Munster Support

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

ckav wrote:
McCloud wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:Suprise Suprise - that msg has been removed from the the Munster Website.

So much for freedom of speech.
Click on page 2 and you can find it.
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/viewThread.j ... geNumber=2

Must admit that I agree with a lot of what was said in that post. It's a pity we don't see the people who are going to the HC games also turning up for CL games. The fact that it was a dire game doesn't help to generate heat on the terraces.
good point, McCloud (hello by the way!). You simply can't get enthused by shoite rugby....it's soul-destroying
You slagging the Scots or Munster now???
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Colm
Mullet

Re: TOPIC MOVED

Post by Colm »

RobbieRockBoy wrote: Personally can't explain CL attendance stuff.. Friday nights might be better.., was the end of mid-term.., still that probably got more kids there than usual.., was a fine day... people just out elsewhere.. Glasgow not the biggest draw factor.... people just knew it would be a cr@p game.. no "star" players..
excuses could be endless..
My guess they were all watching the "knackerball" match which evidently was over by 2:30 which still leaves time to get to the match.
Drico
Knowledgeable

Post by Drico »

Another factor was a full AIL schedule (including a local Limerick derby) which kicked off an hour before the Munster match. Although, if there was no AIL on, I doubt that Thomond would have had a full house. :(
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

ckav wrote: good point, McCloud (hello by the way!). You simply can't get enthused by shoite rugby....it's soul-destroying
Yep.. really got to admire you Leinsterfans.. the way you've managed to still support Leinster after everything.. really take my hat off to you.. :lol:
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

harryp wrote:
ckav wrote:
McCloud wrote: Click on page 2 and you can find it.
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/viewThread.j ... geNumber=2

Must admit that I agree with a lot of what was said in that post. It's a pity we don't see the people who are going to the HC games also turning up for CL games. The fact that it was a dire game doesn't help to generate heat on the terraces.
good point, McCloud (hello by the way!). You simply can't get enthused by shoite rugby....it's soul-destroying
Neither. My tag team. They're desperate. All they do is drink and party. No commitment to champagne rugby for their fans. Despicable.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:
ckav wrote: good point, McCloud (hello by the way!). You simply can't get enthused by shoite rugby....it's soul-destroying
Yep.. really got to admire you Leinsterfans.. the way you've managed to still support Leinster after everything.. really take my hat off to you.. :lol:
thanks - we've had a difficult few seasons but we're beginning to see the results of a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and a lot of savvy coaching from Cheika & Knoxie!
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

ckav wrote:
RobbieRockBoy wrote:
thanks - we've had a difficult few seasons but we're beginning to see the results of a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and a lot of savvy coaching from Cheika & Knoxie!
I think you guys who are going to Toulouse need a Cheika and Knoxie song!!! Liginds!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Agree that the CL does have a problem in attracting the crowds. . .the standard of play is not always there, the reffing can be shall I say poor to say the least and the kickoffs are also not ideal (well maybe for TV but not for the walkup crowd).

Another probelm is a lot of the CL games kick off very close to when club games finish - how are you supposed to get from club ground down to Donnybrook in say for example 30 mins??

Am not suprised they cant find a sponsor for it, Sadly, I cant see that changing in the foreseeable future either.

Personally think that Setanta need to put a lot more money into their onair presentation, either that or give it back to TG4. . . at the moment only existing rugby supporters watch it on Setanta, it needs to get into the living rooms of 'non rugby mad' fans

Overall most clubs have the same small attendance problems (not just Leinster and Munster) although I think we pick up on it more given the hugh interest in the two provinves HEC fixtures we have at the moment.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

ckav wrote:
harryp wrote:
Neither. My tag team. They're desperate. All they do is drink and party. No commitment to champagne rugby for their fans. Despicable.
thats so unfair... our tag team is back training ... already.... i'm walking around like John Wayne all week... :oops:

reminder.. must talk to you re sourcing a pair of Rock socks for the season.. Flash somehow baulked at the suggestion that he'd get them for me..
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

bluesky wrote:
ckav wrote:
RobbieRockBoy wrote: Yep.. really got to admire you Leinsterfans.. the way you've managed to still support Leinster after everything.. really take my hat off to you.. :lol:
I think you guys who are going to Toulouse need a Cheika and Knoxie song!!! Liginds!
Hmmm, something to the tune of Bonnie and Clyde perhaps...interesting
I have Bumbleflex
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Setanta dictating the kick off times is frightful because the kick off times are bastardised by the likes of the Premiership and Scottish football.

Their presentation is woeful, very very amateur.

Bring back the friday night's they were fantastic and there was a time in Matty Williams days that you couldn't get into Donnybrook it was heaving with People and the atmosphere was electric. The RDS has been the only bit of that spark and atmosphere.

The refereeing is either indiffernet or woeful. The trouble is the Scots and the Welsh are the worst ref's IN THE WORLD, the Irish tend to be in the top 5 ...we ain't ever going to get an Irish ref so we have to make do.

One thing in the CL that needs to improve is the linesmen having some liathroidi to make important calls.
Poor Eric Miller got raked to the bejaysus and the lineseman had to have seen it...unnecessary shoeing...he backed out of making a call.

THink the branch could have a student price as well as a schoolchild price.
I know from my time in Scotland they did a deal with the snapfax offer that if you had a special card you got a 2 4 1 offer on a ticket.....end up being like £6.00 to go to Murrayfield.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Bring back the friday night's they were fantastic and there was a time in Matty Williams days that you couldn't get into Donnybrook it was heaving with People and the atmosphere was electric. The RDS has been the only bit of that spark and atmosphere.
Agree 100%. Friday night in the D-Brook were great, and a great atmosphere. The RDS, has been great so far....Landsdowne Road was complete c~*k....stupid mistake, and did nothing to galvanise any sort of Leinster support.
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sheepshagger wrote:Agree that the CL does have a problem in attracting the crowds. . .the standard of play is not always there, the reffing can be shall I say poor to say the least and the kickoffs are also not ideal (well maybe for TV but not for the walkup crowd).

Another probelm is a lot of the CL games kick off very close to when club games finish - how are you supposed to get from club ground down to Donnybrook in say for example 30 mins??

Am not suprised they cant find a sponsor for it, Sadly, I cant see that changing in the foreseeable future either.

Overall most clubs have the same small attendance problems (not just Leinster and Munster) although I think we pick up on it more given the hugh interest in the two provinves HEC fixtures we have at the moment.
If you look back at the old ZP attendences before the world cup, you'll find a lot of clubs were only getting 5000 supporters in one of the "biggest"/most important world leagues. With the WC win and good marketing the turnstiles in a lot of clubs are letting 15k punters through now.

The quality of the GP games isn't any better than the CL. Half the league is so petrified of relegation that they'll play any way they can not to lose a game. Full of SH players earning a few quid before they retire.

The CL has just as good a product if the participating unions believed in it and marketed it properly. As long as you have a yellowpack broadcaster putting the minimum expenditure into it, unions with nothing innovative in terms of drawing crowds to games and an unpopular/prone-to-be-changed schedule, you won't get a good sponsor who'll force the issues of ref quality etc.

There aren't that many sports out there capable of drawing TV audiences - RTE are losing rights hand-over-fist right now and are going to end up having Sherwin and Hamilton commentating on the Munster road bowls championship soon. The CL a great product that needs a few tweaks. Teams want to win it. Fans want to win it. You'll never get massive away crowds to overseas fixtures but the home derbies are all about bragging rights. You've to be a bloody good team to win it, and that's as good an endorsement as you'll get in any league, in any sport, anywhere.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Bandwagon jumping is an Irish national pastime. I remember going to soccer games in Dalymount Park in the mid 80's and there'd be 5000 people there. Once we qualified for finals all the bandwagon jumpers appeared. Same goes for rugby - we have them at Leinster - that's why we get 50000 at an European Cup quarter final and why we've got 4000 people travelling to Toulouse. Same goes for Turnipstan.

That being said, i do have to say that the slightly superior attitude of some Turnipstani supporters does get my goat. Leinster and Munster actually have similar levels of support - when I checked a few weeks back our average Celtic League attendance was ahead of Tunripstan's (Gringo's were ahead of us both). And over the last few years, we've got bigger support for European cup games (because we filled LR).

Munster to Castres or San Sebastian is no different to Leinster to Toulouse or Bath. There's big travelling support and a good bit of it is bandwagon jumping.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

i've split this again, as matt williams has no control over attendances at munster CL matches :wink:

if you wanna keep talking about bickering squads...http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=151
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

limecat wrote:i've split this again, as matt williams has no control over attendances at munster CL matches :wink:

if you wanna keep talking about bickering squads...http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=151
Jaysus LC. Were you a prefect in school? I wouldn't be stepping out of line if you were in charge of class...
still though, the changing locations and split topics is keeping us guessing. And passing valuable work time. :wink:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

This is very difficult to deal with when used to PR forum - our threads never stay on topic.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:This is very difficult to deal with when used to PR forum - our threads never stay on topic.
So, Matt williams and Nathan Spooner, what do ya reckon? :roll:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Did anyone see Lost last night? Worst episode so far IMHO.

Also, kudos to Network 2 for their Clint Eastwood season. Watched Unforgiven on Saturday night. Class. "It's a helluva thing to kill a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have".
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Less than one week after we brought over more than 2,000 fans to Bath. Leinster played against The Boarders - on a Friday night by the way, with only 5 changes from the starting XV from the previous week and only 4,125 bothered to turn up. I think it’s more relevant to persuade potential Leinster fans to go to Leinster games rather than slagging off other clubs fans for not supporting their own team.