Drico back in training

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Drico back in training

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Mea Culpa, mea culpa.

How could I, but I ommitted Isa from that list. A genuine mistake because he qualifies on any list in that category
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Just one point, big players get injured too.

Eamonn Sheridan was possibly out biggest ever back and he barely played in three years because of constant injuries.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Sure big players get injured and small players can tackle big players but I wonder if rugby will follow the likes of American football and basketball and end yo being a game played by freaks. I also can't help feeling that over time, smaller guys hitti g or bei g hit by bigger guys is going to accelerate career threatening injuries - i think the average career length of an NFL player is just 3,5 years. I'm not sure a TOP club will ever have a centre partnership the size of Darcy and Odriscoll again.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Flash Gordon wrote:Sure big players get injured and small players can tackle big players but I wonder if rugby will follow the likes of American football and basketball and end yo being a game played by freaks. I also can't help feeling that over time, smaller guys hitti g or bei g hit by bigger guys is going to accelerate career threatening injuries - i think the average career length of an NFL player is just 3,5 years. I'm not sure a TOP club will ever have a centre partnership the size of Darcy and Odriscoll again.
There are loads of guys their size playing NFL. But the career span is ridiculously short. Mostly because players don't have to tackle with their arms. They can launch their heavily armoured bodies at full sprint into the knees of another guy running full sprint - helmet first. Result, one torn cruciate and one serious concussion. Size of the individuals involved is only an aggravating factor!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:Sure big players get injured and small players can tackle big players but I wonder if rugby will follow the likes of American football and basketball and end yo being a game played by freaks. I also can't help feeling that over time, smaller guys hitti g or bei g hit by bigger guys is going to accelerate career threatening injuries - i think the average career length of an NFL player is just 3,5 years. I'm not sure a TOP club will ever have a centre partnership the size of Darcy and Odriscoll again.
That's running backs, not your average player. Most other positions can still have lengthy careers of 10 years plus, depending on their luck. Running backs get such a constant battering these days that if they get five top years they're doing well. The days of a Eric Dickerson or a Walter Payton are gone.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Donny B. wrote:
That's running backs, not your average player. Most other positions can still have lengthy careers of 10 years plus, depending on their luck. Running backs get such a constant battering these days that if they get five top years they're doing well. The days of a Eric Dickerson or a Walter Payton are gone.
Roger Goodell [NFL Chief/Owners' Rep] claims 6.0 years, DeMaurice Smith [Players Association Director/Players' Rep] claims 3.2 years.

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/04/18 ... dell-says/
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

hugonaut wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Roger Goodell [NFL Chief/Owners' Rep] claims 6.0 years, DeMaurice Smith [Players Association Director/Players' Rep] claims 3.2 years.

But are these figures just an average of what a player might player in an extremely competitive league, where players are cut pretty ruthlessly with a constant procession of college players coming in every year. In other words, it's not just that they play three years and get injured. Funnily enough I think the IRUPA came up with with a similar figure for the average length of a professional players career (six years). Top players, who are lucky with injury, would still get a decent ten year career wouldn't they? Bar RB's of course.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

And talking of lawsuits (on another thread) the NFL are terrified right now I believe and I would take any communication from them with the words "class action suit" ringing through my head at the same time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Henry more or less admitted last year NZ current doctrine was about having the fittest team in world rugby; higher tempo for longer, players make more mistakes when theyre tired/concentration drops, applies to other team too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

But are these figures just an average of what a player might player in an extremely competitive league, where players are cut pretty ruthlessly with a constant procession of college players coming in every year. In other words, it's not just that they play three years and get injured. Funnily enough I think the IRUPA came up with with a similar figure for the average length of a professional players career (six years). Top players, who are lucky with injury, would still get a decent ten year career wouldn't they? Bar RB's of course.
Running back is a tough old position, but there are still guys out there having decent careers. Part of the issue is that if you look at Frank Gore: he's 29 and has 7 seasons under him. He's done alright but he's not doing a lot to keep the average up. A lot of guys aren't going to keep getting contracts if they're not doing a lot right, it's a very competitive position. Injuries are only a part of that, though probably a bigger part with running back.

Looking at how hard the NFL is to stay in for a player, the example I like to use is Troy Smith. He won the Heisman trophy with the 2nd largest margin ever (he got 86% of the votes), he was a decent backup for the Ravens, signed for the 49ers in 2010 he got them half their wins for the season (in 5 games as starter he was 3-2) and even won himself a SI Offensive player of the week award. He didn't get a contract extension and hasn't played an NFL game since. He didn't have any injury problems.

If you count the guys who don't make it much past their rookie year/initial contract, then football careers start looking a lot shorter. The successes tend to stay a fair bit longer.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cheers Ronk. Was a big NFL head in the 80's and 90's and even played a bit for a Dublin team for a little bit around then (no pads or helmets and played every down either as an offensive or defensive lineman - proper ironman football!!!!). But to be honest, I lost a lot of interest once free agency came in and I really haven't followed the game closely since. Back in the day the rushers were still respected though and injury permitting, you'd still expect them to have a decent enough career.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Joe has just been interviewed on RTE at Leopardstown. He said Luke, Rob & BOD should be ok for Edinburgh match.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/ ... 09282.html
elfan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/rabo-dire ... to-return/

OMFG

That would be almost the whole HC squad back.

Imagine the luxury of being able to select.

Reddan
Sexton
McFadden
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
Nacewa
R Kearney

With say

Boss
Fitzgerald
D Kearney

on the bench.

And still have

Cooney
Madigan
Carr
Goodman
O'Malley
Conway

in reserve. :shock:

Only forward out (if Strauss returns) would be Quinn Roux.

If we are going to climb a mountain. At least we would have the mountaineers to do it.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

johng wrote:http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/rabo-dire ... to-return/

OMFG

That would be almost the whole HC squad back.

Imagine the luxury of being able to select.

Reddan
Sexton
McFadden
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
Nacewa
R Kearney

With say

Boss
Fitzgerald
D Kearney

on the bench.

And still have

Cooney
Madigan
Carr
Goodman
O'Malley
Conway

in reserve. :shock:

Only forward out (if Strauss returns) would be Quinn Roux.

If we are going to climb a mountain. At least we would have the mountaineers to do it.
At this stage I'll believe it when I see it.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I'm down in Carton for the night with the Current Mrs Mauler & sprog#1 & I went down to look at our National team train earlier. Drico was taking a full part as was Super Rob with the girls of the backs. Cronin & Strauss both trained too. It was just a light semi unopposed but greet to see the lads back on the pitch. They looked pretty sharp it has to be said going through a few moves & line outs.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

elfan wrote:Joe has just been interviewed on RTE at Leopardstown. He said Luke, Rob & BOD should be ok for Edinburgh match.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/ ... 09282.html
Will believe it when I see it (for Embra)
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Mauler wrote:I'm down in Carton for the night with the Current Mrs Mauler & sprog#1 & I went down to look at our National team train earlier. Drico was taking a full part as was Super Rob with the girls of the backs. Cronin & Strauss both trained too. It was just a light semi unopposed but greet to see the lads back on the pitch. They looked pretty sharp it has to be said going through a few moves & line outs.
In Carton as well with the current Mrs Hippo, arrived just in time to see them all traipsing back from training. Nice digs they have here.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Are they in.Carton today too? (Friday)
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Amz wrote:Are they in.Carton today too? (Friday)
Apparently so
AKA Peter O'Sullivan