Leinster V Bath (return fixture)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster V Bath (return fixture)

Post by Donny B. »

Danthefan wrote:Didn't see D'Arcy being benched, but like the look of the team.

What's going on with Healy though?
Dunno. Looked in great form when he came on last week and was sure he'd start this week. Maybe he's carrying some small knock we don't know about.

Other than that I'm delighted with Jenno, Dev, Eoin and Reddan back in. I like the call to keep Ferg and drop Darce even if it's a little tough on him. Looking forward to a better balance at backrow and in the backline.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jeno starts 1st HC game in a year. Yaaay!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

wixfjord wrote:Bath team:

15 Sam Vesty :lol:

14 Jack Cuthbert

13 Matt Banahan :lol:

12 Olly Barkley

11 Nick Abendanon

10 Stephen Donald

9 Michael Claassens

1 David Flatman

2 Chris Biller

3 David Wilson

4 Dave Attwood

5 Ryan Caldwell

6 Francois Louw (c)

7 Guy Mercer

8 Simon Taylor

Replacements

16 Ross Batty

17 Nathan Catt

18 Anthony Perenise

19 Will Spencer

20 Andy Beattie

21 Chris Cook

22 Tom Heathcote

23 Ben Williams
Vesty at 15 and Banahan at 13. Thankfully, Geech has passed us his game plan before the match. Boot it up field and then try crashing Banahan up the middle
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Darce wrote:
Vesty at 15 and Banahan at 13. Thankfully, Geech has passed us his game plan before the match. Boot it up field and then try crashing Banahan up the middle
With Hipkiss out, the only other option would be Vesty at 13 and as you were.

Him Barkley and Donald would be like 3 x 10s in midfield.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

D'Arcy is unlucky to miss out but I think Ferg and O'Malley is the future. Joe is really managing the squad this year, lots of rotation. I'm surprised with Healy but they may be nursing him back given he played a lot of games in the world cup and looked tired there. It's great to have players who can do a job like VDM, hopefully healy can come on and go nuts for the last half hour.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Donny B. wrote:

Dunno. Looked in great form when he came on last week and was sure he'd start this week. Maybe he's carrying some small knock we don't know about.
He tweeted yesterday evening that he'd had a shite day. I thought then that he mightn't be starting.

He was very niggley when he returned from the WC - maybe JS & JG are telling him to cut out the needless penalties?
A proud Winsome Fluter
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

He tweeted yesterday evening that he'd had a shite day. I thought then that he mightn't be starting.

He was very niggley when he returned from the WC - maybe JS & JG are telling him to cut out the needless penalties?
Did anyone catch a reference by Fitzpatrick on SKY last week (after the match) that Healy had been "a naughty boy" and that's why he wasn't starting? Could have totally misheard the guy, so just wondering!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Very happy with that team. Great to see Jenno in and really looking forward to see O'Malley under the lights at Aviva. Tough on Darcy who i think had a good game last week but great that the squad has such options. Roll on kick off I'm off to put my boxers on the radiator 8)
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

He was very niggley when he returned from the WC - maybe JS & JG are telling him to cut out the needless TWEETING?
Fixed that for ya!!!
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

hugonaut wrote: I'd like to see Kev get some gametime in the second row at this level, maybe the last 20mins or so. Bath played both their second rows for the full 80mins in the last game, and neither are huge powerhouses – I don't think Kev would suffer by comparison if he came on, and we'd really be able to up the tempo with Cronin, Nathan White, Jenno and Kev coming off the bench. Wouldn't mind seeing Rhys Ruddock start on the blindside, he has put in some good performances this season at the head of some weakened teams during the World Cup, and I think he deserves a start. Big ask for him to go up against Francois Louw, but I think he needs the test.

Fergus McFadden had a very strong game on Sunday, I felt. He's got waaaaay more pace than D'Arcy these days, and I think there are line breaks to be made in the Donald/Barkley channel. Darce doesn't seem to trust his pace at all anymore, he hasn't put the hammer down in space for a season. He had a good game in the Rec though, and Joe is obviously a fan. Bit harsh to leave him out, but it'd be good to see McFadden and O'Malley playing as a combination at this level.

Starting XV
R Kearney; I Nacewa; E O'Malley; F McFadden; L Fitzgerald; J Sexton; E Reddan; J Heaslip; S O'Brien; R Ruddock; D Toner; L Cullen; M Ross; R Strauss; C Healy
Subs
G D'Arcy; I Madigan; I Boss; S Jennings; K McLoughlin; N White; S Cronin; H van der Merwe
Half-wrong, half-right with my prediction. Surprised not to see Cian start, but that is a hell of a lot of pace to bring on in the front five if the game opens up - we all saw how quick Nathan White was with his try against Cardiff, Cian and Cronin have incredible pace for front-rowers, add Locky and Ruddock to the mix ... if things go right for us in the first hour, we could really see some high-paced stuff in the last twenty minutes.

Eoin O'Malley will need to put in a huge defensive performance against Banahan. He has done a similar job before against Rougerie in Clermont, but it's by no means a fait accompli this time around. Banahan dwarfs him.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

That has been a problem alright but from what I could see, I thought he looked very sharp and disciplined last week.

I've heard that he's carrying an arse injury. Seriously! :D
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Did anyone catch a reference by Fitzpatrick on SKY last week (after the match) that Healy had been "a naughty boy" and that's why he wasn't starting? Could have totally misheard the guy, so just wondering!
He could have been talking about the scrap he had with Tito in the Cardiff game. I don't remember any controversial incidents involving Ciano last week.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Donny B. wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
He could have been talking about the scrap he had with Tito in the Cardiff game. I don't remember any controversial incidents involving Ciano last week.
Yeah, I hadn't heard it anywhere else so I assume either me or Fitzpatrick got the wrong end of the stick (my moneys on him :D )
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

I said fock all Grumpy. And I wouldn't do it either, unless I was on the phone from the south pacific.......Maybe
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

Donny B. wrote:

Other than that I'm delighted with Jenno, Dev, Eoin and Reddan back in. I like the call to keep Ferg and drop Darce even if it's a little tough on him. Looking forward to a better balance at backrow and in the backline.

It said on the Radio that Darcy has an injury niggle which might explain Fergus to 12 as Darcy was one of our best performers at the Rec
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

Pleased with that side - most especially O'Malley
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

In a major golf tournament the Saturday is called 'moving day', in that the players who are going to contend move into position and others drop away. The fourth week of the Heineken Cup pool stages is quite similar. By the end of it, everyone has a good idea of who's going to get out of their groups and who can basically concentrate on their domestic competition for the rest of the season.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
Yeah, I hadn't heard it anywhere else so I assume either me or Fitzpatrick got the wrong end of the stick (my moneys on him :D )
I heard it was because Healy broke his twitter curfew of no tweets after 24hrs before the game.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Really happy with that team. Looking forward to seeing the midfield partnership with the rest of the first 15 around them. That pairing is the future, so it's great to see them starting a HEC game together.

Great to see Jenno back in (as expected) and Reddan. Two key operators to our game.

Fair play Dev getting the start, confusing to know what the favoured combinations in second row are. McLoughlin now back to covering second row from bench?

Surprised at Healy not starting, but fair enough if it's a knock.

That's some bench! And great to see no one is "un-droppable" with D'Arcy not getting the nod this time. (not that I want to see D'Arcy dropped), but squad management is brilliant and throws up lots of great combinations.

Very excited for this game, hope we lay down a marker.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Is the first game in about 11 years that none of the galacticos are playing?
changing of the guard !!