Steven Sykes

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Steven Sykes

Post by cwebber82 »

Has anybody heard anything about Steven Sykes? I know he got injured but he didn't make the match day squad last friday and he was available.

Also, is anybody else worried about this season?

The scrum was under pressure last friday against Munster. Hines is a huge loss in the scrum and general play and Toner just doesnt cut it at european level hence the Sykes question.

Heaslip's form has been poor since he did his ankle against Clermont last December, Ross looks like he ate all the pies again, we have only one european level lock in Leo and now the great man is gone for six months.

I hope I'm absolutely wrong but is anyone else pessimistic for this season?
Lar
Mullet

Re: Steven Sykes

Post by Lar »

Fair enough.

Let's hand back the H Cup. Let's withdraw from this year's competition and be thankful that there is no relegation in the Pro12.
Four Stars
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

cwebber82 wrote: I hope I'm absolutely wrong but is anyone else pessimistic for this season?
Good god.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I was pessimistic before this season began (knowing that we would face a severe world cup hangover and that the chances of repeating last years excellence were slim), but I'm happier now. We're right at the top of the league rather than playing catch up which we were doing all last season. Toner's form has been excellent. One of our best players. Jamie had a great game last Friday. Stop listening to Franno - he makes some good points but once he finds one he likes he keeps on banging it. Again and again and again and again. With absolutely no regard to actually watching the matches that he's supposed to be commenting on. I worry not at all about Heaslip's form. SOB will have his work cut out to replicate last year though and I wouldn't expect the non-stop heroics from him.

Our scrum was in trouble at 7 men against a massively improved Munster scrum. And it wasn't exactly a settled unit they were facing either.

BOD and Darcy were out for Clermont away last year, we seemed to do okay. Let's face it, we didn't really expect a full season out of him this year after the WC? And in fact injured as he was (remember all the missed tackles at the end of last year? ERC final for example?) and the fact that he also wasn't the attacking force he can be at the WC we really need him to heal and hopefully come back for a last season. But we still need to be replacing him now, not later (hint to Joe: Luke's got a great defence, makes great yards in traffic, has a terrific first 5-10 metres, has balance like nobody else and has the skills needed, but does not have the pace or finishing to be a world class winger. McF might not have the skillset to be 13.)
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cwebber82 wrote:Has anybody heard anything about Steven Sykes? I know he got injured but he didn't make the match day squad last friday and he was available.

Also, is anybody else worried about this season?

The scrum was under pressure last friday against Munster. Hines is a huge loss in the scrum and general play and Toner just doesnt cut it at european level hence the Sykes question.

Heaslip's form has been poor since he did his ankle against Clermont last December, Ross looks like he ate all the pies again, we have only one european level lock in Leo and now the great man is gone for six months.

I hope I'm absolutely wrong but is anyone else pessimistic for this season?
Devin Toner has won a Man of the Match award in the HEC - vs Castres at home in 08-09. Rocky Elsom, Jamie Heaslip, Brian O'Driscoll were all playing that day, and Toner got the nod as the best player on the pitch. He has 'cut it' in the past at European level.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Toner looked fine last year too against BNZ too. This guy will continue to improve. This year is his break-out season. F**k it, FACT
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I'm worried every season
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

TrapperChamonix wrote:I'm worried every season
:lol: :lol:

The lot of a supporter.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

fourthirtythree wrote:I was pessimistic before this season began (knowing that we would face a severe world cup hangover and that the chances of repeating last years excellence were slim), but I'm happier now. We're right at the top of the league rather than playing catch up which we were doing all last season. Toner's form has been excellent. One of our best players. Jamie had a great game last Friday. Stop listening to Franno - he makes some good points but once he finds one he likes he keeps on banging it. Again and again and again and again. With absolutely no regard to actually watching the matches that he's supposed to be commenting on. I worry not at all about Heaslip's form. SOB will have his work cut out to replicate last year though and I wouldn't expect the non-stop heroics from him.

Our scrum was in trouble at 7 men against a massively improved Munster scrum. And it wasn't exactly a settled unit they were facing either.

BOD and Darcy were out for Clermont away last year, we seemed to do okay. Let's face it, we didn't really expect a full season out of him this year after the WC? And in fact injured as he was (remember all the missed tackles at the end of last year? ERC final for example?) and the fact that he also wasn't the attacking force he can be at the WC we really need him to heal and hopefully come back for a last season. But we still need to be replacing him now, not later (hint to Joe: Luke's got a great defence, makes great yards in traffic, has a terrific first 5-10 metres, has balance like nobody else and has the skills needed, but does not have the pace or finishing to be a world class winger. McF might not have the skillset to be 13.)
D'Arcy played in Clermont last season. It was BOD, Fitzgerald and Rob Kearney who were injured with Heaslip departing at half time.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

i'm a bit worried about Heaslip's form too
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

slum wrote:i'm a bit worried about Heaslip's form too

he doesnt pump the legs anymore, i havent seen him batter someone in ages for club and country
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Heaslip never was a leg pumping, power house with ball in hand but that's not to say he lacks power. He's not like SOB or Picamoles. I think his strength was always being able to attack the right point. He always hits the weak shoulder, dips into contact and goes through. He hasn't been as prevalent since the emergence of SOB but that's to be expected. Why keep giving the ball to Heaslip when he was the most marked man on the pitch going into last season? He was really good against Munster getting over the gain line nearly every time. I watched the game again and he was one of the best players on the field for Leinster.

I also wouldn't worry about Toner. We'll see his worth this weekend. We kept our powder dry last week. I think I only spotted one line out throw that went beyond the jumper at 2. We were just looking to get secure ball every time. This weekend, I think we'll see Toner launched in the middle a lot more and work off the ball he provides/disrupts.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'm a little concerned about the lack of Grunt! in the 2nd row.

Sykes was supposed to provide this, and he may make the bench for this one.

I don't think so though. I reckon we will see Kev on the bench for this one. Like last week.

I was looking to Browne for a bit of Dog too. but he does not look that fit, and I don't think he is HC quality.

Overall I'm happy with the squad though.

I feel a little guilty saying we can manage without Bod and Shaggy. But we should. Not as well as we would manage with them but......
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

I'm usually pessimistic about our chances in September then I wait and see what unfolds in the coming months. What is clear so far is it's make or break season for Toner imo. It will be interesting to see how he gets on this weekend, I don't think he'll cut it against the French although i hope i'm proved wrong.
Sykes is an odd one and it's worrying he had no involvement against the Turnips. We need players of his(alleged) ability for a sustained assault on Europe. If Leo gets injured how confident would any of us be then? Not much i'd imagine.
Our scrum weakened last week when we were down to 7 and subs were introduced, don't see how that makes our scrum in trouble for the season.
BOD is irreplaceable but as European champions we should have a contingency plan and I'm sure Joe is mulling over this one. I have complete faith in Mr Schmidt to make the right call. I'm sure O'Malley, Fitz & Mcf etc have all privately thought about this current scenario in relation to BOD's injury and promised themselves when the opportunity arises they'll grab it with relish and make a case for themselves.
It's early days and we are joint top in the league, Montpellier, Bath & Glasgow will be more worried about us and then we are about them.
3 Gold Stars
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:I'm usually pessimistic about our chances in September then I wait and see what unfolds in the coming months. What is clear so far is it's make or break season for Toner imo. It will be interesting to see how he gets on this weekend, I don't think he'll cut it against the French although i hope i'm proved wrong.
Sykes is an odd one and it's worrying he had no involvement against the Turnips. We need players of his(alleged) ability for a sustained assault on Europe. If Leo gets injured how confident would any of us be then? Not much i'd imagine.
Our scrum weakened last week when we were down to 7 and subs were introduced, don't see how that makes our scrum in trouble for the season.
BOD is irreplaceable but as European champions we should have a contingency plan and I'm sure Joe is mulling over this one. I have complete faith in Mr Schmidt to make the right call. I'm sure O'Malley, Fitz & Mcf etc have all privately thought about this current scenario in relation to BOD's injury and promised themselves when the opportunity arises they'll grab it with relish and make a case for themselves.
It's early days and we are joint top in the league, Montpellier, Bath & Glasgow will be more worried about us and then we are about them.
if memory serves me correctly Toner was on the field for most of the home Racing Metro game last season and performed particularly well.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

slum wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:I'm usually pessimistic about our chances in September then I wait and see what unfolds in the coming months. What is clear so far is it's make or break season for Toner imo. It will be interesting to see how he gets on this weekend, I don't think he'll cut it against the French although i hope i'm proved wrong.
if memory serves me correctly Toner was on the field for most of the home Racing Metro game last season and performed particularly well.
How did he do in France?
3 Gold Stars
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

slum wrote:
He started alongside Hines, as he did the following week away to Saracens.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
slum wrote:
How did he do in France?
10 mins off the bench v Racing in January was the height of it. Played the full 80 in the 1st 2 games though.

But the key is he had Hines with him.

Leo is more the Matfield to Hines' Bakkies. We are hoping Toner develops into Bekker...... If you want to keep to an SA metaphor.

Make or break for him in the HC this year. Hard to coach "dog" into a player, perhaps you can do it with mental coaching? as "dog" is purely mental.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

johng wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
slum wrote: if memory serves me correctly Toner was on the field for most of the home Racing Metro game last season and performed particularly well.
How did he do in France?
10 mins off the bench v Racing in January was the height of it. Played the full 80 in the 1st 2 games though.

But the key is he had Hines with him.

Leo is more the Matfield to Hines' Bakkies. We are hoping Toner develops into Bekker...... If you want to keep to an SA metaphor.

Make or break for him in the HC this year. Hard to coach "dog" into a player, perhaps you can do it with mental coaching? as "dog" is purely mental.
Precisely my point JohnG.

BTW, wonderful Pun in the first line :clap:
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Precisely my point JohnG.

BTW, wonderful Pun in the first line :clap:
Should I pretend it was intentional? :)