Jamie Heaslip

Re: Mike McCarthy will join Leinster next season

Post by sarah_lennon »

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Hmmm, just reading that, it looks like Connacht are not happy with Leinster about it, either.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Hmmm, just reading that, it looks like Connacht are not happy with Leinster about it, either.
They're happy to quote Nathan White as a player they've "strengthened with" when that move made us significantly weaker
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

They think Irony is a way of getting creases out of shirts
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Connacht have nine former Leinster or Leinster [and Ireland] U20s in their senior squad: Matt Healy, Kyle Tonetti, Dave McSharry, Paul O'Donohoe, Davey Moore, Mick Kearney, Dave Gannon, Jason Harris-Wright and Nathan White.

It's just the other side of the argument, especially when the phrase 'well-trodden path' comes into play.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Lets hope he works out better than Carr, and to a lesser extent, Cronin; who went from some of the leagues best players to squad players

EDIT (and Hagan)
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Well if the rumours are true and Cronin goes back to Connacht in the summer, I presume there will be general outrage about that too. Wouldn't like to see it happen btw, but it's Cronin's own choice.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've already said this elsewhere but if Cronin goes then I really hope it's to Munster. Look at Sherry's performance on Saturday as to why I think that would be a good move.

Actually it'd be great for Irish rugby if himself and Hagan both went to Munster.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've already said this elsewhere but if Cronin goes then I really hope it's to Munster. Look at Sherry's performance on Saturday as to why I think that would be a good move.

Actually it'd be great for Irish rugby if himself and Hagan both went to Munster.
I'm continually amazed Munster aren't beating a path to his door. He's better than anything they have and from an Ireland perspective, the three top hookers starting at the three top provinces would be ideal. But according to some Munster posters on here, they've no interest in him and want to stay with Sherry and youngsters like Rael. Hagan would probably do alright there too. He can blow hot and cold for us but he's certainly better than Archer anyway.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Lets hope he works out better than Carr, and to a lesser extent, Cronin; who went from some of the leagues best players to squad players
Cronin is playing some of the best rugby of his life, he's not exactly a squad player starting against Clermont. I don't blame McCarthy moving, this will be one of his last contracts and he probably wants to see if he can push himself further, the draw of the coaching ticket is a huge factor I'm sure. Yes Carr could have spent more time being the try scoring hero in Connacht but he chose to come and fight for a place at Leinster, his home province. It probably hasn't worked as he would have hoped but he is still very much involved in a winning squad. The traffic has definitely been heavier east to west.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've already said this elsewhere but if Cronin goes then I really hope it's to Munster. Look at Sherry's performance on Saturday as to why I think that would be a good move.

Saracens have one of the best defensive lineouts in Europe. Sherry was alright and is more accurate throwing than Cronin. I wouldn't mind Cronin ahead of Varley but for Irish rugbys sake it might be better if he went back to Connacht. Munster have a few good academy hookers too.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

dropkick wrote: Saracens have one of the best defensive lineouts in Europe. Sherry was alright and is more accurate throwing than Cronin. I wouldn't mind Cronin ahead of Varley but for Irish rugbys sake it might be better if he went back to Connacht. Munster have a few good academy hookers too.
You haven't been watching Cronin since he came to Leinster then because his throwing accuracy has improved massively and his completion percentage would be better than Sherry or Strauss for that matter. Sherry promises a lot in the loose, but Cronin constantly delivers more and his scrummaging and general off the ball play have improved a lot in his time here too.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I think Cronin has overtaken Strauss as the better player fit for Leinster. Strauss' work in the breakdown in peerless, but we have other dogs who can hunt. We're dominating a lot of set pieces these days and Cronin is at the centre of a lot of that. Where we're lacking a little this season is in ball carrying line-breakers and Cronin is way more effective than Strauss these days in getting behind and (so importantly) running trail lines behind other carriers.

I'd probably prefer to see Cronin stay than Strauss, if I had to call it today.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

dropkick wrote:

Saracens have one of the best defensive lineouts in Europe. Sherry was alright and is more accurate throwing than Cronin. I wouldn't mind Cronin ahead of Varley but for Irish rugbys sake it might be better if he went back to Connacht. Munster have a few good academy hookers too.
I don't rate Sherry for many more reasons other than throwing. He gave away two mindnumbingly stupid penalties for going off his feet which killed the momentum for Munster on Saturday and if I was Penney I'd have hauled him off at half time for them. The first one was bad enough but to do it twice was just stupid.

One of his strengths is meant to be his carrying but for me he just puts his head down and runs into people instead of looking up and playing what's in front of him. If he did that then he'd be a far more useful carrier because he's obviously a strong boy. He also loses the ball in contact too much and his handling is generally poor.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

jezzer wrote:I think Cronin has overtaken Strauss as the better player fit for Leinster. Strauss' work in the breakdown in peerless, but we have other dogs who can hunt. We're dominating a lot of set pieces these days and Cronin is at the centre of a lot of that. Where we're lacking a little this season is in ball carrying line-breakers and Cronin is way more effective than Strauss these days in getting behind and (so importantly) running trail lines behind other carriers.

