The Word From Trev

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

The Word From Trev

Post by Sea_point »

In the spirit of the build up, thought you'd all like to see this...

The great man has spoken, and Trev's not one be less than honest....
It's hard to say what went wrong on the day, or put your finger on why we played so badly. We did a two hour video analysis of the game on Monday and the general conclusion was that everyone felt they had played poorly. Collectively it was just a bad performance.

It started with our line-out, which just didn't function like we had planned. After a blistering start, we have put in a few bad performances this season, losing to the likes of Bayonne, Narbonne and Brive when we weren't expected to lose. But of all the bad performances, this one topped the lot.

In fairness to Leinster, they didn't let us play a lot of the time and they capitalised on our mistakes, turning missed tackles, mistakes or turnovers into tries. It was a case of us having a bad day and Leinster having an unbelievably brilliant day from one to XV.

I suppose it had to end some day too. Three years, three European Cup finals, and two winners medals. But I never thought it would end this way, in Toulouse and in front of our own crowd. Leinster and their supporters made a big effort. Bank of Scotland were distributing flags and t-shirts outside the bar and all over the place the night before the game, and they had the colour and the badhrans.

In my days at Leinster there was never support like this. When I was warming up I looked up into our support and I noticed a banner saying Welcome to Toulouse Trevor's Friends, with a shamrock at either end of it, which I thought was a classy touch.

And Leinster put in a fantastic performance. Felipe Contepomi played like a real general and I had warned the lads beforehand that they play an awful lot off him. We had a particular gameplan but we just didn't stick to it.

But no-one, absolutely no-one in Toulouse can complain about the result. On the day we were beaten by a better team, no two ways about it. But of all the teams to lose to, I have to say losing to your old team is a killer, even if some of my best mates in rugby were the cause of it.

Denis Hickie showed he still has all his old pace and finishing ability, and Shane Horgan still has his strength and finishing ability. He never seems to have a bad game. Freddie Michalak's pass to Cameron Howitt gave them one of their tries but it was great pressure by Keith Gleeson, who was everywhere. He was outstanding. He may not have been in the Irish team for the last couple of years but on that evidence there's still a lot left in that fella.

I do wish Leinster and Munster well and I hope one of the Irish teams goes on and wins it. I'd have to say, and I know they'll hate me for saying it, but I do make Leinster slight favourites if they can match Munster at all up front, because of that edge in their backline. The Munster backs could struggle to contain them.

The Leinster pack may not be as highly rated but I think they're better than they're given credit for. Brian Blaney put in a big performance, Reggie Corrigan has huge experience and Will Green is playing out of his skin for Leinster. Munster might be seen as having an advantage in the secondrow where Paul O'Connell is a superb player but on his day Malcolm O'Kelly can be the equal of anybody.

The backrow? I don't see why Munster should be so much better. That Cameron Jowitt fella is a handy bit of stuff, Gleeson is playing as well as ever and Jamie Heaslip will play for Ireland, very soon I'd say.

Leinster have always had the talent but Michael Cheika has instilled a bit of belief that hasn't been there before. Coming to France and scoring four tries and 41 points in Toulouse is some achievement, because in my four years here we've never lost in Le Stadium.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

The man speaks sense.

Our forwards have been the butt of many Munster jokes of recent years, but I feel our forwards (especiallly our back-row) are the best we have had in a while, for the game we are playing.

Will Green is one of the players of the year
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

TrueBlue wrote:The man speaks sense.

Our forwards have been the butt of many Munster jokes of recent years, but I feel our forwards (especiallly our back-row) are the best we have had in a while, for the game we are playing.

definitely, but can anyone tell me why Leinster are only slight favorites?
We won just twice
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

scotscor wrote:
TrueBlue wrote:The man speaks sense.

definitely, but can anyone tell me why Leinster are only slight favorites?
It's a derby mate.....
Leclerc
Learner

Post by Leclerc »

Now there is a true Ligind . One player I would love to see wearing a Munster Jersey. Saw him play for Munster against Leinster few years ago in Dooradoyle few hundred at the match how times have changed. he was a one man wrecking machine. Met him in a pub that night and he was a very nice genuine bloke. My favourite sporting quote comes from him. After Toulose won the HC in landsdowne road. Ryle asked him had he anything to say. The great man looked into the camera and said "Thanks you very much Matt Williams". Big mistake letting him go if Leinster still had him ye would be hot favourites.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Leclerc wrote:Now there is a true Ligind . One player I would love to see wearing a Munster Jersey. Saw him play for Munster against Leinster few years ago in Dooradoyle few hundred at the match how times have changed. he was a one man wrecking machine. Met him in a pub that night and he was a very nice genuine bloke. My favourite sporting quote comes from him. After Toulose won the HC in landsdowne road. Ryle asked him had he anything to say. The great man looked into the camera and said "Thanks you very much Matt Williams". Big mistake letting him go if Leinster still had him ye would be hot favourites.
Brennan is cr@p
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

epaddy wrote:
Leclerc wrote:Now there is a true Ligind . One player I would love to see wearing a Munster Jersey. Saw him play for Munster against Leinster few years ago in Dooradoyle few hundred at the match how times have changed. he was a one man wrecking machine. Met him in a pub that night and he was a very nice genuine bloke. My favourite sporting quote comes from him. After Toulose won the HC in landsdowne road. Ryle asked him had he anything to say. The great man looked into the camera and said "Thanks you very much Matt Williams". Big mistake letting him go if Leinster still had him ye would be hot favourites.
Brennan is cr@p
cr@p-harsh!

he wouldnt get within an asses roar of the team at the moment though. Saw a french interview with him the other day...he was asked would he play for Ireland or Toulouse?

he said that if there was a match the same day, he would play for Toulouse!

He's not good enough for Leinster or Ireland.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Agree TB, cr&p is a bit harsh, but he was nowhere against us in Stade Municipal. And that's his problem - big occasions get to him. He's not missed.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

And he still has one hell of a chip on his shoulder!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Doesn't he?

His column in the IT is usually laced with pro-Munster stuff and if Leinster ever get a mention it's a back-handed compliment...

Build a fockin' Bridge Trev..... and GET OVER IT
rekolb
Bookworm

Post by rekolb »

jezzer wrote:Doesn't he?

His column in the IT is usually laced with pro-Munster stuff and if Leinster ever get a mention it's a back-handed compliment...

that sort of comment is typical of the people who frequent this site, your views are in a very small minority. I would guess that the vast majority of leinster fans would recognise that Trev, whilst occasionally lacking in skills , never gave less than his all. To insult him in that manner is entirely unnecessary. Which brings me to another point, it seems to me that the self appointed 'ultras' in the lsc take great pride in insulting the main body of Leinster supporters Is it perhaps because now we have the same 'band- wagon' that was the source of so much abuse when it developed in Munster, I'm proud of the fact that Elvery's are having trouble keeping the Leinster jersey in stock. This newly generated interest in Leinster can, surely. only be positive.

Grow-up!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Trevor was a true hero when he played for Leinster. He was our first cult hero, the first guy who could get the crowd involved in the game. To slag him off like ye have is dreadful. He may not have been the best player ever to have worn the blue of Leinster or the green of Ireland, but he was one of gutsiest and bravest. He may be approaching the end of his career now but fair play to him for succeeding over in Toulouse & winning 2 H Cup medals.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

rekolb wrote:

that sort of comment is typical of the people who frequent this site, your views are in a very small minority. I would guess that the vast majority of leinster fans would recognise that Trev, whilst occasionally lacking in skills , never gave less than his all. To insult him in that manner is entirely unnecessary. Which brings me to another point, it seems to me that the self appointed 'ultras' in the lsc take great pride in insulting the main body of Leinster supporters Is it perhaps because now we have the same 'band- wagon' that was the source of so much abuse when it developed in Munster, I'm proud of the fact that Elvery's are having trouble keeping the Leinster jersey in stock. This newly generated interest in Leinster can, surely. only be positive.

Grow-up!
I disagree completely Rekolb.

1. You can take it from me that the guy has one hell of a chip on his shoulder against both Leinster & Ireland. It may be well founded, but its been 4 years and he has to get over it!

2. Everyone here wants to see as many new faces as possible jump on the Bandwagon as you say, and support Leinster not just this weekend, but next weekend, and next month, and next season and and and...........
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

rekolb wrote:

Grow-up!
Where did I say Trev didn't give his all for Leinster?
Where did i insult him?
Where did I insult other Leinster fans?
Where did I mention a Bandwagon?
Where did I appoint myself as an "ultra"?

Don't tell me to grow up mate. If you don't agree with me, have the decency to do it with something I actually said.
rekolb
Bookworm

Post by rekolb »

'build a fockin bridge and get over it' pretty sure that's an insult!...Mate..

The remaining comments were a general rant...
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Trev would probably admit he's still unhappy at the way things went down for him for Leinster and Ireland. I sympathise with the guy, or at least i did for the first couple of years, but the guys done enough in Toulouse jersey to be proud of his achievements and not keep harking back to past injustices. That's my opinion. Not sure if you'd call it an insult, but feel free to disagree with it.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

rekolb wrote:'build a fockin bridge and get over it' pretty sure that's an insult!...Mate..

The remaining comments were a general rant...
No one is doubting that he was a valued servant an inspirational, devoted and excellent player for Ireland, Leinster, St. Marys or Barnhall.

The bottom line remains though, he's a fiery character and he has a chip on his shoulder, and has no problem saying so. You can't dispute that.

Now for a fair and valid question. Why do YOU have a chip on your shoulder against the "Ultras", "LSC" and "Posters on this site"?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
rekolb
Bookworm

Post by rekolb »

harryp wrote:
rekolb wrote:'build a fockin bridge and get over it' pretty sure that's an insult!...Mate..

Now for a fair and valid question. Why do YOU have a chip on your shoulder against the "Ultras", "LSC" and "Posters on this site"?
I'm not sure I have a chip on my shoulder - just an opinion, no personal insults intended. I believe my opinions are at least worthy of discussion. This trend is not new phenomenon, most soccers teams, for example, have 'hard-core' fans who bemoan the fact that, due to success, supporting a club has become more mainstream. In this way they believe their sense of identity is being threatened...bit deep for a Friday I suppose...
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

rekolb wrote:
harryp wrote:

I'm not sure I have a chip on my shoulder - just an opinion, no personal insults intended. I believe my opinions are at least worthy of discussion. This trend is not new phenomenon, most soccers teams, for example, have 'hard-core' fans who bemoan the fact that, due to success, supporting a club has become more mainstream. In this way they believe their sense of identity is being threatened...bit deep for a Friday I suppose...
Sorry, I suppose we're all a bit on edge! I just hope that this shall be the turning point in Leinster Supporters and in th future we will be able to match Ulster and Munster week in week out on the terraces!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

rekolb wrote:
harryp wrote:

rekolb,

i think you've caused a reaction because most of the people on this site would genuinely feel you are wide of the mark with your comments. Most of us who post on this site can't wait to see the day when all our games are bursting at the scenes with fans, newcomers or old stagers. People who come on this site and talk about bandwagons in Leinster usually come up against a fair bit of criticism. Everyone had a first game after all....

if there wasn't a bit of banter, controversy or winding up, it's be a boring place to visit, but noone's excluded to my knowledge (for God's sake we even let Sewa and Bitter post...)