2%
Abstaining
2%
Can't vote
5%

Total votes: 58

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Presidential Election

Post by Darce »

sarah_lennon wrote:
olaf the fat wrote: 1) When I think of what she has done, Mary Mac has shown that the job IS really important.
For instance? Genuine question.

I'll give her her props on the queen's visit, a roaring success.

For my money though MMA has rowed back on the progress that Mary Robinson made in making the Presidency a genuinely useful position, particularly Constitutionally.

Her role in working within both communities in the north is beyond reproach for a start.

I would say that she has been correct in scaling back on constitutional issues. I think that was needed. Let the business of governance be performed by the government.

Let the president act as a statesperson, door opener, investment schmoozer
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

the spoofer wrote:
Give me a break, for me she was comparable to Haughey and Ahern in her self serving, self interest agenda.
Yeah, I'm sure she was on the take from foreign dignataries to get better photo ops!!! :lol:

What a load of nonsense!
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

From The Journal-
SENATOR DAVID NORRIS used official Seanad headed notepaper to write appealing for clemency for his former partner Ezra Tizhak Nawi, it has been claimed.
The Palestinian activist has been convicted by an Israeli court of having sex with an underage Palestinian teenager in 1992.
Speaking on RTÉ’s Saturday View this afternoon, Trinity College lecturer Dr Elaine Byrne said that the letters had been leaked, but that no clear recipient is known. She said further details are expected to be published tomorrow.
Strong speculation that Norris will announce his withdrawal from the Presidential race tomorrow.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

future international wrote:From The Journal-
SENATOR DAVID NORRIS used official Seanad headed notepaper to write appealing for clemency for his former partner Ezra Tizhak Nawi, it has been claimed.
The Palestinian activist has been convicted by an Israeli court of having sex with an underage Palestinian teenager in 1992.
Speaking on RTÉ’s Saturday View this afternoon, Trinity College lecturer Dr Elaine Byrne said that the letters had been leaked, but that no clear recipient is known. She said further details are expected to be published tomorrow.
Strong speculation that Norris will announce his withdrawal from the Presidential race tomorrow.
Gee whiz that's some shady sh!t.

Definite nail in the coffin stuff when you're sympathizing with sex offenders
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Darce wrote:
future international wrote:From The Journal-
Gee whiz that's some shady sh!t.

Definite nail in the coffin stuff when you're sympathizing with sex offenders
Being a cynic.
They say timing is everything - So.

1. Who benefits most by this.
2. I am not my brothers keeper.
3. How long ago is it since Norris was involved with the guy.
4. Does the statute of limitations apply.
5. Who cares, it's only the Presidency.
6. So when is the dirt going to come out on the other candidates.
7. Who thinks we need to be protected from Norris - Must be a republicican, becasue they think they
need to explain to the people, why the state not paying it's bills (like their dole and their salaries) will be good for them.
I could go on, but it is only the presidency after all and a bit of colour helps the boredom of it all.
8. Hope Norris sticks it out, but I wonder has he the type of brass neck needed and reserved especially for former Taoisigh of this country.
9. IT'S A PALESTINIAN CONVICTED BY THE ISRAELIS - Hhhhmmmmmm?
(As skippy was asked - "Now who would do a thing like")(REMINDS ME OF A CERTAIN JUDGE SCARMAN)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Oldschool wrote: 9. IT'S A PALESTINIAN CONVICTED BY THE ISRAELIS - Hhhhmmmmmm?

Nawi is a Jew ... an Israeli Jew. Just because he campaigns for rights for Palestinians doesn't mean he's a Palestinian.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Oldschool wrote: 1. Who benefits most by this. Norris' opponents, I'll give you that.
2. I am not my brothers keeper. Can't say that when Norris was actively trying to defend his former bf
3. How long ago is it since Norris was involved with the guy. They were separated 7 years when Norris provided a character reference. He still felt strongly enough for the man/issue to do it
4. Does the statute of limitations apply. Doesn't matter, he's supporting a paedophile and I'm not going to support that
5. Who cares, it's only the Presidency. Again, he was supporting a paedophile. I don't want to be represented by someone like that
6. So when is the dirt going to come out on the other candidates. You would need serious dirt to even come close to this. Unless Michael D. is a secret Nazi fugitive, David Norris is getting all the flak

9. IT'S A PALESTINIAN CONVICTED BY THE ISRAELIS - Hhhhmmmmmm? its a JEW convicted by JEWS
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Wait, if the letter has no recipient, doesn't that mean that it might not have been sent.

