"This is not soccer"

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

"This is not soccer"

Post by deco »

Good man Nigel :happy clapper: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUF9LSXAkY

Apologies if this has been put up elsewhere
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: "This is not soccer"

Post by nelly the elephant »

deco wrote:Good man Nigel :happy clapper: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUF9LSXAkY

Apologies if this has been put up elsewhere
It's certainly been mentioned alright......class moment.....a highlight of the Munster/Treviso game for me! :D
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Typical grandstanding from Owens, playing to the gallery!

No ref gets more satisfaction from giving out lectures.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:Typical grandstanding from Owens, playing to the gallery!

I'll see your Nigel and Raise you a James L Jones!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

There should be more of this sorta thing - or better still ... just ban that joke of a past time and be done with it. Nice one Nigel!!!
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I'm not one to be criticizing Referees or their decisions, but I tend to agree with you on this Donny, Nigel certainly seems to be enjoying the attention his "chat" has raised.
Get in the f%~king bag.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Reminds me of Wayne Barnes a few years back giving a lecture to Steve Borthwick and Martin Corry about how as England players they should be setting an example.

I did try and find the video but it seems to have been removed due to good old copyright laws
dave13
Bookworm

Post by dave13 »

In fact over the years, the more outlandish what he says/does on the field(ie when he brought both teams(all 30 players) in for a huddle in a game last year), the worse his general level of refereeing has gotten.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

haters gonna hate.

Nigel did the right thing there, and did it well.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Logorrhea wrote:haters gonna hate.

Nigel did the right thing there, and did it well.
I agree.

I did especially like the "I dont know if we've met before, but I'm the referee" :lol:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I really enjoyed during a Welsh derby a few years ago when he pretended to listen to the scrummie (I think), nodded and said "do you really think so?" and after the reply said "well that's why I'll never make an international scrum half and you'll never make a referee".

Doesn't mean that I don't hate seeing him listed as the ref when we're playing because I do not approve of his reffing of the game itself. I think his communication is good, it's just his spotting stuff on the field that's a bit off.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

this is pure class.
reminds me of one or two teachers from my formative years.

his interpretation and application of the laws may be questionable at times but at least everybody knows where they stand.

and i pray to jeebus we don't get him for any of o0ur remaining HEC matches in 2012.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Slipper1 wrote:

I'm not one to be criticizing Referees or their decisions, but I tend to agree with you on this Donny, Nigel certainly seems to be enjoying the attention his "chat" has raised.
You can almost picture him running back to the dressing room to check his twitter account for the reaction!
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

This one stand out in my mind too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvhhd36fxPw
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Bit obnoxious of Owens. You can communicate well without having to try and turn in a performance. John Lacey, for example, is a great communicator throughout games in my opinion. Clear, concise, no bull and the players know where they stand without the attention seeking. For someone who loved the sound of his own voice, look no further than the great Tony Spreadbury.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:Bit obnoxious of Owens. You can communicate well without having to try and turn in a performance. John Lacey, for example, is a great communicator throughout games in my opinion. Clear, concise, no bull and the players know where they stand without the attention seeking. For someone who loved the sound of his own voice, look no further than the great Tony Spreadbury.
Speaders to me was the David Brent of referees. He really just wanted someone, anyone to talk to! :D
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

So what exactly is the problem? Is it the fact he uses social media you dislike? The fact he told the scrumhalf to shut up? Or the fact that it was amusing?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Logorrhea wrote:So what exactly is the problem? Is it the fact he uses social media you dislike? The fact he told the scrumhalf to shut up? Or the fact that it was amusing?
The fact that this is typical of his attention-seeking antics. I wonder if he would have been the same if it was a more well-known player from a bigger team. Sure Peter Stringer never shut his gob in his Munster days and I don't recall Owens giving him a similar lecture.

I just wish he'd spend less time on Twitter/Facebook and thinking of lectures to make himself the 'big man' and more time studying the laws of the game so he didn't make so many appalling mistakes.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote: Sure Peter Stringer never shut his gob in his Munster days and I don't recall Owens giving him a similar lecture.
But Spreaders did - Strings appealed so much in one game that Spreaders ended up saying something along the lines of 'come on Pete - it's not cricket'
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Sure Peter Stringer never shut his gob in his Munster days and I don't recall Owens giving him a similar lecture.
But Spreaders did - Strings appealed so much in one game that Spreaders ended up saying something along the lines of 'come on Pete - it's not cricket'
Sounds like Spreaders alright.