Leinster hit back in blue row with Dubs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster hit back in blue row with Dubs

Post by cormac »

janeymac08 wrote:
suisse wrote: It is very short-sighted of them to assume that everyone in the capital must be a GAA head as they claims "Dublin is GAA country"
The IRFU/Guinness ran a promotional campaign based on "This is Rugby Country - Play Your Part".

Sexton, Heaslip and maybe Tommy Bowe were featured! Here is one of the ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL2SRo-V-BM&NR=1

They had a poster campaign as they were all over Terenure anyway (Terenure Jim probably remembers them). If not, it was obviously a waste of a campaign!
There was also a separate Leinster version of the ad around the time of the HEC KO stages last year too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

janeymac08 wrote:
suisse wrote: It is very short-sighted of them to assume that everyone in the capital must be a GAA head as they claims "Dublin is GAA country"
The IRFU/Guinness ran a promotional campaign based on "This is Rugby Country - Play Your Part".

They had a poster campaign as they were all over Terenure anyway (Terenure Jim probably remembers them). If not, it was obviously a waste of a campaign!
Those ads were all over the province. What's your point?
Last edited by honeyec on November 15th, 2011, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

janeymac08 wrote:The IRFU/Guinness ran a promotional campaign based on "This is Rugby Country - Play Your Part".

Jerry Flannery, Muldoon, Ferris are the other Guinness ambassadors for this campaign I assumed they had posters up all over the country based on provincial lines when the HEC was on and going green during the last 6N.

And yes the posters were up down in Rathgar past the church on the right heading into town and possibly beside Gerry Caffery Motors the ads are on tv/facebook quite regularly. Always thought it was a bit of a meh campaign with various normal plebs in a range of vintage and current jerseys standing in a bar (looked like Toners) but I'd imagine that the "Dubs" marketing team would want to re-think their strategy if they're trying to poach a Guinness advertising term/campaign. They'll end up embarassing themselves.
Balrog
Bookworm

Post by Balrog »

janeymac08 wrote: Always thought it was a bit of a meh campaign with various normal plebs in a range of vintage and current jerseys standing in a bar (looked like Toners)...
I believe it was Slattery's in Ringsend/South Lotts.
Last edited by Balrog on November 15th, 2011, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

honeyec wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

Those ads were all over the province. What's your point?
My point is that Dublin GAA are not the only short-sighted ones for claimed Dublin is "GAA Country" as claimed by suisse. IRFU/Guinness (and Leinster by association having two very prominent Leinster players involved in the advertisement).
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

TerenureJim wrote: And yes the posters were up down in Rathgar past the church on the right heading into town and possibly beside Gerry Caffery Motors the ads are on tv/facebook quite regularly. Always thought it was a bit of a meh campaign with various normal plebs in a range of vintage and current jerseys standing in a bar (looked like Toners) but I'd imagine that the "Dubs" marketing team would want to re-think their strategy if they're trying to poach a Guinness advertising term/campaign. They'll end up embarassing themselves.
I'd say Vodafone (Dublin GAA sponsors) are well up to producing a decent enough campaign for the GAA.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

janeymac08 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: And yes the posters were up down in Rathgar past the church on the right heading into town and possibly beside Gerry Caffery Motors the ads are on tv/facebook quite regularly. Always thought it was a bit of a meh campaign with various normal plebs in a range of vintage and current jerseys standing in a bar (looked like Toners) but I'd imagine that the "Dubs" marketing team would want to re-think their strategy if they're trying to poach a Guinness advertising term/campaign. They'll end up embarassing themselves.
I'd say Vodafone (Dublin GAA sponsors) are well up to producing a decent enough campaign for the GAA.
True but do you really want to cause any bad blood of any sort with a company that controls one of the largest marketing budgets around.

Anyways Arnotts will always be the real Dublin sponsor :D
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

janeymac08 wrote:My point is that Dublin GAA are not the only short-sighted ones for claimed Dublin is "GAA Country" as claimed by suisse. IRFU/Guinness (and Leinster by association having two very prominent Leinster players involved in the advertisement).
That was a marketing initiative, trying to be creative. The ad that sprung up around the time of the Guinness Internationals was a pretty cool one too.

Leinster did not release a mission statement or strategy document or whatever the Dubs called it. They are highlighting that the "flourishing professional franchise" was threatening their dominance in, what they refer to it as, "Dublin is GAA Country"

How can you possibly make the connection between a Guinness advert adopted from US sporting folklore (I presume) to the Dubs' statement? You're some man...
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

suisse wrote: That was a marketing initiative, trying to be creative. The ad that sprung up around the time of the Guinness Internationals was a pretty cool one too.

Leinster did not release a mission statement or strategy document or whatever the Dubs called it. They are highlighting that the "flourishing professional franchise" was threatening their dominance in, what they refer to it as, "Dublin is GAA Country"

How can you possibly make the connection between a Guinness advert adopted from US sporting folklore (I presume) to the Dubs' statement? You're some man...
Could you by any chance respond to him without quoting? I'm reducing my intake of troll food at the moment and the person in question constantly lowers the standard of discourse on the forum without contributing anything positive
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

So, in summary, Leinster Rugby is a delusional, exploitative, class-driven distortion of the Celtic Tiger.

Was this strategy document written by Jim Larkin, by any chance?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

fourthirtythree wrote:
suisse wrote: That was a marketing initiative, trying to be creative. The ad that sprung up around the time of the Guinness Internationals was a pretty cool one too.

Could you by any chance respond to him without quoting? I'm reducing my intake of troll food at the moment and the person in question constantly lowers the standard of discourse on the forum without contributing anything positive
:D - Fair game!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

jezzer wrote:So, in summary, Leinster Rugby is a delusional, exploitative, class-driven distortion of the Celtic Tiger.

You forgot to add that many folk who attend Leinster games are direct descendants of company owners during the Lockout
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

janeymac08 wrote:My point is that Dublin GAA are not the only short-sighted ones for claimed Dublin is "GAA Country" as claimed by suisse. IRFU/Guinness (and Leinster by association having two very prominent Leinster players involved in the advertisement).
With Rugby now being the winter distraction for many of the recently formed Southern France Brigade of the Red Army, are the Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford Clare & Kerry County Boards also in the process of writing mission statements aimed at insulting them?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Leinster Exile wrote:
jezzer wrote:So, in summary, Leinster Rugby is a delusional, exploitative, class-driven distortion of the Celtic Tiger.

You forgot to add that many folk who attend Leinster games are direct descendants of company owners during the Lockout
And I'm directly quoting! All those adjectives are in there, clearly directed at LR. It's quite something...
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

A nice little something for the GAA is part of every dodgy redevelopment / new housing estate without sewage treatment or transport or services constructed in Ireland for the last forty years.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

The GAA would be in competition with the Irish Tiddlywinks society if it meant more money for them.

They must be getting worried with the rise in the popularity of rugby and now the success of the soccer team, and the drop in CP attendances over the past two years. Takings at the start of next years "Champeenship" will probably be down as a result of Euro 2012. (I'm sure I could hear the gnashing of teeth last Friday night as I made my way home.

Sport is for all, and not everyone is suited to one sport. The last expenditure review advised that investmnent in club facilities GAA or Otheriwse was not increasing participation rates, and recommended a change in disbursement of grants.

As they don't pay their players over the counter, or their managers, or their stewards, and as they have the largest fundraising base available from within let them fund this from within their own resources, not from the taxpayers pocket.
T - 45
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

And this is why Dublin should never be allowed win an All Ireland.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

sid wrote:And this is why Dublin should never be allowed win an All Ireland.
Serious or satyrical ??
T - 45
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

GAA is like badly played soccer, which is in itself a terrible game.

and that JaneyMac is how you fish!
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

sid wrote:And this is why Dublin should never be allowed win an All Ireland.
A similar thought crossed my mind.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup