Isa - The complete performance

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Re: Isa - The complete performance

Post by Mauler »

blues_fan wrote:Every time I caught a match last season bubs was in the middle of everything. Not quite so much this season.
He's been playing on the wing in our H Cup games this season, so has not been quite as involved in general play as he was at 15 last season while R Kearney was injured.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

It was a complete performance worthy of the standing ovation from the crowd when he was taken off, but how come we were able to make that extra substitution at the end when we'd already used up all 7 subs? I know Carr came back on but how could we make that last substitution?
Is there no limit to how many players can be put on or taken off?
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Eristic wrote:It was a complete performance worthy of the standing ovation from the crowd when he was taken off, but how come we were able to make that extra substitution at the end when we'd already used up all 7 subs? I know Carr came back on but how could we make that last substitution?
Is there no limit to how many players can be put on or taken off?
Carr went off for a blood sub. He was straight down the tunnel to be cleaned up.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

blues_fan wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
blues_fan wrote:Yeah he was great this week, but he's been relatively quiet this season. Have only seen about 1/2 the matches this season however. Hope he starts smashing it during the business end of the season.
Eh...if you haven't seen the matches how do you know he's been quiet? :D
Yeah I could have worded that better. Relative to last season where I managed to catch a similar number of games, my assessment of his season has been: quiet.

Every time I caught a match last season bubs was in the middle of everything. Not quite so much this season.
As Mauler said, he's been moved back to the wing to accommodate the return on Rob Kearney, who's been in excellent form it must be said. It did take him a couple of games to re-adjust to the wing, but he's been pretty excellent in everything he's been asked to do since.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

It's very easy to forget that Isa is 5'11" and around 85-90kg. In rugby terms, he's a whippet. When you consider the size advantage he gives up on most players today, at a position like 15 where there's no hiding, he really is an incredibly committed, intelligent player.

The ball-in-hand stuff he pulls off is what makes him a fan favourite, but he puts in some monster hits and kills a lot of opposition attacks with his determination and awareness. It's a part of his game that isn't called on as much from the wing, I think that's a bit of a waste.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jezzer wrote:It's very easy to forget that Isa is 5'11" and around 85-90kg. In rugby terms, he's a whippet. When you consider the size advantage he gives up on most players today, at a position like 15 where there's no hiding, he really is an incredibly committed, intelligent player.

The ball-in-hand stuff he pulls off is what makes him a fan favourite, but he puts in some monster hits and kills a lot of opposition attacks with his determination and awareness. It's a part of his game that isn't called on as much from the wing, I think that's a bit of a waste.
Anyone got a link to his monster hit on the caveman in the early mins of Leinster v Racing?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Peg Leg wrote:
jezzer wrote:It's very easy to forget that Isa is 5'11" and around 85-90kg. In rugby terms, he's a whippet. When you consider the size advantage he gives up on most players today, at a position like 15 where there's no hiding, he really is an incredibly committed, intelligent player.

Anyone got a link to his monster hit on the caveman in the early mins of Leinster v Racing?
At the end of this clip where Chabal mullers Heaslip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxHAwxD ... re=related
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jezzer wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

At the end of this clip where Chabal mullers Heaslip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxHAwxD ... re=related
Cheers Jezzer- That is class!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Isa's on newstalk now!
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Great interview there with Isa on Newstalk.

First of all Gilroy is a great interviewer, but Isa is really a class act.
Said all the right things, put a little pressure on the IRFU over the whole NIQ issue, but didn't directly address it, and just came across a guy you'd love to have a pint with.

ALSO HE SAID IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, HE WANTS TO FINISH HIS CAREER HERE! :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
billbo2003
Beginner

Post by billbo2003 »

Top 5 imports in Leinster history 5 Stan Wright 4 Felipe Contepomi 3 Rocky Elsom 2 Keith Gleeson 1 Isa Nacewa. Damn foreigners ruining Irish rugby :-)
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

bluemagic wrote:Isa's on newstalk now!

great interview. it's up on the website now
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scott wrote:

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenbacks/popup

Newstalk Sport. Part 1 about 10 mins in.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

billbo2003 wrote:Top 5 imports in Leinster history 5 Stan Wright 4 Felipe Contepomi 3 Rocky Elsom 2 Keith Gleeson 1 Isa Nacewa. Damn foreigners ruining Irish rugby :-)
Don't know if you can really call Gleeson an import given his strong Leinster roots and the fact that he was born in Dublin. I agree that he was superb for us though. Hard to believe that he's been retired for 4 years but is still only 35.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

billbo2003 wrote:Top 5 imports in Leinster history 5 Stan Wright 4 Felipe Contepomi 3 Rocky Elsom 2 Keith Gleeson 1 Isa Nacewa. Damn foreigners ruining Irish rugby :-)
I think I'd be looking to squeeze Holwell and Ollie in there somewhere. Ollie not least for the continued contact and influence in signing the likes of Strauss. He's the gift that keeps on giving!
Summer is ready when you are

Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

johng wrote:
Scott wrote:

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenbacks/popup

Newstalk Sport. Part 1 about 10 mins in.
Excellent - thanks John - was just about to go looking for it :D
Summer is ready when you are

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Eve wrote:
I think I'd be looking to squeeze Holwell and Ollie in there somewhere. Ollie not least for the continued contact and influence in signing the likes of Strauss. He's the gift that keeps on giving!
Yeah, I'll never forget that fateful day in Lansdowne Road in 2005 when Holwell tried valiantly to play Leicester on his own. Not the most talented player ever to wear our number 10 shirt, but quite possibly the most committed.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
billbo2003
Beginner

Post by billbo2003 »

Eve wrote:
Yeah I was humming and hawing on Holwell just got edged out coz of Stan was about for so long and solidified 2 positions when asked
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Given he was IQ its hard to include Keith Gleeson and I'd have to make room for Hines in any list of effective imports....
Four Stars