Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

Post by Mauler »

Interesting article in the Times ...

US INSURER Liberty Mutual has held talks with the Royal Dublin Society about acquiring the naming rights to the RDS’s main arena, which hosts Leinster’s home rugby matches and the annual Dublin Horse Show.

The RDS is believed to be seeking about €15 million for the rights for a period of 10 years.

These funds would be used to help fund a €17 million redevelopment of the existing stadium into a 23,000 capacity arena from the current 18,500.

In turn, this would help to fund the “foundation” activities of the RDS, which includes funding for the arts, and science and technology.

The RDS intends to knock the existing, and ageing, two-storey Anglesea Stand and replace it with a new structure offering modern hospitality and spectator facilities.

Liberty is on a short list of potential sponsors that the RDS is negotiating with. Dubai-based airline Emirates has also been linked with the rights.

In May, RDS chief executive Michael Duffy said it was negotiating with four parties.

The US insurer has made no secret of its desire to secure sponsorship to help build recognition of its brand here since its takeover of Quinn Insurance in late 2011 and its rebranding of the business earlier this year. It is also believed to be in talks with RTÉ about sponsoring the Late Late Show.

The talks on the RDS naming rights are being handled by Platinum One, the event management group headed by Fintan Drury.

The RDS hosts most of Leinster’s home games and has hosted the province’s junior and senior rugby schools cup finals.

It hosts the Dublin Horse Show each August, which attracts about 100,000 spectators.

The RDS’s main arena also hosts outdoor concerts, with Bruce Springsteen playing to sell-out crowds last month

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fin ... 61775.html
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

Post by mikey »

Lansdowne will always be just that, and the RDS just the RDS......15 million for that - Jesus!! They must be desperate
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

mikey wrote:Lansdowne will always be just that, and the RDS just the RDS......15 million for that - Jesus!! They must be desperate
Aviva paid more than double that - and the current market is a lot tougher. The RDS would have more events too

http://www.herald.ie/news/lansdowne-to- ... 14896.html
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mikey wrote:Lansdowne will always be just that, and the RDS just the RDS......15 million for that - Jesus!! They must be desperate
Nearly everyone calls it the Aviva though. I try not to, but I've slipped into it too.

Surely we can't call it The Liberty Stadium though, what with the hairsprays stadium called that?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

"The Liberty Mutual Stadium"

/vomit
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Nearly everyone calls it the Aviva though. I try not to, but I've slipped into it too.

Surely we can't call it The Liberty Stadium though, what with the hairsprays stadium called that?
Good point

Holy cr@p they will be buying tanning products next
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I was hoping Bails would tell us that it's actually going to be named Liberty Lion's Den and Leinster were officially going back to the Lions moniker and changing the branch name to Leinster's Liberty Lions [LLL].
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

CiaranIrl wrote:

:evil: - does Mauler still have his wall in operation??? :wink:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Anything is better than the ROYAL Dublin Society. Playing in a stadium with that name doesn't help Leinster rugby's effort in shaking off its West Brit image.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

dropkick wrote:Anything is better than the ROYAL Dublin Society. Playing in a stadium with that name doesn't help Leinster rugby's effort in shaking off its West Brit image.

I think you'll find that the only people who give a feck about that are more concerned with the shape of their tin foil caps
I have Bumbleflex
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

dropkick wrote:Anything is better than the ROYAL Dublin Society. Playing in a stadium with that name doesn't help Leinster rugby's effort in shaking off its West Brit image.

Disliking a name of a stadium because of of it's philanthropist past is a pretty poor arguement.

Personally I thought we had an image of expansive back play, with a few Limerick men thinking otherwise
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Jesus H Christ, fuh real...??

Bridge - Build - Move Over.

21st Century still not reached parts of Munster I see ..... :roll:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

tones wrote: :evil: - does Mauler still have his wall in operation??? :wink:
As one of Dropkicks mates would say 'We've not gone away you know.'
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

gfo wrote:The Queen Elizabeth II Fúck Off Shinners Arena
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

lets be glad it wont be 'Quinn Direct into my Offshore Account Stadium'
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Ray Mc
Learner

Post by Ray Mc »

Presumably if Dropkick gets into trouble on the River Lee, he will not want to be saved by a lifeboat from the ROYAL N.L.I.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It doesn't bother me. The point I'm making is that Leinster have been trying to drop their D4 sterotype so renaming the stadium might help a bit.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

dropkick wrote:It doesn't bother me. The point I'm making is that Leinster have been trying to drop their D4 sterotype so renaming the stadium might help a bit.

I think the ony place the D4 stereotype persists is in the posts of the Munster fans who post on this board. For everyone else the Leister stereotype is exhilerating rugby and 3 Heineken Cup wins...
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

mikey wrote:
dropkick wrote:It doesn't bother me. The point I'm making is that Leinster have been trying to drop their D4 sterotype so renaming the stadium might help a bit.

I think the ony place the D4 stereotype persists is in the posts of the Munster fans who post on this board. For everyone else the Leister stereotype is exhilerating rugby and 3 Heineken Cup wins...
The best place to find out would be asking Leinster GAA fans what they think.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yes, why don't we.

Donny, Limecat, Avenger, what do you think?
I have Bumbleflex