Nathan Hines is leaving

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Nathan Hines is leaving

Post by ronk »

Mentioned already in the Clermont thread but worthy of its own thread.

Hines is leaving to go to Clermont for a 2 year contract.

My first guess is that he'll be replaced. We'll have lost 3 locks -- Galarza, Hogan and Hines -- over a season with no replacements. He was likely to be at the World Cup anyway so we wouldn't need extra cover for that part of the season, but Cullen, Toner, O'Donoghue and Sheriff probably don't amount to an overly impressive panel, especially when there isn't particular pressure coming from the academy.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Nathan Hines is leaving

Post by Logorrhea »

A damn shame if you ask me but cant argue with the duration of the contract Clermont are offering him. He'll be badly missed if an appropriate replacement is not sourced.

Toner doesnt convince me, neither does Ed. Cullen is 34. McLaughlin may have talked about moving to second row (well he said it wasnt too difficult a move) but I'd need to see it happen first.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:Mentioned already in the Clermont thread but worthy of its own thread.

My first guess is that he'll be replaced. We'll have lost 3 locks -- Galarza, Hogan and Hines -- over a season with no replacements. He was likely to be at the World Cup anyway so we wouldn't need extra cover for that part of the season, but Cullen, Toner, O'Donoghue and Sheriff probably don't amount to an overly impressive panel, especially when there isn't particular pressure coming from the academy.
Mark Flanagan is in his last year I think, and has one cap. Ciaran Ruddock is a couple of inches short for a lock, and is behind his brother and several others at 6.

I will use the Name Nathan Sharpe on 3 threads in the one hour.

There will be a mass exodus from the SH I reckon. Getting a 2nd row and a Berner replacement should not be a problem.

Nathan Hines is a truly great player though and will be missed. Mal is the only other I can think of with hands that good.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's been immense for us. As I've said before, the priority with his replacement should be making sure the player makes the same impact at the breakdown. Hines and Jennings' clearing out has been exceptional this season and a big part of how we play. Anything after that is a bonus really. Defensively he's been huge too and his strength and skill in defending mauls has been outstanding but I think its the breakdown where his loss will be felt most.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
ronk wrote:Mentioned already in the Clermont thread but worthy of its own thread.

Mark Flanagan is in his last year I think, and has one cap. Ciaran Ruddock is a couple of inches short for a lock, and is behind his brother and several others at 6.

There will be a mass exodus from the SH I reckon. Getting a 2nd row and a Berner replacement should not be a problem.

Nathan Hines is a truly great player though and will be missed. Mal is the only other I can think of with hands that good.
Year 2. The way I remember is that only Sexton, Sheridan and McKinley are year 3. He has 13 minutes from the Glasgow game in April that doesn't count for much and hasn't even seen much time for the As. If he'd been banging the door we wouldn't have signed Galarza.

He looks a lot further away than Sheriff and even Sheriff looks a long way away.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote: Year 2. The way I remember is that only Sexton, Sheridan and McKinley are year 3. He has 13 minutes from the Glasgow game in April that doesn't count for much and hasn't even seen much time for the As. If he'd been banging the door we wouldn't have signed Galarza.

He looks a lot further away than Sheriff and even Sheriff looks a long way away.
Flanagan and Ruddock could see some bench time in September so. We will have Toner, O'Donaghue and Sheriff, at best, before a ball is kicked in anger.
One of them gets a hangnail and it's game on.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

We sent Rocky on his way with a HC medal in his arse pocket.

Just sayin
Last edited by Scott on May 24th, 2011, 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

johng wrote:

Sharp is blown, nowhere near at his best...

If I was doing the hiring and needed a nuts and bolts second row, I'd save my cash by heading to Grenoble and signing Andrew Farley who used to play and Captain Connacht.

He's a couple of years younger at 30, 6'6" & 18 stone former Ireland A and ever permanent in every club he's played at (the guy is phenomenally consitent)..... http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_3533.html

He knows the score as well having played five seasons of ML, and now a couple in France so there's less chance of another Melonhead (Finnegan)...

Think he woul d really do a job for Leinster
Last edited by Sea_point on March 16th, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

great servant to Leinster (in his 2 years) - i say we buy big! and we may get some SANZAR players after the RWC is done and dusted!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Have Bakkies and Big Vic siad they're taking the French coin post WC?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Bakkies to Touon I think. Vic tried it already, didnt like it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote: Vic tried it already, didnt like it.
"So, you don't drink love"
"Tried it once, didn't like it"

"Or Smoke?"

"Any Kids?"
"Just one"
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

johng wrote:
Logorrhea wrote: Vic tried it already, didnt like it.
"So, you don't drink love"

"Or Smoke?"

"Any Kids?"
"Just one"
:happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Havn't heard that in years. A cracker everytime i hear it, possibly because i know a perfect candidate for the part.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Blues-Ultra
Bookworm

Post by Blues-Ultra »

He has been great these two years and we need him more then ever till the end of the season.
But 2 years is to attractive for someone his age.

But we need to replace him with world class quality. Our big off season signing should be a 2nd Row.
I know options are limited but put the cash up and we should get someone.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

I would be surprised if mike McCarthy wasn't being considered.

Physical and abrasive 2nd row, great hands and pace and iq
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well BOD (according to his hyperactive Twitter feed - is he trying to give a message?) wants Dan Carter in.

He'd do well to shift Jenno mind.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

king wrote:I would be surprised if mike McCarthy wasn't being considered.

Physical and abrasive 2nd row, great hands and pace and iq
Suffers the same problem as....
johng wrote:Ciaran Ruddock is a couple of inches short for a lock, and is behind his brother and several others at 6.
He would be a great replacement for Stephen Keogh. But I think we need to think bigger for a Hines replacement.

Blues-Ultra wrote: we need to replace him with world class quality. Our big off season signing should be a 2nd Row.
I agree.
Blues-Ultra wrote: I know options are limited but put the cash up and we should get someone.
Are they fcuk! There will be an avalanche of players heading north after the WC.

Several of them will want to sign for a club like Leinster. Ulster have signed John Afoa FFS.

I reckon we will have a choice.

Someone mentioned that Nathan Sharpe was a bit old. (I did not realise he was 33) Andries Bekker has another year in SA. Matfield is about 400 years old. Bakkies has gone to Toulon. Chris Jack and Ali Williams are hurt AND old. Brad Thorn is 500 years old.

James Horwill? Josh Bekhuis? Mark Chisholm? Hayden Triggs? Dean Mumm? Hmmmm, Maybe.
Jason Eaton? Anthony Boric? Sam Whitelock? Yes.
Isaac Ross? Deffo.

Am I missing anyone south of the equator?

Not sure of the contract status of most of these either.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote: I think we need to think bigger for a Hines replacement.
Richie Gray?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I'm just wondering how Nathan is going to get on with the Clermont forwards he "made friends with" during the double-header. :-)

Sad to see him go as he's been excellent for us, but I can understand his reasoning. Best of luck to him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Scott wrote:We sent Rocky on his way with a HC medal in his arse pocket.

Just sayin
I like the way you're thinking! :D
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.