I'd probably prefer to see Cronin stay than Strauss, if I had to call it today.
Or indeed the tail end of last season. That said I can see the move back to connacht happening. Horse trading.

Obviously Munster don't want him as Rael actually is the second coming. Or just god or something.
http://www.rael.org/home
And he has lots of hot chicks at his gatherings.
http://www.google.ie/search?q=rael&suge ... 20&bih=955
decided not to post dodgy links.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

For those of you who haven't read the Connacht announcement here it is to marvel at its hypocrisy. Well done Connacht rugby! Despite being initially sympathetic I don't give a sh!t what you think about this any more you bunch of whiny hypocrites.

"Tom Sears explained “We have been aware of Leinster’s interest in Mike for some time. It is disappointing they have persistently targeted Connacht players in recent years, particularly when often not in the best interest of Irish Rugby.”

Connacht Rugby has recently strengthened its playing squad with the arrival of experienced professionals like Dan Parks and Nathan White, who together with existing senior players have assisted the development of a crop of talented indigenous young players. Connacht Rugby will continue to work with the IRFU to find a world-class replacement for Mike and to further build and strengthen our squad, with a view to delivering more success for Connacht Rugby. "

I imagine Tom might want to kick the PR person's arse for serving him up like that.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

fourthirtythree wrote:For those of you who haven't read the Connacht announcement here it is to marvel at its hypocrisy. Well done Connacht rugby! Despite being initially sympathetic I don't give a sh!t what you think about this any more you bunch of whiny hypocrites.
I think thats a bit harsh, Connacht get done by the IRFU and this was just a case of frustration imo, I think targeting Leinster is wrong. As said before Munster and Leinster have taken players off them in the past as well as the Aviva Premiership teams so I can't blame them being frustrated again when they look to be building not just the 15 on the team but a stronger club (stadium and squad), and then they lose one of their best players.

I had a look at the Connacht forum and most of them are very gracious in it and seem to be frustrated at the IRFU rather than us (except for one who seems to have a huge dislike for all in Leinster). As a Leinster fan I am delighted for him to be coming, I would of liked to see him stay but in reality if it wasn't us Munster or Ulster would of signed him
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I don't agree with the remarks from Tom Sears, but I also don't agree with this signing in general terms. There is no comparison to be made with the moves of many of the players being mentioned:-

Matt Healy (didn't have a Leinster contract, needed game time), Kyle Tonetti (came from Sale having been offloaded by Leinster), Dave McSharry (wasn't a senior Leinster player, just a member of the academy), Paul O'Donohoe (made only 8 starts in 3 seasons at Leinster, needed game time), Davey Moore (came from Quins having been offloaded by Leinster), Mick Kearney (from Dublin, but was a member of the Connacht academy), Dave Gannon (played 1 minute for Leinster's first XV against the Borders in 2005), Jason Harris-Wright (came from Bristol having been offloaded by Leinster) and Nathan White (a foreign import and the only player on the list whose loss actually weakened the Leinster squad, presumably moved to Connacht because of the lengthier deal on offer there).

Similarly, there's no comparison to be made between the signings of Carr (a Leinster player who returned having obtained valuable game time) or Cronin (a Munster player who also left his home province to seek additional game time). It was always known that both of those guys were going to Connacht for its role as a development province.

The Connacht side is made up of 3 constituent elements in my view:- (a) players from the other provinces who are there for development purposes; (b) foreign imports on short term deals; and (c) indigenous players who form the spine of the team. McCarthy, although born in London, falls firmly into the final category. He speaks regularly in interviews about his desire to represent the province of his grandparents, who hailed from Belmullet. He is arguably Connacht's most important player.

Don't get me wrong, McCarthy is obviously a willing participant in this deal, but it's one that I think Leinster should have been loath to offer. Connacht need McCarthy a lot more than we do; we could attract another player of equivalent standard, Connacht will probably wind up with some second rate Southern Hemisphere lock to replace him. If Connacht is to survive as a province, they need as many players in the team as possible from category (c) above.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Guys I think you have to keep a perspective on this, and may have a think about it from our side. Macca means a lot more to Connacht than just a decent player, and that is where the hurt is coming from. He has become part of the fabric of this team and one of it's leaders, I would equate the move as say BO'D moving from Leinster to Munster three or four seasons back, could you imagine the hurt seeing him come back to the RDS wearing Red.

From our side we see ourself making some progress after years of having IRFU under-investment and appointments (Bradley) foistered upon us holding back our progress and then bang our best player is gone. It's not just the player on the park we have to replace he is a stone cold legend out west.

There is no hypocrisy about the comments because Connacht have never tracked a senior Leinster player for recruitment, White was gone from Leinster (the Bent contract was in place before we signed him). There has been no Leinster first choice player who has moved across to Galway, they have been players either out of contract or who have moved away previously. Carr (Rock)/Keatley (Tarf) were playing before they came west, and Hagan baled from UCD before playing for them, Gannon was playing for Blackrock when he came to us first and we resigned him from Exeter.

The worst part of it is the timing in that we are in a really critical part of the season for us, this announcement could really kill the momentum form the win last Friday stone dead...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali