Tennis Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Vamos los azules
Mullet

Re: Tennis Thread

Post by Vamos los azules »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:Or are you traditionalists who believe in a polite but brief handclap at each break in play and the rest of the time silence? It's really far more fun with a bit of atmosphere!
There's a massive difference between atmosphere and the mindless stuff some of the Centre Court elite come out with. Whooping deliriously when a player faults (never mind double faulting), pretending they're at a panto if a rally ever breaks out (ooohh, aaahhhh) and as for the "C'mon Tim" cr@p, well even Murray has criticised that!
Oh yes, I'd rather the prawn sandwich brigade than some of that rubbish. I was thinking more of when the place is buzzing between games. That "C'mon Tim" thing is weird and really rather pathetic.

I just hope the event-junkies actually show up for the Djokovic-Tsonga match and we don't have to look at a load of empty seats again because those 2 players deserve a full Centre Court. For a semi-final there appeared to be an awful lot of empty seats yesterday.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Vamos los azules wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:Or are you traditionalists who believe in a polite but brief handclap at each break in play and the rest of the time silence? It's really far more fun with a bit of atmosphere!
There's a massive difference between atmosphere and the mindless stuff some of the Centre Court elite come out with. Whooping deliriously when a player faults (never mind double faulting), pretending they're at a panto if a rally ever breaks out (ooohh, aaahhhh) and as for the "C'mon Tim" cr@p, well even Murray has criticised that!
Oh yes, I'd rather the prawn sandwich brigade than some of that rubbish. I was thinking more of when the place is buzzing between games. That "C'mon Tim" thing is weird and really rather pathetic.
Best Atmosphere ever - 10 years ago Rafter V Ivanisevic. Why? Because it was open sales

read this on twitter yesterday, made me laugh
Caroline Cheese wrote:Only at #Wimbledon would Cliff Richard and Gloria Hunniford get better seats than Robert Redford and Jack Nicklaus
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

sarah_lennon wrote:Best Atmosphere ever - 10 years ago Rafter V Ivanisevic. Why? Because it was open sales
That was a cracker. That was actually one of the matches I was thinking of in terms of atmosphere. I had forgotten about the open sales part.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

sarah_lennon wrote: On another note, it'll be nice to see Novak Djokovic on centre court for a change, being this season's form player and incumbent World No. 1 after all!
I gather that even if Tsonga beats Djokovic and Nadal wins the Final Djokovic will be world No 1 post Wimbledon anyway? These ranking systems have flaws no matter which way you organise them.
Four Stars
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Lar wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote: On another note, it'll be nice to see Novak Djokovic on centre court for a change, being this season's form player and incumbent World No. 1 after all!
I gather that even if Tsonga beats Djokovic and Nadal wins the Final Djokovic will be world No 1 post Wimbledon anyway? These ranking systems have flaws no matter which way you organise them.
No, Nadal has to win and against someone that isn't Djokovic (i.e. Tsonga) to keep the No. 1

If Djokovic gets to the final he'll be No. 1 whether he wins or loses

basically because you defend points rather than earn them
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Lar wrote:
No, Nadal has to win and against someone that isn't Djokovic (i.e. Tsonga) to keep the No. 1

If Djokovic gets to the final he'll be No. 1 whether he wins or loses

basically because you defend points rather than earn them
Also to be fair to Djokovic, his form all year warrants him being No.1 not just these 2 weeks in SW19. The guy's lost only 1match all year so far!
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Djokovic is now the world number 1.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Djokovic is now the world number 1.
Hold your horses there, he's not world number 1 until Monday! There is no doubt but that Djokovic has been the form player in world tennis this season, but if Nadal wins on Sunday, the rankings system will begin to look slightly silly - a guy who will have won 5 of the last 6 grand slams will apparently not be the world's top player.

Firmly up for Nadal on Sunday, although I do like Djokovic a lot. The former's humility and grace, however, is almost unprecedented in the world of individual sports. Would love to see him win Olympic gold again next year, and push on to 17 or more grand slams.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

tackle-bag wrote:
BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Djokovic is now the world number 1.
Hold your horses there, he's not world number 1 until Monday! There is no doubt but that Djokovic has been the form player in world tennis this season, but if Nadal wins on Sunday, the rankings system will begin to look slightly silly - a guy who will have won 5 of the last 6 grand slams will apparently not be the world's top player.

