Bath v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Bath v Leinster

Post by [Jackass] »

Very good few weeks, beat Munster, we got a draw in arguably our toughest pool game, BP win over Glasgow in Heineken Cup group, good away win in Treviso, massive BP win over Cardiff, top of the Pro12 going in to the last round of the year (pending Ospreys don't get a BP win over Munster and win by a cricket score) and now the back to back with Bath in Heineken Cup.

2 wins in the next 2 weeks would more or less get us out of the group, and have a home quarter well within our grasp.

So, going away first, how will we do? It's tough to be anything other than extremely confident as a Leinster fan at the moment, the young guys all really stepping up, particularly guys like Madigan, Dave Kearney & O'Malley.

Can't wait for the game. For what it's worth, I'd go with:

1. Healy
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Toner
6. O'Brien
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip

9. Boss
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Malley
14. McFadden
15. Nacewa

16. Cronin 17. Van Der Merwe 18. White 19. McLoughlin 20. R. Ruddock 21. Reddan 22. Madigan 23. D. Kearney

Have to say, only negative point for me is how poor Sykes has been, awful again at the weekend in a rout win for Leinster, mucking up 2 restarts summing up his night. I think Browne has done well, but McLoughlin gets second-row cover on basis of versatility. Madigan now showing he's cemented the back-up 10 jersey and is a superb option. As I said elsewhere, don't want to see Berquist taking that spot from him, hope he's just kept as emergency cover now.

I thought White did well, and is definitely ahead of Hagan, who still has a lot of work to do.

Competition for places is top notch. Cronin really holding his hand up right now, Strauss has done nothing wrong, and just about still holding the jersey, but Cronin trying to rip it off him. Rob Kearney now has to earn his place back, and is behind Nacewa and his bro Dave Kearney now, but ahead of Carr, who hasn't taken his chances yet (but still really hoping we hold on to him long term).

McFadden can't be dropped, he's done really really well, so shifted out to the wing, where he always does well, O'Malley now made the 13 jersey his own, having a superb run of form, and if he does well in these Heineken games and stands out like his has, in both attack and defence, he's a shoe in for the Irish 13 jersey in the 6 nations.

Great to have Fitzy back in great form and that is a tastey backline and subs bench. Boss in for his "away" factor and physicality, Toner has done very well this season and back-row picks it's self.

Bring it on, can't wait!
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Bath v Leinster

Post by Donny B. »

You wouldn't even have Rob Kearney in the match-day squad?

Harsh considering how well he played against Glasgow and won't happen anyway.

Would back your side with changes being Isa at 14, Rob K at 15 and Ferg at 23. Really tough on Ferg, I know, but O'Malley has just made a better fist of outside centre. Have a feeling Heinke might get nod at loosehead too and can't write off Locky and Seanie at flanker given how much Joe likes that combo.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Might even edge towards Cronin at hooker next week too. He's really laid down the gauntlet to Strauss, which is fantastic to see. His pace for the fourth try would shame a back!!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Ah Rob has done nothing wrong to be out of the match day squad, but just picking players I think are playing better. It's so ridiculos how good our backline depth is, that we could be missing guys like O'Driscoll, Horgan, Conway and Macken to injury, and still guys like Carr and possibly (by my choice anyway) Rob Kearney who can't get in the match day squad.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

It's a beautiful problem to have alright but it isn't just the backs, the forwards are giving it socks too. The battle between Cronin and Strauss is poised to be epic, with Leinster as the big winners!!! :D

And Macken isn't currently injured to the best of my knowledge.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Joe thinks Bath's 'sticky ground' might slow us down and create a tight affair!

Don't want to question your undoubted expertise Joey, but as a counter-argument I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9xQhWL ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdeUrn_Rvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QePdVw980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nEXs7R ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7-QAXMj_k
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

[Jackass] wrote: O'Malley now made the 13 jersey his own, having a superb run of form, and if he does well in these Heineken games and stands out like his has, in both attack and defence, he's a shoe in for the Irish 13 jersey in the 6 nations.
Agree 100% about O' Malley's form but i have a sinking feeling that no matter what happens between now and the 6 nations, as long as Earls is fit Deccie will pick him at 13!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

BlueStreak wrote:
[Jackass] wrote: O'Malley now made the 13 jersey his own, having a superb run of form, and if he does well in these Heineken games and stands out like his has, in both attack and defence, he's a shoe in for the Irish 13 jersey in the 6 nations.
Agree 100% about O' Malley's form but i have a sinking feeling that no matter what happens between now and the 6 nations, as long as Earls is fit Deccie will pick him at 13!
Dexie's Midnight Journalist says the "smart money" in on Earls at 13. It may be smart money but it's a dumb decision if Kidney goes ahead with it.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

Nothing new then
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

My team:

15. Isa Nacewa
14. Dave Kearney
13. Eoin O'Malley
12. Darcy
11. Fitzgerald
10.Jonny
9.Reddan
8. Jamie
7. Jenno
6. Seanie
5. Leo
4. Sykes
3. White
2. Cronin
1. Heinke

Think sykes quitely went about his work yesterday and did a good job, white and heinke playing much better than their irish counterparts. Cronin better than strauss recently as well
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

No Ross? Ah come one. White's great is the loose but he's not in Rossie's league in the scrum and Bath are a handy enough scrummaging team.

Also while Sykes was decent enough, Toner has been a lot better than that recently and deserves to start.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Donny B. wrote:Joe thinks Bath's 'sticky ground' might slow us down and create a tight affair!

Don't want to question your undoubted expertise Joey, but as a counter-argument I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9xQhWL ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdeUrn_Rvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QePdVw980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nEXs7R ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7-QAXMj_k
Yes- pretty good counter-argument. :clap:

No problem with any of the suggestions for the Bath match to date, but just wonder at the option of using Madigan at outide centre in a Pro 12 game in the near future. He really has something we could do with there for when the great man eventually goes.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:No Ross? Ah come one. White's great is the loose but he's not in Rossie's league in the scrum and Bath are a handy enough scrummaging team.

Also while Sykes was decent enough, Toner has been a lot better than that recently and deserves to start.
No they're not. They were beaten at home by Sale today too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Donny B. wrote:No Ross? Ah come one. White's great is the loose but he's not in Rossie's league in the scrum and Bath are a handy enough scrummaging team.

Completely disagree with you, White is better in the loose than Ross and better in the tight IMO. I think your Irish bias is blinding you a bit tbh
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If he's true to form with away games R.Kearney and Boss will start as will Ross, would prefer to see Jennings recalled ahead of McLaughlin
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Getting way ahead of myself here. But next weeks game is the hardest thing between now and the next Cardiff game.

I am hopeful that we will take a 13 game unbeaten run to Cardiff on the weekend of the 7th.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

cormac wrote:

No they're not. They were beaten at home by Sale today too.
i have watched nearly all their matches so far this season. their scrum is one of the worst in the AP by some distance. Not too shabby in the line out though.

They're seriously limited at the breakdown though - i expect us to make mince meat of them. Their accuracy in this area is very poor. Players just mill in without even looking where the ball is, and they very often get driven back and turned over - even against lesser teams like Exeter and Wocester.

Have to say though - of all the AP sides I like to watch Bath a lot. They like to play rugby. Not like the type of Northampton, Leicester or London Irish teams where there is a serious cynical mindset.

Apart from that, their defence is pretty effective (in the AP) off first phase ball, but their line speed deteriorates very quickly when you bring them through a couple of phases and they just revert to soak tackling. They adapt a very different defensive structure to Leinster. We defend narrowly, inviting teams to spread the ball wide then use the far touchline as an additional defender. They try to cover the whole width of the pitch with their first line of defence. I think we should be able to make hay against this type of defence. When they do find themselves defending in the wider channels their Wingers ALWAYS cut in to try to prevent the attack getting around them. Flooding this channel and some quick hands should be enough. Getting the ball out passed the 10-12 channels quickly will also nullify and defensive threat they have because they do not drift. Also - offloading from the tackle in midfield should cause them havoc because they're spread so thinly.

Finally - their kick chase is pretty good. However, their counter attack is so poor you would swear Declan Kidney was their coach. Whichever of their back 3 fields the kick will either return the kick or run themselves. None of their team mates track back and offer themselves. And they make the wrong decision (ie, kick or run) far too often.

Don't want to sound too cocky, and I like the club bath a lot, but losing really isn't am option.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

bluemagic wrote:

Completely disagree with you, White is better in the loose than Ross and better in the tight IMO. I think your Irish bias is blinding you a bit tbh
I thought the scrum improved when Ross came on last night. Ross held that scrum together when we were under the cosh with Leo in the bin (although he had that tank of a scrummager Dave Kearney behind him :wink: ). White is better in the loose but I'm not at all convinced he's better in the tight.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

bluemagic wrote:

His "Irish bias"! :shock: How dare he!!! :lol:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

artaneboy wrote:
bluemagic wrote:

His "Irish bias"! :shock: How dare he!!! :lol:
Ok that was a stupid thing to say but as much as I like ross hes not the greatest in the loose to say the least! more of a hinderance than a help! even if you disagree that white is a better scrummager surely his work in the loose more than qualifies him to start?