Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Is this worthy of a new thread? Our old mate Trev looks to have got himself into a bit of bother with the Gringos.
An ugly game in Toulouse for Ulster

Ulster lost their final Heineken Cup pool match at Toulouse in a match which was overshadowed by ugly incidents on and off the pitch.

Ulster played well in the first half, going in at half-time 13-10 down but with a lot to play for in the 2nd, having shown grit and determination with the ball. matt mc Cullough scored Ulster try with a drive over the line by the forwards, ably converted by Paddy Wallace.

At the beginning of the 2nd half, an incident occurred between Trevor Brennan while he warmed up, and the ulster fans, with Brennan alledgedly storming into the crowd and punching an Ulster fan who alledgedly spoke to him. Brennan also had water thrown over him, before he went back to the bench. Gareth Thomas also get himself involved and tried to get into the crowd, a disgraceful display by two professional sportsmen who should know better. A Toulouse official and the security guards helped to sperate the player and pull him away

brennan punch
Trevor Brennan punching an Ulster fan - courtesy of BBC online

Later, Trevor Brennan and Justin Harrison were shown yellow cards for fighting again instigated by Brennan. This continued after both were shown the card as they walked back towards the touchline.

brennan harrison
Brennan and Harrison - courtesy of BBC online

The incident caused more tension in the game, and Ulster seemed to lose out, not competing as fully a s they had in the first half. On the backfoot, Toulouse came at them and scored 2 more trys before full-time, with the final touchdown from Yannick Nyanga.

Toulouse: Poitrenaud; Clerc, Jauzion, Fritz, Heymans; Du Toit, Elissalde; Human, Bru (capt), Poux, Millo-Chlusky, Albacete, Nyanga, Dusatoir, Lamboley.
Replacements: Servat, Hasan, Brennan, Bouilhou, Courrent, Medard, G Thomas.

Ulster: Bartholomeusz; Bowe, Trimble, Steinmetz, McKenzie; Wallace, Campbell; Young, R Best, S Best (capt); Harrison, McCullough, N Best, Dawson, Wilson.
Replacements: Shields, Fitzpatrick, Barker, Ferris, Boss, Larkin, Maggs.

Referee: Tony Spreadbury (Bristol)
Yellow Cards: T Brennan, J Harrison

Mark McCall had this to say:

"The match changed in one moment, when Trevor Brennan punches Justin Harrison. We are very lucky Justin has not something seriously wrong with him," said McCall.

"Justin Harrison, like any human being would, reacts slightly, but does not do anything.

"It was a definite straight red for Brennan but the referee copped out, giving him a yellow card and giving Justin a yellow card at the same time.

"The game was 13-all at that time. In my view we lost the game in that moment.

"It is a shame because it took away our focus, but we also lost a player who did not deserve to go off the pitch.

"We will be lodging a complaint against Trevor Brennan for what he did to our player.

"As for the rugby, there was so much to be positive about because in the first half we were probably as good as we have been all year.

"If we had been more clinical we would have been 15-20 points up."
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

wow.
Am considering giving myself a sexy Cedric Heymans pirate scar.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Good to see David Holwell still flying with the Blues on top of the Super 14. Scored a try yesterday against the Lions.
Any other ex-leinster player ever played in the super 12/14?
Ryan_89
Knowledgeable

Post by Ryan_89 »

Good to see Simon Keogh score for Harlequins yesterday. He could be a decent signing for us (as a stop-gap measure) for next season seeing that many of our non-international backs are leaving.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Rashers O'Riordan out for the season with a dislocated shoulder
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

El Diablo wrote:Good to see David Holwell still flying with the Blues on top of the Super 14. Scored a try yesterday against the Lions.

Holwell really was excellent in that game. Just as good as he always was for us. If only we could have kept him. Of course, it'd be tricky to fit him and the godlike presence of Felipe into the same team, but I'm sure we'd struggle through somehow.

I know we've had a few ex-S14 players, but I honestly can't think of any of ours that went back there. Did Spooner play S12 in South Africa after he left? I know he was there for a while, but maybe he was just playing Currie Cup.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Ryan_89 wrote:Good to see Simon Keogh score for Harlequins yesterday. He could be a decent signing for us (as a stop-gap measure) for next season seeing that many of our non-international backs are leaving.
Can everyone please stop saying that they're going to have Simon Keogh next year? :evil:

He's not going anywhere :D
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oscar wrote:
El Diablo wrote:Good to see David Holwell still flying with the Blues on top of the Super 14. Scored a try yesterday against the Lions.

Holwell really was excellent in that game. Just as good as he always was for us. If only we could have kept him. Of course, it'd be tricky to fit him and the godlike presence of Felipe into the same team, but I'm sure we'd struggle through somehow.

I know we've had a few ex-S14 players, but I honestly can't think of any of ours that went back there. Did Spooner play S12 in South Africa after he left? I know he was there for a while, but maybe he was just playing Currie Cup.
Think he'd have got plenty of game time - Felipe's a better center in my view and of course he was out injured when everybody but Will green assumed the kicking duties.

David Holwell is a fockin Leinster legend in my view, the only guy to emmerge from Kidney's last season with honour.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Think he'd have got plenty of game time - Felipe's a better center in my view and of course he was out injured when everybody but Will green assumed the kicking duties.

David Holwell is a fockin Leinster legend in my view, the only guy to emmerge from Kidney's last season with honour.
Kidney's only season.

Worth pointing out that Leinster's best player in the season we were coached by Kidney was the outhalf who is essentially an O'Gara clone, only with better tackling and an ability to break.
El Diablo
Mullet

Vermass

Post by El Diablo »

Good to see Harry Vermass found gainful employment back home in SA. He came on as sub hooker in the Currie Cup on Sky earlier.
Let's hope our latest South African front row import, Le Roux has a bit more sucess than Vermass.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Vermass

Post by Darce »

El Diablo wrote:Good to see Harry Vermass found gainful employment back home in SA. He came on as sub hooker in the Currie Cup on Sky earlier.
Let's hope our latest South African front row import, Le Roux has a bit more sucess than Vermass.
yep turning out for Boland
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

See Johne Murphy is starting for Leicester at Fullback against Bath this weekend. Interesting development from the point of view of him being a candidate for Hickie's replacement for Ireland. Might help his cause if he's seen as giving the coach options off the bench. Might even end up being Girv's replacement at some point.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Johnny Murphy played full Back for Lansdowne before he went to Leicester.
It will be good to see him get a decent run for the tigers.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Didn't know that SP. Always thought he was a winger. Cheers.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Jonny Hepworth is starting at centre tomorrow for Leeds v Quins. Simon Keogh is starting at scrum half (a position he's not played in about 3 years :shock: ). Fosi probably would have featured for Leeds too, but as I posted earlier, has been called up to the Samoa squad, and is in the 22 against England tomorrow.
Psycho B
Graduate

Post by Psycho B »

claire_m wrote:Jonny Hepworth is starting at centre tomorrow for Leeds v Quins. Simon Keogh is starting at scrum half (a position he's not played in about 3 years :shock: ). Fosi probably would have featured for Leeds too, but as I posted earlier, has been called up to the Samoa squad, and is in the 22 against England tomorrow.
Fosi is playing against England :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Psycho B wrote:
claire_m wrote:Jonny Hepworth is starting at centre tomorrow for Leeds v Quins. Simon Keogh is starting at scrum half (a position he's not played in about 3 years :shock: ). Fosi probably would have featured for Leeds too, but as I posted earlier, has been called up to the Samoa squad, and is in the 22 against England tomorrow.
Fosi is playing against England :shock: :shock: :shock:
Good on ya Fosi !!! Well done
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
El Diablo
Mullet

Ex-Leinster players

Post by El Diablo »

Some familiar faces scoring great tries on the Rugby Club tonight:
Johnny Hepworth scoring a a length of the pitch break away try in Leeds win over Worcester.
Brian O'Riordan scoring around the fringes for Bristol. He is doing well to be 1st choice with Perry away. They have a couple of other good scrum halves.
Brendan Burke moved to bottom of the 1st division, Bedford, but still scoring.
Also saw Eoghan Hickey getting a start ahead of Jeremy Staunton for L Irish but I think he was hauled ashore early enough.
Paul Burke is still plugging away at Leicester. He must be at least 40!
Oscar
Mullet

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by Oscar »

El Diablo wrote: Paul Burke is still plugging away at Leicester. He must be at least 40!

I saw Burke play for Ireland U21s against NZ in Donnybrook back in the 90s, among his teammates that day were Keith Wood and Anthony Foley. I believe Jonah Lomu was playing for NZ.

Wood and Burke were both already bald at the time.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by Mauler »

Oscar wrote:
El Diablo wrote: Paul Burke is still plugging away at Leicester. He must be at least 40!

I saw Burke play for Ireland U21s against NZ in Donnybrook back in the 90s, among his teammates that day were Keith Wood and Anthony Foley. I believe Jonah Lomu was playing for NZ.

Wood and Burke were both already bald at the time.
So was Lomu (kinda)
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty