Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by tackle-bag »

darkside lighteside wrote:
future international wrote:James Downey starting at 12 for northampton today
he's done pretty well too..
I was just about to start a new thread about Downey when I noticed this post. Apparently he was a rock in Northampton's midfield last season (admittedly in National League 1) and grabbed a few tries for himself in the process.

I've always been amazed that he didn't remain as a professional in Ireland. Hard-hitting physical centres like him are relatively thin on the ground in this country. Would love to see him have a great season in the GP before returning to one of the provinces. At the very least, Connacht could certainly use him to shore up that ever-improving back-line of theirs.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Cossax
Enlightened

Post by Cossax »

tackle-bag wrote:
I was just about to start a new thread about Downey when I noticed this post. Apparently he was a rock in Northampton's midfield last season (admittedly in National League 1) and grabbed a few tries for himself in the process.

I've always been amazed that he didn't remain as a professional in Ireland. Hard-hitting physical centres like him are relatively thin on the ground in this country. Would love to see him have a great season in the GP before returning to one of the provinces. At the very least, Connacht could certainly use him to shore up that ever-improving back-line of theirs.
He was offered a Munster contract but he knew he wasn't going to be first choice so he went abroad (Italy I think) to get guaranteed gametime.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

from irishrugby.ie october 2006-
Former Leinster and Connacht centre James Downey tells IrishRugby.ie about his move to Italian club Calvisano and his recent trial with Munster.

Last season was an injury ravaged one for the 25-year-old Downey, who played only three times for Connacht during the 2005/06 campaign before being released from his contract.

Having missed out on an AIB League Division One title with his long term club Clontarf last May, the former Ireland Under-19 international was offered a trial with Heineken Cup champions Munster, as they sought cover at centre. He played three times for them in the Magners League.

But now, once again, Downey's rugby life has been thrust in a different direction.

The long memory of Calvisano coach Marc Delpoux, who recalled Downey's powerful breaks against his old club Narbonne back in October 2004, has seen the 6ft 4in Dubliner bound into Brescia eager to impress his new employers.

Calvisano have former Leinster lock Ben Gissing and Italian internationals Paul Griffen, Ludovico Nitogla and Roland De Marigny, amongst others, on their books.

The lure of Heineken Cup rugby clinched Downey's switch to Calvisano, who are currently top of the Super 10 table. The Italians have the unenviable task of taking on Stade Francais, the Ospreys and Sale Sharks over the coming months in Pool 3 of the Heineken Cup.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Gordon D'arcy was on the Late-late talking about his future plans
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:Gordon D'arcy was on the Late-late talking about his future plans
:shock: I know he's been out for a while with injury but it's probably a little harsh to mention D'Arcy in the 'ex-Leinster players' thread.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

You think? Thought he was anonymous for most of 1st half, a good few bursts in the 2nd but that was it.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

tones wrote:
You think? Thought he was anonymous for most of 1st half, a good few bursts in the 2nd but that was it.
i thought he was pretty good - very solid in defence, punched a couple of holes. Wasn't outstanding, but he looked ok
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:Gordon D'arcy was on the Late-late talking about his future plans
He could always head out West............ :wink:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

I see Dave Gannon was playing for Buccaneers against Dolphin yesterday. I was wondering what had happened to him. After a couple of promising seasons, he has dropped off the radar. Another graet achievment in young player development by Michael Bradley.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

You are truly a small minded idiot aren't you? :roll:

Nasty
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Apart from James Downey for Northhampton, any other ex Leinster players playing European rugby this weekend (apart from Connacht and Niall Ronan on the bench for Munster)?
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Cillian willis for Ulster,ben gissing for Embra plus our exports to connacht.
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

bgmusic wrote:Cillian willis for Ulster
and i thought he looked good - boss took far too much out of the ball earlier, and he looked sharper when he came on. he seems prone to throwing 1 or 2 dodgy passes a match though. i think he may even start on sat..
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

bgmusic wrote:Cillian willis for Ulster,ben gissing for Embra plus our exports to connacht.
David Blaney for Bristol
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Paolo
Beginner

Post by Paolo »

Bryce Williams started at 4 for Bourgoin v Bucaresti Oaks
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Paolo wrote:Bryce Williams started at 4 for Bourgoin v Bucaresti Oaks
*involuntary shudder*
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

From today's IT:

Blaney approaching his best after ankle injury

JOHN O'SULLIVANCHALLENGE CUP BRISTOL v TOULON: DAVID BLANEY knew how events would unfold but there was nothing he could do about it. His foot was trapped and although he desperately tried to free it, he knew it was a futile gambit. A split second later he heard the sharp crack that heralded a broken fibia and ankle and torn ligaments.

There was less than a minute left when Blaney suffered the damage in a Heineken Cup match between Bristol and Harlequins last December. Typically he was in excellent form at the time, having established himself as first-choice hooker following a move from Leinster.

He'd scored six tries in nine matches and earned a huge reputation, ousting England international Mark Regan and Kiwi Scott Linklater, who had played Super 14. The 29-year-old Irishman didn't play again that season. There was symmetry in the fact his return to the Bristol first team was when he came on for the final 20 minutes against Harlequins. Last Friday night he started for Bristol for the first time since his horrific injury - the team also included Peter Bracken and Kevin Maggs - a European Challenge Cup clash away to Montpellier. Bristol coach Richard Hill had elected to go with a largely second-string team on the assumption the French side would do the same. They didn't and Montpellier won 33-15.

Blaney was a candidate for man of the match honours. "It was a strange because we assumed they'd have a different team on the park but on a personal level, I was reasonably satisfied. I've worked hard to rehabilitate and have been very fortunate in some of the people that have helped me get back, particularly Penny Porter, who has swum for England.

"I wore extra long flippers to increase mobility in the ankle and used to do 40 lengths a day in the pool, five days a week. I spent a great deal of time in the gym working on my upper body . . ."

This weekend Bristol host Toulon - coach Tana Umaga has promised they will bring all their internationals, including Jerry Collins and Sonny Bill Williams, following humiliation at home to Northampton - but Blaney starts on the bench, a recognition of his lack of game-time rather than performance. "Mark Regan has been chosen to start but the coach has already told me I will be starting the next match against Llanelli."

He's enjoying his rugby and while his contract with Bristol is up at the season they're already trying to negotiate an extension.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

jezzer wrote:From today's IT:

I missed that update on Blaney the Hairy....good to hear. Must keep an eye on Bristol.

John Lyne to start his 1st game in eons tonight against Edinburgh. He must be close to his last chance saloon. 3 other X-Ls and 2 more on the bench.
John Hearty must be doing well coming back from injury; he has nailed down the 12 jersey.
Dave Gannon on his way back from injury.
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/content/view/81664/7/
alterego
Knowledgeable

Post by alterego »

El Diablo wrote:
jezzer wrote:From today's IT:

I missed that update on Blaney the Hairy....good to hear. Must keep an eye on Bristol.

John Lyne to start his 1st game in eons tonight against Edinburgh. He must be close to his last chance saloon. 3 other X-Ls and 2 more on the bench.
John Hearty must be doing well coming back from injury; he has nailed down the 12 jersey.
Dave Gannon on his way back from injury.
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/content/view/81664/7/
Did Lyne not start V Cardiff in the drubbing Connacht received just recently !
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

INTERVIEW WITH CONNACHT OUTHALF IAN KEATLEY: John O'Sullivan meets the talented outhalf who took his chance to get into the professional ranks

IAN KEATLEY'S decision to leave Leinster for Connacht during the summer articulates his ambition. The 21-year-old was surrounded by friends in the Leinster Academy, in the case of Paul O'Donohue, Cian Healy and Eoin O'Malley, a camaraderie that dated back to school days at Belvedere College.

The easier option would have been to stay put, knuckle down and try to put behind him what had largely been a disappointing season, playing much of his rugby at club level with Clontarf. Instead he chose to accept a one-year contract from Connacht coach Michael Bradley, recognising the chance to pursue his goal of being a professional rugby player.

Keatley's ruthlessly honest appraisal of his situation in acknowledging the logjam of talent ahead of him in the Leinster set-up, primarily in the form of Felipe Contepomi and Jonathan Sexton, made a decision, taken in consultation with his parents and coaches, relatively straightforward. He spoke to Fionn Carr who would undertake a similar journey.

The young outhalf, who played such a pivotal role in the Ireland under-20 Grand Slam of last year, admitted: "I needed a fresh start, an outlet to compete for regular first-team action. There are so many great players in the Leinster squad and I knew where I stood at the end of last season. I spoke to Michael (Cheika) about it and he understood my reasons.

"I was well aware that I would face tough competition for a place in the Connacht team with players like Andy Dunne and Tim Donnelly but I wanted to take that chance. I signed a one-year deal, knowing that it would be my first experience away from home."

His rugby career had started as a six-year-old in the local Suttonians rugby club, before enrolling at Belvedere in third class changed his focus from club to school. He didn't start at JCT level but in fifth year made the senior team that included Healy, O'Donohue and O'Malley. Belvedere won the Leinster Schools' Senior Cup in 2005.

Underage representative rugby followed, the highlight of which was the Grand Slam. Keatley then played in a couple of Churchill Cups with Ireland A but arguably the catalyst for the form he has shown with Connacht this season came while playing for an Ireland Sevens team that competed on the circuit - it followed a long hiatus of the national team not playing the abbreviated format - trying to qualify for next year's Sevens World Cup in Dubai.

"I owe John Skurr and Allen Clarke a great deal because my development as a player was accelerated by playing Sevens."

The game complements his skills base; great feet, good balance, excellent vision and a silky runner with the ability to beat people. The challenge for Keatley when he arrived in Connacht was to nurture other qualities.

He excelled in pre-season matches and was given an opportunity which he has grasped well. His place-kicking statistics are above 75 per cent in the Magners League and the European Challenge Cup while he has worked hard on game management, tactical kicking and defensive responsibilities. "There's still plenty of scope for improvement but I'm working hard. That's my priority; to get my head down and try to keep improving.

"Michael Bradley and the rest of the coaches have been very supportive, very positive and it's a good working environment. Obviously while I have personal goals in improving myself, my primary concern is the Connacht team. The priority is to try and finish as high as possible in the Magners League, and our next game in a few weeks time is against Ulster. It's a game we have targeted."

No more so than the recent Leinster match at the Sportsground, where Connacht prevailed 19-18. The match had a special resonance for Keatley. "Obviously it was always going to be an important game for me personally but I'm more pleased about the result than any personal kudos. It was nice to win the man of the match but in the context of what we're trying to achieve in Connacht, the victory was more important."

He kicked flawlessly that night, his deliberate routine unerring. In referring to the latter Keatley smiles: "Yes it's very much a personal thing," explaining the six bounces or knee flexes he takes before striking the ball. "It's funny, for the European Challenge Cup match away to Dax, the crowd starting cheering after every bounce. I don't mind in the slightest, it certainly doesn't bother me. I think I had a smirk on my face most of the night.

"I suppose the routine began at school and while I have refined it a bit, it's largely the same."

For those wondering why there are six knee flexes and not three or seven, Keatley explained: "I take two bounces looking at the ball, two looking at the posts and then a final two looking at the strike point on the ball." It's working.

In the Leinster game he managed to put housemate Seán Cronin through a gap leading to Michael McCarthy's try and also brought off a try-saving tackle on Rocky Elsom. It was a good night but he wants many more of them. To this end he's committed to working harder, learning to mesh individual qualities into a package whereby he can control matches from outhalf.

He was mentioned as a possible outsider to make Declan Kidney's extended national squad. It didn't happen. "It was nice to have my name thrown in there but I know I need to develop more. I have made a good start to the season but that's all it is. There's plenty more work to do if I am to put myself in a position of being considered for Ireland."
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty