The Truth about Schools Ruby

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

gameon

The Truth about Schools Ruby

Post by gameon »

I'm looking to write a piece on schools rugby from the players and fans perspective and looking to talk those involved in the game or who have previously been involved in the game. I want to know what it's really like and what really goes on in the dressing room and the stands. All stories treated in complete confidentiality. Go on, give us all an insight into the schools rugby world. Contact me on schoolsrugby at gmail dot com.
roadkill
Beginner

Re: The Truth about Schools Ruby

Post by roadkill »

It uncovers some real gems!
And meanwhile we're furiously sleeping green,
And the map has started tearing along it's creases due to overuse,
When in reality, it's never needed folds.
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

There'll be some pearls of wisdom....
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

So who are you, what is your agenda and where will the piece feature?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

I know people can make mistakes but surely a journalist can spell "rugby", particularly if they are going to write an article on it.
Here's an insight in a nutshell.
1)the players train their hearts out, no matter what level they are playing at.
2)the coaches work their ars3s off, no matter what level of team they coach.
3)for the mast majority it is treated like any school sport should be, with enjoyment
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

-It can be the most rewarding/dissapointing moment of your life. For all the work you put in, it can go down to just one game.
-When your in school and not on a cup team its one of the highlights of the year, bit of spirit in your school. Depends of course where you go as to what degree, in Rock its like a religous festival and theres chanting sessions, videos and all made before the Cup. Theres a few videos on youtube if your interested just type in a schools name.
-As bent as it sounds, if you like rugby it can leave a connection between you and the school when you leave rather than hating the place as some of my friends in college hate theirs.
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

I'm pretty sure Rudyard played S... Maybe only seconds, he seems a bit too handy with the auld word things to have started.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Mustapha wrote:I'm pretty sure Rudyard played S... Maybe only seconds, he seems a bit too handy with the auld word things to have started.
Quality :happy clapper:
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

I never made our J squad, made the S, starting, in 5th year. Dad put a copy of 'If' in my left boot. Read it in the dressing room before we walked onto D'brook.

It's what the hairs on our neck were made for.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Think Dylan lined out a few times for the s in his day too

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15377
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

bunty85 wrote:-When your in school and not on a cup team its one of the highlights of the year, bit of spirit in your school. Depends of course where you go as to what degree
Ye, because if you're in CBC, your man running the place didnt even know there was any f%~king cup matches on!!!!!!! All I can say is that I'm so happy my kids will be going there when he is long gone!!!
kerpal
Beginner

Post by kerpal »

The Senior Cup is unique, never ever ever ever will u want something so much and never ever will you feel so bad if you dont get it.
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

ruggerbugger wrote:
bunty85 wrote:-When your in school and not on a cup team its one of the highlights of the year, bit of spirit in your school. Depends of course where you go as to what degree
Ye, because if you're in CBC, your man running the place didnt even know there was any f%~king cup matches on!!!!!!! All I can say is that I'm so happy my kids will be going there when he is long gone!!!
Ye the whole school chanting on the stairs in defiance of the man in the office was always a highlight to the school year, don't tell me that has died?
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

bunty85 wrote: Ye the whole school chanting on the stairs in defiance of the man in the office was always a highlight to the school year, don't tell me that has died?

:shock: That never happened when I was there!!!!!
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

bunty85 wrote:
ruggerbugger wrote:
Ye the whole school chanting on the stairs in defiance of the man in the office was always a highlight to the school year, don't tell me that has died?
I dont know how long ago you left but yes, it looks like it has died. There havent really been any proper chants on the stairs since probably when I was in 3rd year - 3 years ago. But, we tried to get chants going before the Columbas game but all the teachers are on the stairs and monitoring the corridors forcing people outside!!! It hasnt happened in so long that the junior cycle probably dont even know what it is about. Eventually, about 60 of us started chants and we ended up in the 6th year common room - stupid idea because we locked the door and didnt open it for 15-20 minutes and then we got in loads of sh!t. Monty came in to get the SCT while Principal pr!*k took our names and told us we werent going to the match. Instead, we had a detention that day. I was thinking to myself thats very convenient for him - he doesnt have to go to the match then. So all in all there were 53 of us in detention - 4th, 5th and 6th years. I was a cheerleader and most of the other cheerleaders were there also.

So, he gave us a sheet of paper to write on, basically to say sorry. I wrote that there is no school spirit because we dont have any chants. We should have chants in the hall like Rock do (which eventually happened for the Michaels and Marys games).

But yeah, rumours are that Fay might take the reigns in September. I say give it to Ferguson because he went to CBC, is young, passionate, a good public speaker and our rugby will be a lot better with him pumping money into it.

Well, thats my rant. Been in Monkstown 14 years now and the students and most of the teachers are brilliant but its a pity about the administration.
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Oh dear banned from the match, must have been sickener can't believe he got away with it....but nice work anyway your year tried to keep a few things going. You guys had a good year :clap:

For the OP here's a couple of vids of how Rock boys in action pre cup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk9jVsOYP9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6OnZ9jBrY

And just saw this Belvo taking over O'Connell bridge on Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySL4wcSySQ

Scary how much effort goes in...
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y5BE35VaBjo

after michaels won it last year back at the school

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PpZuxgdEqDE&feature=related

highlights of the final

worth a watch, you really see how much it means to them
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008