John Hayes

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

John Hayes

Post by Mauler »

This weekend see's John Hayes play his last game for Munster. He was one of the generation of Irish players who helped make our sport into what it is today. Enjoy your retirement Bull and thanks for all those memories in the Green of Ireland, Red of Munster and Black and Blue of Shannon. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A nice piece by Quinnie in todays Irish Times

The first time Hayes and I played against each other, the try was still only worth four points. Clanwilliam beat Bruff in a Munster Junior Cup match back in 1992 and Hayes was playing second-row. He was useless that day, clearly a man with the footballing ability for the front row and nowhere else.

Over time, we became team-mates at Shannon and Munster and Ireland and got to be very close friends. Myself, himself and Mick Galwey always seemed to drift towards each other.

If Shannon were after playing a game in Dublin, the three of us would go down to Kilkenny with Gaillimh for the night afterwards.

Hayes was a terrible drinker for a man his size and you’d often see him reduced to sleeping standing up in a pub – you could nearly mistake him for a pillar holding up the ceiling. At the end of the night, we’d head to the chipper and Hayes would gather up all the scraps on the tables and eat them while he was waiting in the queue.

Although he was never much of a drinker at all, he gave it up altogether a few years ago.

I always said it made him more boring, but it was because when it came to playing for Munster and Ireland, he was just so professional.

The whole of Ireland can see that he had no interest in attention, that all he ever wanted was to get on with the job. He’s very humble and respectful and all the things most people think he is, but he’s very funny too and he’d do anything for you.

And I do mean anything.

When I had my dislocated shoulder in Australia during the 2003 World Cup, I couldn’t reach around to wash my own back.

Hayes never blinked – he scrubbed my back for me for the rest of that tournament. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty.

I’ll be there for his send-off on Monday and, hopefully, we’ll be able to slip off and have a quiet pint when it’s all over.

It’s Christmas, after all.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 38090.html
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Re: John Hayes

Post by ruck »

The word legend is thrown around so much these days, it's been rendered almost meaningless.
We need a new word for the great man. One of the last of the real old school of rugby. A true gent and just all round great man.
Thanks for the memories Bull.
I am the one who knocks!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

This has felt like the most drawn out career finish ever. It feels like people have been going on about it forever.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Experimental
Knowledgeable

The Bull finally hanging up his boots

Post by Experimental »

Just read this :

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... r-swansong

The Bull was an amazing servant to Irish rugby and will be missed. Long live The Bull !

:clap: :clap: :clap:
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

CiaranIrl wrote:It feels like people have been going on about it forever.
Yeah but not him because he is a class act and an all round decent person by all accounts who gave it his all anytime he pulled on a jersey of a hue and then went back to milking the cows without a bother. Even hung on in there delivering the goods at provincial and national level when he was clearly past his prime, and should of been getting on with what I can only assume is a busy life outside of rugby, because his team needed him and he'd take one for the team.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Bull finally hanging up his boots

Post by enby »

Well said.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

TerenureJim wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:It feels like people have been going on about it forever.
Yeah but not him because he is a class act and an all round decent person by all accounts who gave it his all anytime he pulled on a jersey of a hue and then went back to milking the cows without a bother. Even hung on in there delivering the goods at provincial and national level when he was clearly past his prime, and should of been getting on with what I can only assume is a busy life outside of rugby, because his team needed him and he'd take one for the team.
He really is a rare find, it really is incredible and a real testiment to the man that he managed to play in probably the most physically demanding position on the pitch for so long at such a high level. Especially given his height and weight. The pressure on his back and joints both in the scrum and around the field.

He rarely suffered injury, and but for 1 blip, he had an incredible dissaplinary record.

A true gent and a true legend, he is a player who will be talked about for many years
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Re: The Bull finally hanging up his boots

Post by Blue not red blood »

Credit where credits due.
The most unassuming man who ever wore a jersey. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Munster have his last training session in Bruff, photo via RTE rugby. Lovely touch, one the big man clearly appreciated.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I consider it a genuine honour to say that I was at Twickenham last year when he won his 100th Irish cap. A magnificent achievement for, by all accounts, a magnificent guy.

When we beat England in 2001 to deny them a Grand Slam (Foot and Mouth delayed the playing of the match until the Autumn) I decided to go autograph hunting. There must have been at least 100 people at the players enterance. He signed every single autograph book thrust in front of him and when somone passed him a phone to say hi to his little brother who couldn't make the game, he chatted on the phone for at least 1 minute.