Firmly up for Nadal on Sunday, although I do like Djokovic a lot. The former's humility and grace, however, is almost unprecedented in the world of individual sports. Would love to see him win Olympic gold again next year, and push on to 17 or more grand slams.
When you put it that way it does sound a bit silly. All moot now anyway. Djokovic was beyond immense in that 2nd set! It remains to be seen whether he can maintain that kind of intensity long-term tho. Disappointed for Nadal, he's one of the classiest operators in world sport in everything he does! Hope he gets back from this in the hard-court season.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Thoroughly well deserved win for Djokovic. The lengths he has gone to strengthen his game and his fitness really showed in the final. With Federer hitting 30 tennis needed someone to step up and challenge Nadal. Otherwise he could dominate for the next 5 years. All we need now is Del Portro to stay injury free for more than a couple of months at a time and the competitions over the next 12 - 18 months will be highly entertaining.

What gets me is the poor physical shape many of the Women players. You would have thought the minimum expectation a coach would impose on their players to be physically fit. I was delighted to see Kvitova beat the grunts of Sharapova and (even worse) Azaranka, but its remarkable how poor physical shape she is in. Its about time they moved the women to 5 sets. 3 sets too short to develop true drama. I never understood when they moved to equal prize money, why they didn't move to 5 sets.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

RTE Sport wrote:Niland and Sorenson reach US Open main draw

Conor Niland and Louk Sorenson have both reached the US Open main draw at Flushing Meadows, having come through the qualifying tournament.

This will be the first time in history that two Irishmen will contest the main draw at the event.

Niland's three-set victory against Dutch opponent Matwe Middelkoop means the Limerick man has qualified for the main draw at a second consecutive grand slam.

The Irish number one recorded a battling 2-6 6-1 6-4 win against Middelkoop in just under two hours in the third, and final round, of qualifying.

Sorenson defeated the world's 202nd-ranked player Martin Fischer of Austria in straight sets 7-6 (7/2) 6-1 to also reach the US Open main draw.

He took one hour and 32 minutes to do away with Fischer in New York. The Irishman ruthlessly converting four out of four break points to ensure his place in the competition proper.

Niland, currently ranked 199 in the world, saw off Slovakia's Pavol Cervenak and Chinese Taipei's Tsung-Hua Yang in the earlier rounds.

The Limerick man also reached the first round at Wimbledon in June.

Sorensen had earlier recorded a 6-4 6-1 victory against Portugal's Gastao Elias to set up the clash with Fischer.

The victory over Elias made a mockery of Sorenson's world ranking of 614 with an authoritative win against a player ranked more than 300 places above him.
It's difficult to describe how big an achievement this is for Irish tennis. When you consider that before this year no Irishman had made the main draw of a Grand Slam singles event since 1977 (excluding Matt Doyle's appearances under the stars and stripes), 2011 has been simply phenomenal. Both of these guys made the main draw of the Australian Open in January, with Sorensen reaching the second round. Niland made the main draw in Wimbledon before losing a tight match, and with it the chance to face Federer in the second round. Now the duo have repeated their feat down under by winning three rounds of qualifying, several of which were against players ranked much higher than them, to make the main draw in New York.

Niland has just been drawn against Djokovic in the first round, while Sorenson has drawn Robin Soderling. Although it means that the Irish interest in the main draw may be short-lived, it's a great chance for these guys to showcase their skills on a truly global stage. Both matches are almost certain to be played on the Arthur Ashe Stadium, in front of 22,500 people (plus a few million more worldwide!).
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Niland is playing this evening, last match on Arthur Ashe court, so maybe sometime around 8 or 9pm GMT??
Dont Panic!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Heading to this on Friday night. Reckon Conor or Louk can hold on till then?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

sarah_lennon wrote:Heading to this on Friday night. Reckon Conor or Louk can hold on till then?
Not much chance really, is there? You never know though! Enjoy anyway.
Dont Panic!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Dexter wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:Heading to this on Friday night. Reckon Conor or Louk can hold on till then?
Nope. Conor's only chance is if a pesky bread roll makes it into Novak's lunch
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Novak has an arm injury. Dunno if it's healed enough yet but there's an outside chance Niland might get a walk if the arm flares up.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

jezzer wrote:Novak has an arm injury. Dunno if it's healed enough yet but there's an outside chance Niland might get a walk if the arm flares up.
It's his only hope on the evidence of that 1st set! 6-0 and Djokovic in about 1st gear.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Retired at 0-6 1-5. He looks devestated...
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Nope. Conor's only chance is if a pesky bread roll makes it into Novak's lunch
Almost prophetic... it was Conor's lunch that done for him
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
LCD_Blue
Bookworm

Post by LCD_Blue »

Watching tennis with no commentary only grunting very strange!! Can Louk fight back? Lost 1st set 6-0 but up a break 2-4 in the 2nd