Even if he was Palestinian-activist as opposed to a Palestinian activist, doesn't mean the Israelis weren't out to get him.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

any legal eagles able to explain why norris was talking about irish law about an israeli court case?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0730/norrisletter.pdf
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Despite never having supported Norris's presidential bid even before the current revelations of which there are two more to come according to Joe Jackson. The poll published in today's Sindo is disgraceful and further reenforces their image as a tabloid rag http://www.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/upl ... jpg?f22064.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

gfo wrote:
Oldschool wrote: 1. Who benefits most by this. Norris' opponents, I'll give you that.
2. I am not my brothers keeper. Can't say that when Norris was actively trying to defend his former bf
3. How long ago is it since Norris was involved with the guy. They were separated 7 years when Norris provided a character reference. He still felt strongly enough for the man/issue to do it
4. Does the statute of limitations apply. Doesn't matter, he's supporting a paedophile and I'm not going to support that
5. Who cares, it's only the Presidency. Again, he was supporting a paedophile. I don't want to be represented by someone like that
6. So when is the dirt going to come out on the other candidates. You would need serious dirt to even come close to this. Unless Michael D. is a secret Nazi fugitive, David Norris is getting all the flak

9. IT'S A PALESTINIAN CONVICTED BY THE ISRAELIS - Hhhhmmmmmm? its a JEW convicted by JEWS
Re 4 & 5 - Splitting hairs here, but sex with a 15 old is statutary rape not paedophilia - Maybe that doesn't make that much difference if you're the victim.
Re 2 - I'm still not my brothers keeper. Once you compromise your "anything", you keep getting deeper and deeper into the mire.
Hence the phrase - Stop digging - Stop digging Norris. His main error could simply be misguided loyalty and speaking without knowing the facts.
(Which I'm certainly 100% guilty in this instance, so I think I'll stop digging after this post)
Re 3 - Emotion is a very hard thing to wipe out and dismiss it - Again misplaced loyalty. Also the defendent, at the time was presumed innocent (until found guilty presumably) and therefore entitled to present any evidence that he feels might help.
Should Norris have denied him of that presumption of innocence.
Again I hasten to add, I know nothing about the quality of Israeli justice. But given they are a nation under siege, I'd say don't mess with them.
Norris is unlikely to make a state visit there, should he be elected, which is now also unlikely.
Re 9. The fact he was a Jew would be even worse for him, as he would be regarded as a traitor surely!
The problem with all of this is that we will not get a rational, objective utterance of the facts from any quarter.
So Norris won't be judged by the facts - Why let the facts get in the way of a good story.
He also seems to be a little error prone.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Norris is gone now anyway.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

in 2003 Gay Mitchell pleaded with the Governer of Florida to remove from death row a man found guilty of the murder of two people outside an abortion clinic. Will he be asked to withdraw next?

What about Michael D Higgins who in 2009 seconded and voted in favour of a motion in support of convicted statuary rapist Ezra Nawi?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

It would be of massive public interest is all politicians laid out what letters they have written on state letterhead. It would also say yards about how the Irish perceive different offences
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Fintan O'Toole has an interesting piece in today's It about other politicians who wrote letters on behalf of convicted rapists.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Broken Wing wrote:in 2003 Gay Mitchell pleaded with the Governer of Florida to remove from death row a man found guilty of the murder of two people outside an abortion clinic. Will he be asked to withdraw next?

What about Michael D Higgins who in 2009 seconded and voted in favour of a motion in support of convicted statuary rapist Ezra Nawi?
Maybe Mr Norris withdrew, not because he pleaded on behalf of a (statuary) rapist, but because of the 2 stories/issues that have not been made public yet?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

deco wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:in 2003 Gay Mitchell pleaded with the Governer of Florida to remove from death row a man found guilty of the murder of two people outside an abortion clinic. Will he be asked to withdraw next?

Maybe Mr Norris withdrew, not because he pleaded on behalf of a (statuary) rapist, but because of the 2 stories/issues that have not been made public yet?
And I suppose you can't reveal that, can you?
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

1: that's not his real hair

2: he was overheard saying james joyce writes pretentious twaddle

Case = blown open

On a serious note, *** Edited by Mod - potentially libellous material removed ***
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Looks like Dana is going to run now. She won't be picking up any of Norris' votes.

Presidential election is a farce. Why can't you run independently of the Dail or local councillors? I'm sure it's written somewhere but is there not some way to allow people (actual candidates, not Dustin or Zig & Zag) to mount a campaign without having to get cosy with the politicians? Norris was never guaranteed of reaching his quote but was probably the most popular candidate of those charged with actually electing him.

The remaining list is dull and ordinary. This race needed a Norris like character.
gfo wrote:On a serious note, *** Edited by Mod - potentially libellous material removed ***
:lol: You have to say something pretty bad to have the mods editing your posts for potentially libellous material
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

With respect to Mitchell, there is quite a bit of difference between what he did and what Norris did.

In Mitchell's case, he seems to be appealing for a commute of a death sentence on a point of principle against the death penalty. He's not appealing for leniency on the basis that he was his lover and a stand up chap. Which is what Norris did. There is a clear conflict of interest in what Norris did.

The comparison is in fact erroneous
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on