Following Links

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

tate
Shane Horgan

Following Links

Post by tate »

whenever i follow a link it opens the link in the same tab as i was just reading. No other website does this for me (gmail, facebook etc) so i was wondering if it's your end or mine that this is happening at

cheers

tate
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Re: Following Links

Post by Eve »

It's this end
Summer is ready when you are

Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

right click... "open in new tab"...easy.
Or if you are using Firefox click the link with your mouse wheel and it will auto open in a new tab. 8)
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

I was going to start a thread asking why links open in the same page - but here it is. And the answer to right-click the link.

But I still want to gripe that this website is so inconsistent with other forums on this point. Surely the basics of interface design is not to surprise/confuse your users.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

FourMasters wrote:I was going to start a thread asking why links open in the same page - but here it is. And the answer to right-click the link.

But I still want to gripe that this website is so inconsistent with other forums on this point. Surely the basics of interface design is not to surprise/confuse your users.

It sounds odd, but every other forum is wrong. Nothing should open a window on your computer, unless you specifically want to open one yourself. Thats an absolute principle of interface design, backed and emphasised by every HI designer of note, including the god and father of the discipline, Bruce Tognazzini. What other sites do is to force the user to stay on their site, even though they have actively decided to leave by clicking a link that they know will take them elsewhere, a complete breach of design principles
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote:
FourMasters wrote:I was going to start a thread asking why links open in the same page - but here it is. And the answer to right-click the link.

It sounds odd, but every other forum is wrong. Nothing should open a window on your computer, unless you specifically want to open one yourself. Thats an absolute principle of interface design, backed and emphasised by every HI designer of note, including the god and father of the discipline, Bruce Tognazzini. What other sites do is to force the user to stay on their site, even though they have actively decided to leave by clicking a link that they know will take them elsewhere, a complete breach of design principles
:clap: :clap: :clap:
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Dave Cahill wrote:

It sounds odd, but every other forum is wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure your right but this is funny!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

We should probably look to add it as a preference. Get on it Limey ;)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Press SHIFT when clicking a link to open a new window
Press CTRL (COMMAND on a Mac) when clicking a link to open a new tab
If you forget and click on the link then click CTRL and the back button to reopen the page in a new tab.

I like the site the way it is.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

ronk wrote:I like the site the way it is.
Which is why is should be customizable. Not everyone is going to have the same preferences.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

I'm used to it now...but at first it was super annoying. If they changed it now I think it would annoy me more!
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk