Nathan Hines is leaving

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

kendalgerty
Graduate

Re: Nathan Hines is leaving

Post by kendalgerty »

olaf the fat wrote:I did not realise that was his first try for us!

He has been great for us. We will miss him next season.
He should have had another one v Clermont, when he touched down but Owens called held up without going upstairs.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Scott wrote:How i miss him so.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... soVSySmqjI
That's skulldugerry raised to the level of an art. :shock: :clap: :clap:

Nathan, how did we let you go without at least a march on the IRFU offices?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Whatever about Hines' sly tricks which we'd have been apoplectic about, Wannenburg is a lucky boy not to have been cited for the straight punch to Hines' eye about 8 seconds in. There was a nice shiner coming up within minutes on the big man.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ceemec wrote:Whatever about Hines' sly tricks which we'd have been apoplectic about, Wannenburg is a lucky boy not to have been cited for the straight punch to Hines' eye about 8 seconds in. There was a nice shiner coming up within minutes on the big man.
Maybe he sensed Nathan's imminent contribution to that 'try'! :) Can't say that I or- I imagine Hines, was outraged by it.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Scott wrote:How i miss him so.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... soVSySmqjI
Nice bit of gamesmanship.

Just had a luck At Hines' twitter, he got some about of abuse/insults about this and the blocking incident.

In fairness to him he takes it all well with a good sense of humour

Example:

bigross1970 RossMcEntegart

@wagga5 #NathanHines -
2 of the most cynical, unsportsmanlike acts I've ever seen. Deserved 2 yellow cards. #leinsterrugby well rid of you
21 Jan
in reply to ↑

@Wagga5
Nathan Hines
@bigross1970 Munsterfan?
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

That's well funny
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
D4Blue
Beginner

Post by D4Blue »

I was wondering how in heck the ref not only missed what Hines was doing but also the 2 or three Ulster players shouting to him and pointing... until i saw who the ref was.
RichardP wrote: "BLAME kIDNEY"
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

What an absolute legend
:clap: :happy clapper: :clap: :happy clapper: :clap:
LEINSTER pour toujours
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Of course if he hadn't been forced out by the brains trust at the IRFU, we wouldn't have all the hassle with Sykes and needing to recruit Thorn.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Donny B. wrote:Of course if he hadn't been forced out by the brains trust at the IRFU, we wouldn't have all the hassle with Sykes and needing to recruit Thorn.
+1

At the risk of name dropping, I was talking to him last May and he was genuinely upset at having to go. He really wanted to stay at Leinster.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

simplythebest wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Of course if he hadn't been forced out by the brains trust at the IRFU, we wouldn't have all the hassle with Sykes and needing to recruit Thorn.
+1

At the risk of name dropping, I was talking to him last May and he was genuinely upset at having to go. He really wanted to stay at Leinster.
Ah it was pretty well-known how much he liked it here alright.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

The IRFU had a very valid point in not re-signing him, he would just have turned 35 in November after returning home from the RWC and then he possibly would have been involved in the Scotland 6N team. I know that he subsequently retired from International rugby after the RWC, but perhaps it was part of his 2 year deal with Clermont that he called it quits from International rugby to concentrate on playing just for them in the Top14?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Mauler wrote:The IRFU had a very valid point in not re-signing him, he would just have turned 35 in November after returning home from the RWC and then he possibly would have been involved in the Scotland 6N team. I know that he subsequently retired from International rugby after the RWC, but perhaps it was part of his 2 year deal with Clermont that he called it quits from International rugby to concentrate on playing just for them in the Top14?
Him being involved in the 6N is a valid enough reason, paying him to go play for Scotland for a few months isn't really good business I suppose.

But a question I've asked a couple of times, why is his age in any way relevant?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Mauler wrote:The IRFU had a very valid point in not re-signing him, he would just have turned 35 in November after returning home from the RWC and then he possibly would have been involved in the Scotland 6N team. I know that he subsequently retired from International rugby after the RWC, but perhaps it was part of his 2 year deal with Clermont that he called it quits from International rugby to concentrate on playing just for them in the Top14?
In fairness during last seasons Six Nations, Hines only actually missed two games for us.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Read Leo's book at the weekend, Hines come accross very, very well in it. Seems to have made a big impression with Leo in two short seasons, contract discussions and his hope to stay in Leinster and Leo's hope to have him there coupled with the IRFU mucking it up just added to saddness that he's probably going to be playing against us in a HEC Semi-Final.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

TerenureJim wrote:Read Leo's book at the weekend, Hines come accross very, very well in it. Seems to have made a big impression with Leo in two short seasons, contract discussions and his hope to stay in Leinster and Leo's hope to have him there coupled with the IRFU mucking it up just added to saddness that he's probably going to be playing against us in a HEC Semi-Final.

as much as i miss hines and want him to do well i hope you are wong on this one

i hate having to cheer on saracens
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

TerenureJim wrote:Read Leo's book at the weekend, Hines come accross very, very well in it. Seems to have made a big impression with Leo in two short seasons, contract discussions and his hope to stay in Leinster and Leo's hope to have him there coupled with the IRFU mucking it up just added to saddness that he's probably going to be playing against us in a HEC Semi-Final.

A thorough professional, would love to know what he said when he addressed the team.
Hope we get Saracens, if not I doubt we'll get past Clermont in France.
3 Gold Stars
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

'Leinster's match against Toulouse last season was the fastest and hardest game I'd ever played. I walked past Clément Poitrenaud [Toulouse full-back] who was looking shattered. "This game is so fast. I'm gone", he said. I was gone as well, but I wasn't going to tell him. These big Heineken games are do or die. It's international rugby without the jersey.'

Nathan Hines in today's Sunday Times. No axe to grind, no particular reason to voice anything other than his genuine opinion.

Given that Hines has played in three World Cups, a decade's worth of Six Nations and a Lions tour, I think that statement carries huge weight. He didn't say it was comparable to international rugby, he said it was the toughest game he'd ever played. The idea that all international rugby is necessarily a standard above club rugby is laughable.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:'Leinster's match against Toulouse last season was the fastest and hardest game I'd ever played. I walked past Clément Poitrenaud [Toulouse full-back] who was looking shattered. "This game is so fast. I'm gone", he said. I was gone as well, but I wasn't going to tell him. These big Heineken games are do or die. It's international rugby without the jersey.'

Nathan Hines in today's Sunday Times. No axe to grind, no particular reason to voice anything other than his genuine opinion.

Given that Hines has played in three World Cups, a decade's worth of Six Nations and a Lions tour, I think that statement carries huge weight. He didn't say it was comparable to international rugby, he said it was the toughest game he'd ever played. The idea that all international rugby is necessarily a standard above club rugby is laughable.
Ah but in fairness, most HEC games are not as high standard as that. That was an incredible game.
Yesterday was Rabo standard, if not worse, and you couldn't say that any of the group games got anywhere near int standard.

Fookin love Nathan Hines though!