Troy Jaques 4 Leo Cullen

Olivier Brouzet 5 Aidan McCullen

Alexandre Audebert 6 Eric Miller

Olivier Magne 7 Keith Gleeson

Marc Raynaud 8 Victor Costello

Dave Von Hoesslin 16 David Quinlan

Eric Lecomte 17 Nathan Spooner

Jan Machacek 18 Gavin Hickie

AS Clermont Montferrand 20 - 23 Leinster rugby.
Std Marcel Michelin Att: 10,000

After the bad news about Isa and Rob, I needed a little cheering up, and I remember this game very foundly. My hero, Denis Hickie(the only player I ever met and was mute, totally star struck) scored the wining try in injury time, rounding Richard Cockerill with a hand to his ear. Cockerill had been Sledging the Leinster players with lots of Paddy references throughout the game. Denis wanted to know if Richard had anything else to say. I still have a photo of Hickie touching down pinned up at my work desk. He has all of his hair :shock: . I also remember this game because it was our 1st h-cup win in France. I think Darce went home on a stretcher as Broy slid into his back while darce scored his try, very much a case of foul play. Matt Williams decided not to cite, as he was affraid of a tit for tat responce from Clermont, as they inferred that they would cite Bod. The media attacked Leinster and Williams, as they often did for a failure in principal. Our great win was largely over shadowed. The bad blood between the 2 teams was at boiling point.

The return fixture was absolutly animal in a very crowded Donnybrook, they came for revenge, more than for the winning of a h-cup game. It was a real game of inches, an extermly physical game played out on a bald pitch Donnybrook in very cold conditions. We won 12-9 with O'Meara kicking all the points. A fantastic contest.

I also remember this foundly as on returning to Clermont fans told me that Leinster would not win, as knowone wins here. When I told theM that Leinster had ALREADY beaten them before in Clermont they told me, no , I was wrong Leinster had never beaten them in france. I think they erased it from memory. :D
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Clermont v Leinster 2002

Post by cormac »

We had a good bit of fortune in France as it was a pretty clear forward pass from Spooner that set Hickie up for the try.

Two things stand out in my memory of the return game in Donnybrook. The crowd spent the entire match baiting Bory any time he got near the ball, and the noise off a tackle from David Quinlan on his 5m line that echoed around the ground.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Thanks BB! I was looking for the team sheets for this when I saw it mentioned on the ERC site the other day.
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

The worst years of ASM's history, between 2002 and 2006... Sad period for us.
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Good to know a few of the lads have been there and done it anyway. ;)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Thanks BlueBlue - exactly what I needed to be reminded of after this morning injury updates!
Summer is ready when you are

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

What an opportunity we had that year.

Amazing pool performance, winning all matches and facing the prospect of a home QF, SF and Final...

Such a pity we didn't term up against Perpignan.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre ... =2002-2003
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

simonno6 wrote:What an opportunity we had that year.

Amazing pool performance, winning all matches and facing the prospect of a home QF, SF and Final...

ah jaysus, dont need to be reminded of that, I'm down enough.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Rémy63 wrote:The worst years of ASM's history, between 2002 and 2006... Sad period for us.
Makes the good times all the sweeter. What do you remember about this game or return match in Dublin.
drive for 5
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

This was an important milestone for Leinster Rugby, but it's not a win from which the current crop of players can draw too much inspiration in my view. Look at the Clermont team; it's predominantly journeymen and second rate internationals.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Rémy63 wrote:The worst years of ASM's history, between 2002 and 2006... Sad period for us.
Makes the good times all the sweeter. What do you remember about this game or return match in Dublin.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

tackle-bag wrote:This was an important milestone for Leinster Rugby, but it's not a win from which the current crop of players can draw too much inspiration in my view. Look at the Clermont team; it's predominantly journeymen and second rate internationals.
Just a trip down memory lane here for the fun of it, not drawing any parallels just remembering days past.
drive for 5
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Apologies! :-) For bringing it up and also for spelling 'turn' as 'term' (one of those days.)

Was still a great season.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

simonno6 wrote:

Apologies! :-) For bringing it up and also for spelling 'turn' as 'term' (one of those days.)

Was still a great season.
It was and the beauty of h cup back games were well understood.
drive for 5
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

BlueBlue wrote:
True. We have now the chance to be well managed, financially and sportly.

I was only 13 at this time, I didn't go the stadium a lot of time (my father is a footix :roll: ). I just remembered the quarter final we lost against Castres for 1 point.
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

I'm sorry, but I've been reading the HEC opponents thread and such is the level of pessimism that I've come to the conclusion that Leinster have actually never beaten Clermont.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

sid wrote:I'm sorry, but I've been reading the HEC opponents thread and such is the level of pessimism that I've come to the conclusion that Leinster have actually never beaten Clermont.
Yes, I'm waiting for Private Fraser to make a post. It seems, we have absolutely no hope and should withdraw from this year's competitions. Jesus, we've done plenty of magnificent, unpredicable things before- qualifying from this HEC group and even beating Clermont away would be far from the most fantastic.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

tackle-bag wrote:This was an important milestone for Leinster Rugby, but it's not a win from which the current crop of players can draw too much inspiration in my view. Look at the Clermont team; it's predominantly journeymen and second rate internationals.
And Jimmy Marlu. What a great name for a winger.
BlueBlue wrote:The return fixture was absolutly animal in a very crowded Donnybrook, they came for revenge, more than for the winning of a h-cup game. It was a real game of inches, an extermly physical game played out on a bald pitch Donnybrook in very cold conditions. We won 12-9 with O'Meara kicking all the points. A fantastic contest.
Anyone know what the official crowd was that night? I was still in school at the time but remember Leinster had that policy that schoolkids could go in for free with their parents. We had no tickets so stood outside DBrook asking men could we be their sons for the turnstyle. Probably a group of 8 and most people obliged. But there was nowhere to see the game. Stood on the Wesley end gates.

Great times
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

suisse wrote:Anyone know what the official crowd was that night? I was still in school at the time but remember Leinster had that policy that schoolkids could go in for free with their parents. We had no tickets so stood outside DBrook asking men could we be their sons for the turnstyle. Probably a group of 8 and most people obliged. But there was nowhere to see the game. Stood on the Wesley end gates.

Great times
Although I had my Season Ticket, it was not an all ticket match, and so many people turned up on the night (Fri 13th Dec'02) that they ran out of fivers for change at the turnstyles (it was 15 euro in) and had to issue 'IOU's'. I don't know the official attendance but it was certainly wedged on the Wesley end where we we're that night. As someone else mentioned above, it was the first time I had remembered Donnybrook having anything approaching an hostile atmosphere after the Bory incident.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Attendance was recorded as 7,500 which I'm assuming was the official capacity of the ground at the time. I'm guessing the actual attendance was a good bit higher.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish