HEC competitor watch

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: HEC competitor watch

Post by ronk »

ceemec wrote:Interestingly, Toulouse who are supposedly the best team in Europe, are possibly facing elimination. If Wasps win as expected against Glasgow and then beat Toulouse at home by more than 7 (if Toulouse don't improve their form this is very likely) then they'll be stuck on 21 points. There's a decent chance pools 4 and 5 may produce runners up with 22 points each. In that event, Toulouse are gone. Even as it stands, it looks like they could be facing an away QF.
Toulouse will have the benefit of knowing exactly what they need to do come kickoff. We won't know until this round is over, but it's possible that teams may realise that bonus points could be a curse in some permutations.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Indeed. From how it is shaping up, it may be far more preferable to finish as 3rd or 4th seed than to finish top. There's a good chance the best runners up will be made up of the likes of Toulouse, Perpignan, Leicester. Would much rather get Toulon or Northampton at home who may top their respective groups. Very interesting week ahead.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

ronk wrote:
ceemec wrote:Interestingly, Toulouse who are supposedly the best team in Europe, are possibly facing elimination. If Wasps win as expected against Glasgow and then beat Toulouse at home by more than 7 (if Toulouse don't improve their form this is very likely) then they'll be stuck on 21 points. There's a decent chance pools 4 and 5 may produce runners up with 22 points each. In that event, Toulouse are gone. Even as it stands, it looks like they could be facing an away QF.
Toulouse will have the benefit of knowing exactly what they need to do come kickoff. We won't know until this round is over, but it's possible that teams may realise that bonus points could be a curse in some permutations.
Yes, they'll also have the benefit of a home semi final if they get there. Don't worry, Toulouse aren't going anywhere except Cardiff, you just got to hope not to draw them in the semi's is all.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ceemec wrote:Indeed. From how it is shaping up, it may be far more preferable to finish as 3rd or 4th seed than to finish top. There's a good chance the best runners up will be made up of the likes of Toulouse, Perpignan, Leicester. Would much rather get Toulon or Northampton at home who may top their respective groups. Very interesting week ahead.
As against that, I wouldn't mind getting any of the above in the RDS and putting them out, rather than getting a stinky away SF against one of them.
I'm pretty sure the top 4 seeds will look at it like that too.
Biarritz away would be much easier to handle.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Something tells me that we're destined for Toulon and a Dr. Phil homecoming - The Master v Apprentice - kind of like some movie and stuff.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Wasps mugged by Glasgow. Where will it leave Toulouse, specifically the prospect of them being a bottom seed and Leinster drawing them in a QF?

I understand the logic of those who see an advantage in them in a home QF instead of later - but personally I'd prefer the team has a few more games under the belt post-six nations before meeting the heavy-weight.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

FourMasters wrote:I'd prefer the team has a few more games under the belt post-six nations before meeting the heavy-weight.
I'd rather get them at quarter final stage. They'd be more likely to be better at er, getting it up for a semi-final. Think they'd be marginally less dangerous earlier in the competition, even though it's knock out.

My only worry about that would be if we had a few players missing due to injury sustained during the Six Nations, which unfortunately is a possibility.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

[Jackass] wrote:Something tells me that we're destined for Toulon and a Dr. Phil homecoming - The Master v Apprentice - kind of like some movie and stuff.
Looks the most likely out of the permutations. Definitely be in Lansdowne rd though.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Amz wrote: My only worry about that would be if we had a few players missing due to injury sustained during the Six Nations, which unfortunately is a possibility.
Very good point. Considering the form of the team recently we should (not necessarily sure if we will) have an awful lot of our squad on Ireland duty. Injuries could come into it.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Toulon will have an easier run during the 6 nations than Leicester, as Toulon will barely lose any players to international call ups. I think I'd prefer Leicester. They didn't look especially convincing against the Scarlets.

A home game is must though. Needs focus next week.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Amz wrote:
FourMasters wrote:I'd prefer the team has a few more games under the belt post-six nations before meeting the heavy-weight.
I'd rather get them at quarter final stage. They'd be more likely to be better at er, getting it up for a semi-final. Think they'd be marginally less dangerous earlier in the competition, even though it's knock out.

My only worry about that would be if we had a few players missing due to injury sustained during the Six Nations, which unfortunately is a possibility.
My main worry is the intervening coaching period in the Irish camp stopping the fluidity of Leinter's play. Is Gaffney still the Ireland backs coach? A lovely gentleman, but I think it's pretty clear that the back line was treading water under his stewardship.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

So Clermont are still in it, just about. They can see how they get on with results elsewhere, but they're helped by the fact that Bath, Llannelli and Wasps all have something to play for.

The last thing I'd want would be for us to be playing Clermont again in the quarter.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Would take Bath or Scarlets doing the business away to Biarritz or Perpignan I believe, Ronk. Certainly not beyond possibility particularly for the free running Scarlets. I would not like to play Clermont again under any circumstances. Happy enough to see Scarlets win as I'd be loathe to see Leicester coming here also. I'd expect to beat them but they've a tough pack with very talented halfbacks. Capable of a smash and grab wins away from home are certainly not beyond them after a tough 6N for the majority of the Leinster team.

I'd gladly take Biarritz/Ulster, Toulon or Perpignan here. Tough but winnable games.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ceemec wrote:Would take Bath or Scarlets doing the business away to Biarritz or Perpignan I believe, Ronk. Certainly not beyond possibility particularly for the free running Scarlets. I would not like to play Clermont again under any circumstances. Happy enough to see Scarlets win as I'd be loathe to see Leicester coming here also. I'd expect to beat them but they've a tough pack with very talented halfbacks. Capable of a smash and grab wins away from home are certainly not beyond them after a tough 6N for the majority of the Leinster team.

I'd gladly take Biarritz/Ulster, Toulon or Perpignan here. Tough but winnable games.
As long as Wasps don't win with a bonus point (against Toulouse), then it comes down to any of the top 2 teams losing in either pool 4 or 5. They just need any one team to out of four to mess up, as long it's not Scarlets with a bonus point (not sure how the split would be if they're level on points).
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

ronk wrote:As long as Wasps don't win with a bonus point (against Toulouse), then it comes down to any of the top 2 teams losing in either pool 4 or 5. They just need any one team to out of four to mess up, as long it's not Scarlets with a bonus point (not sure how the split would be if they're level on points).
Llanelli have scored more tries I think so them winning wouldn't help Clermont. They need Leicester, Biarritz or Ulster to lose as far as I know.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Can't see Leicester losing to treviso, so presumably Clermont won't make it now.
poolfan
Learner

Post by poolfan »

So am I right in saying that any sort of a win for Northamption (pjust starting now) or Toulouse tomorrow will push us to either 2nd or 3rd (if both win), hence dodging Clermont (if Leiceter lose) or Leicster (as they should beat Treviso tomorrow)???

Who are the contenders for the 6th and 7th seeds, can't find a link to the updated seedings table on Sky at the moment?
puffmullett
Bookworm

Post by puffmullett »

Toulon & Ulster I think
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

poolfan wrote:So am I right in saying that any sort of a win for Northamption (pjust starting now) or Toulouse tomorrow will push us to either 2nd or 3rd (if both win), hence dodging Clermont (if Leiceter lose) or Leicster (as they should beat Treviso tomorrow)???

Who are the contenders for the 6th and 7th seeds, can't find a link to the updated seedings table on Sky at the moment?
We should either end up in third or fourth at the moment. In reality, it seems that we could either face Biarritz /Leicester/Perpignan (5th seeds) or Toulon (definite 6th seeds). But that's assumung that neither Toulouse or the Saints slip up tomorrow.
Last edited by CRAZYDAVE on January 22nd, 2011, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T - 45
tedotoole
Learner

Post by tedotoole »

Ulster can be seeded no higher than 7th.