4

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Babydoll
Beginner

Under12 in D4

Post by Babydoll »

Hi

My 11 year old wants to play rugby, how do I go about getting him started?
Do I ring my local club? (im based in D4)

Thanks in Advance
B
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: Under12 in D4

Post by Slipper1 »

Babydoll wrote:Hi

My 11 year old wants to play rugby, how do I go about getting him started?
Do I ring my local club? (im based in D4)

Thanks in Advance
B
Bring him / her to Old Belvedere on Anglesea Rd on any Sunday at about 11am and you can speak to any of the parents about joining the Mini Rugby / youth section. They have about 200 boys & girls playing there every weekend.

alternatively contact the club directly at http://www.oldbelvedere.ie or 01 - 6603378
Get in the f%~king bag.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

You can check out local clubs here http://domestic.leinsterrugby.ie/index. ... 1&docID=-1

I know you can bring him down to Blackrock...down in stradbrook, not the school. They would play on a sunday morning. Ditto Belvo, bective, Wesley on a sunday morning.

Best to ring which ever club before hand to confirm arrangements though
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Most, if not all, of the Dublin clubs have mini-sections on a Sunday morning. Do his friends play? If so, find out where and go there. If not, try the club nearest to you. My own son went to Old Belvedere and enjoyed it immensly,
A proud Winsome Fluter
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

In choosing a club You have to think carefully, even at this age. Consider the following. IF.. you are sending your son to a rugby playing secondary school then just choose the nearest with a good set up for minis (up to 12s), I'd suggest Old Belvo. if you are not then consider very carefully the following.
1. There are no transfers allowed from club to club in age grade rugby, therefore where he goes, he stays.
2. Not all clubs near you compete at youths, i.e. from U13s up. Blackrock definitely do not, Bective do a little at some ages, Old Wesley definitely do not, Lansdowne do a little at some ages, Seapoint compete a fair bit at youths, St. Brigid's (in Cornelscort) have some teams at youths, St. Marys do not.
Other options might be Guinness RFC in Crumlin who have lots of yourh rugby or Greystones RFC who have a massive youth set-up.
The only club who consistently compete at all ages in youth rugby in the greater Dublin Area are Brnhall RFC but that would seem too far out. Apart from them, Suttonians, Clontarf, De la Salle Palmersotn & Malahide all have some degree of youths.
S bottom line is, if you live in Dublin 4, and you have a son who wants to play serious rugby, send him to a rugby school OR travel.