A real, real touch of class. May he have a long and happy retirement. Thanks for the memories Bull :clap: :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

A fine player and by all accounts a fine man too.
Enjoy your retirement and thanks for the memories (esp Croke Park) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Call me harsh but when I hear any so-called rugby fan say "John Hayes could never scrummage, he was shite!" I instantly dismiss them as clowns, people who buy into headlines more than the actual truth.

John Hayes was a man who wasn't born to play tight-head prop in any team, let alone his country's.

The man was six foot four and as anyone who's actually played the position will tell you, the max was six foot even!

Yet somehow he trained himself to take the strain and the pain and was a rock the Irish pack could depend on for over a decade.

Hard as nails but never a bully, he was as honest a player you could get in the game.

A true hero, he avoided the limelight as much as possible, but his team-mates always appreciated him.

I hope he enjoys his retirement!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Donny B. on December 24th, 2011, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

The man is indestructible. You could take a shovel to him and you would only bend it. He would probably smile sheepishly at you and give out to you for damaging a decent shovel.

Never injured :shock: Considering all the games he played. I think he played the most consecutive tests for Ireland. Some record.

Also. He is a proper Irish man. Pathologically afraid of the limelight. He disappeared back to the farm after the Grand Slam rather than go on a stage in Dawson st.

He is probably dreading the game on Monday and all the attention.

True Hero and Legend. You won't see his like again.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

CiaranIrl wrote:This has felt like the most drawn out career finish ever. It feels like people have been going on about it forever.
But it doesn't make him any less deserving of our respect.

One of the finest men to grace Irish rugby, and that's not something I say lightly. And having heard numerous stories about his actions off the field over the years (one of which I was going to point out, but it's not appropriate) I have no doubt that other than being one of the most committed servants to Irish rugby, he's a damn fine gent and a really good guy.

Re what Donny said, this is my only complaint. The guy gave everything when he was on the field, and perhaps his career being dragged out a bit tainted his legacy. Anyone who said he couldn't scruammage missed about 10 years of Irish rugby, but sadly Irish rugby did ask for every last ounce out of the man, which he gladly gave, but probably wasn't fair to him.

But I'm glad he gets such a positive and most importantly, personal send off, and he has no where to hide on that Thomond pitch when he runs out on his own before the team or when he's substituted around the 60 minute mark, he'll be forced to face the gratitude from a hell of a lot of adoring fans, and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Best of luck to the bull, and thanks for all the memories.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

When it comes to strength and durability, Hayes record stands on its own. Over a long period of low standards in tightheads in Ireland, he's been by far the best. At the same time I don't think his best form in his entire career ever approached Mike Ross over the last 2 seasons.

Partly that's down to the changing role of the tighthead within the pack, partly down to the wider changes in the game and also down to the way players were ranked at the time. Ireland adopted a strategy that involved using converted locks as oversized tightheads. There were advantages and disadvantages, and in that context he was the right man for the job.

There were a lot of games where I enjoyed watching him play, but if he's a legend, he's a legend for being the best of a bad bunch rather than for keeping serious players out of the team. I hope he enjoys his well earned-retirement.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

ronk wrote:When it comes to strength and durability, Hayes record stands on its own. Over a long period of low standards in tightheads in Ireland, he's been by far the best. At the same time I don't think his best form in his entire career ever approached Mike Ross over the last 2 seasons.

Partly that's down to the changing role of the tighthead within the pack, partly down to the wider changes in the game and also down to the way players were ranked at the time. Ireland adopted a strategy that involved using converted locks as oversized tightheads. There were advantages and disadvantages, and in that context he was the right man for the job.

There were a lot of games where I enjoyed watching him play, but if he's a legend, he's a legend for being the best of a bad bunch rather than for keeping serious players out of the team. I hope he enjoys his well earned-retirement.
Other than Hayes, who was a converted second row turned tight head?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Eh. Mushy
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Timmy Ryan played at lock too at underage.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If Damien Browne had been in Munster, he''d have been put under pressure to become a tighthead. But Connacht has a tradition of using power locks and Browne got a good job in France where big abrasive locks are highly valued.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ronk you are a sad little man, wind your neck in and show some respect to one of irish rugby's greatest servants.

He was never a destructive t/h but he was solid for most of his career. As well as giving ireland a solid scrum, he offered more around the field and in the lineout that most t/h's to have played the game.

This is time to show respect where it is due, not drag a player down.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.